Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

Hybrid View

Which Scandinavian crime mystery are you reading now, Carole?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Pat it is called MERCY by Jussi Adler-Olsen, so far not exciting, but i think it will get that way only on page 63 of a 504 page book , so long way to go yet.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Thanks, Carole. I will watch for that one. I haven't seen books by Jussi Adler-Olsen here yet, but I will check at the mystery bookstore and the library.

I just finished reading "The Black Path" and before that "The Blood Spilt," both by Asa Larsson of Sweden. (The first A of Asa has a little circle over it, but I can't do that with my keyboard.)
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

is the writer related to stieg then? they both sound good books,what did you think of them, off to bed now to have a read before sleep.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Of Scandinavian writers, this couple is worth mentioning:
    http://www.scandinavianbooks.com/cri...ll-wahloo.html

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I've just begun reading 'The Ode Less Travelled' by Stephen Fry.

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=uOKa9poDqwcC

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Thank you, Randi. I've read some of their books. In fact, that reminds me I've been meaning to get to the next one "The Man on the Balcony," I think it's called. They're very good!
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Thanks Randi. I just bought the Kindle edition of Roseanna (First of the Martin Beck series), a bargain at 99p.

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    is the writer related to stieg then? they both sound good books,what did you think of them, off to bed now to have a read before sleep.
    I don't know if she's related to Stieg. I think Larsson is a pretty common name in Sweden. The books were quite gripping if very grim. Psychological mysteries sort of on the line of Ruth Rendell if you've read any of her books. VERY creepy, too!
    Death thought about it.

Pat it is called MERCY by Jussi Adler-Olsen, so far not exciting, but i think it will get that way only on page 63 of a 504 page book , so long way to go yet.
    The library doesn't have it, and the mystery bookstore owner had never heard of it or the author (right away she asked me "Is it Scandinavian?"). Today I found it on amazon.com, so I ordered it. It's coming from the U.K. and might take more than a month to get here!
    Death thought about it.

Oh dear if you wanted it i am sure if you paid for postage once i have read it i could have sent it to you, as long as you were not in a hurry , as i only read a little at night before bed,mind you quite a big book, might cost more to post than to buy it off amazon.
    Furangels only lent.

Oh dear if you wanted it i am sure if you paid for postage once i have read it i could have sent it to you, as long as you were not in a hurry , as i only read a little at night before bed,mind you quite a big book, might cost more to post than to buy it off amazon.
    Oh, thank you, Carole. I'm sure the postage from New Zealand would be quite a bit. Amazon isn't costing very much. The postage is still $3.98 (their usual postage charge) even for this one coming from the U.K.
    Death thought about it.

Carole the Kindle is amazing! My son gave me mine and it is such a blessing as I have failing eyesight from Diabetic retinopathy. I can make the print big enough to see more easily and the page is crisp and easy to read from with no glare so it is easy on one's eyes. You can get many books for 99c and sometimes even free from amazon which is good as I am a prolific reader. Also it will let you upload books from the free internet libraries like Gutenberg press. I say go for it and enjoy! I have hundreds of books I can no longer see to read which makes me sad but this is a great substitute.
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Recently finished two non-fiction -

Superbug: The Fatal Menace of MRSA by Maryn McKenna

Our Daily Meds: How the Pharmaceutical Companies Transformed Themselves into Slick Marketing Machines and Hooked the Nation on Prescription Drugs by Melody Petersen.

I will never look at drug advertising again without remembering what I read.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilith Cherry View Post
    Carole the Kindle is amazing! My son gave me mine and it is such a blessing as I have failing eyesight from Diabetic retinopathy. I can make the print big enough to see more easily and the page is crisp and easy to read from with no glare so it is easy on one's eyes. You can get many books for 99c and sometimes even free from amazon which is good as I am a prolific reader. Also it will let you upload books from the free internet libraries like Gutenberg press. I say go for it and enjoy! I have hundreds of books I can no longer see to read which makes me sad but this is a great substitute.

I love my Kindle! I got mine in May after my rotator cuff surgery because I wasn't able to do much for a few weeks and I was going mad with boredom.

Right now I am reading "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard. I cannot believe what this gal went through at such a tender age and came out a survivor even after being held by those monsters for 18 years. Her book is an inspiration to me.