Thread: The Book Thread

Hybrid View

"In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson (he also wrote "Devil in the White City") The inner flap refers to his writing as "narrative non-fiction". It's non-fiction, but I think it's written in a way that makes one want to keep reading.

My mom read "The Help" for her book club, and she really liked it -- I asked her to let me read it before she returned it to the library. But my dad took it back, so now I'm on a waiting list for it.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson (he also wrote "Devil in the White City") The inner flap refers to his writing as "narrative non-fiction". It's non-fiction, but I think it's written in a way that makes one want to keep reading.

My mom read "The Help" for her book club, and she really liked it -- I asked her to let me read it before she returned it to the library. But my dad took it back, so now I'm on a waiting list for it.
    I read "In the Garden of Beast" over the weekend. Could NOT put it down. It is on the best seller list as non-fiction. My book club did "The Help" last year - great book.

We are doing "George, Nicholas and Wilhelm" this week. Another really great read.

3. Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Don't know how it works in the States but here in the UK you can use wireless connection or/and the computer wi-fi. Failing that you can connect the Kindle to the computer & download that way.

I got mine today and am just loving it. Among the works I downloaded were the complete Shakespeare collection and The Illiad, both of which I would never have bought in book form, and best of all were completely free!
    Woot! thank you for the info. i didnt know it could be done by computer also. now im not iffy about getting one in the future if a time presents itself.

yep you cant beat free thats for sure

this what im reading: Wolf Legend - A Werewolf Novel though the PDFs are easier to read but her dA page is more up to date.

its not technically a book but oh well,, thought id post it anywho

I just noticed that someone mentioned a kindle e reader, my son is thinking of buying one from the states for me,are they really good, i am not sure i want to stop buying books, i kind of love having them, but the e reader makes sense, would be good for my arthritic hands not to have to hold a heavy book,and my eyesight is not the greatest ,need new glasses, so i gather you can make the text bigger, opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

Just finished homecoming by cathy kelly, enjoy her books,and now reading Mercy by jussi Adler-olsen, won this book and so far it is quite good ,different to what i normally read but good all the same.

Next book is Angelina Jolie's authorised autobiography by Andrew Norton, won this book also , will make interesting reading i think.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I recently read the entire Evergreen series in memory of Belva Plain - including her last book Heartwood. I had forgotten what a wonderful storyteller she was

Now I'm into Land of Painted Caves, Jane Auel - amazing detail, amazing research. I haven't read her books for several years and hope to pick up copies of Plains of Passage and Stone Shelters in Portland later this summer - missed those two in the series Auel writes about an incredible civilization in pre-historic Europe during the Ice Age - her characters are so advanced in so many ways - a lot to learn about leadership and managing relationships among co-habiting peoples. The series is named Earth's Children.

Some others read over the past months include: My Secret Daughter (forgot author name); and if you like Susanna Kearsley - The Rose Garden is excellent! I have read most of Kearsley's books and really enjoy the historical aspect of her stories.

Has anyone read Americans in Paris ... I'm curious ?
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    I just noticed that someone mentioned a kindle e reader, my son is thinking of buying one from the states for me,are they really good, i am not sure i want to stop buying books, i kind of love having them, but the e reader makes sense, would be good for my arthritic hands not to have to hold a heavy book,and my eyesight is not the greatest ,need new glasses, so i gather you can make the text bigger, opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

I didn't think I'd like a kindle. I love BOOKS. (I have them all over my house, lol!) I love the feel of a book in my hand. I love the way an old book smells... I remember reading the Nancy Drew books from the library as a kid and how they smelled... it's such a unique smell.

However, I got a kindle for my birthday last week. I am LOVING IT. I have read 5 books already. I tuck it into my bag and read the 20 minutes before I start work. I read at lunchtime. I read while I wait for hubby to pick me up after work. I am amazed at how crisp the lettering is on the "page". I don't know what took me so long to get one of these.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

ok i think you have me convinced already, just the price tag is a bit hefty straight up, as i usually buy most of my books second hand,but i think it would well pay for itself in the end, i think it will be gift to me though as i sure cannot afford one.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I debated a long time. But hubby insisted I actually GET a birthday gift this year since I usually do not. I got the one "with special offers" so it was about $25 less than the regular one. I'm not seeing any intrusiveness with the ads, so that was money well saved.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

9. Also guys dont forget theres more than just the Kindle. theres the Nook; Sony; Kobo; iPod
    those are just the ones i know of.

decisions decisions decisions LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    I read "In the Garden of Beast" over the weekend. Could NOT put it down. It is on the best seller list as non-fiction. My book club did "The Help" last year - great book.
    I'm having a hard time putting it down! It's a fascinating, compelling story. The ambassador was on alert but others high up in the State Department couldn't or didn't want to hear it.

My mom took out from the library a book of poetry compiled by Caroline Kennedy. I am looking forward to reading it.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I'm having a hard time putting it down! It's a fascinating, compelling story. The ambassador was on alert but others high up in the State Department couldn't or didn't want to hear it.

My mom took out from the library a book of poetry compiled by Caroline Kennedy. I am looking forward to reading it.
    Update... I finished "In the Garden of Beasts". Publishers Weekly used the word "mesmerizing" in their review and it certainly is. The ambassador was sending warning after warning and the people on this side of the Atlantic Ocean couldn't or didn't heed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Our Daily Meds: How the Pharmaceutical Companies Transformed Themselves into Slick Marketing Machines and Hooked the Nation on Prescription Drugs by Melody Petersen.

I will never look at drug advertising again without remembering what I read.
    Holy buckets! I must get this!