Thread: Compulsive guarding

Compulsive guarding

My parents are the loving guardians of two beautiful cockapoos....sisters from the same litter. They never want for anything, because my father is retired and is at home to shower them with affection around the clock.

But over the past several months, the more dominant one has developed a worrying habit of guarding my parents' bed, where she sleeps. Even when the entire family is in the other room on the couch, she remains on guard duty. This is odd, because I don't know when anybody has ever tried to take the bed from her.

She also hoards her cookies and guards them. It's not uncommon for her to gather three or four cookies and just sit watch over them. Sometimes she snarls if one of us gets too close to her cookies.

Any idea what the deal is? Thanks.

Sounds like a classic case of dominance and resource aggression. First, it's fine to baby your pets but when they cross a line, like yours has, you have to set the rules.

Rule #1 (Actually, it's the only rule) - Humans are the boss! Whatever you or your dad says, GOES. No buts ands or ifs.

In order to enforce this rule, you must set you and every human in your house as alpha. You need to understand what your dog is thinking. Dogs are pack animals and, as such, they have leaders (alpha) and followers (the subordinates). Currently, you and the rest of the family are followers. So how does one assert herself as alpha? NILIF or Nothing In Life Is Free. It sounds complicated, but it's very simple. The underlying message of NILIF is that you are boss and that you initiate *everything*. Dog wants a treat? Dog needs to Sit. Dog wants to go for a walk? Dog needs to sit calmly and wait for you to exit first. Dog wants dinner? Dog needs to sit/down.

You eat first. You give her toys and you take them away. If she growls at you, hand her a treat and take away her toy. Teach her that NILIF - nothing in life is free. Dog wants something? Dog needs to do something. It's as simple as that. And please don't let her go on the bed anymore. She can't be aggressive if there's nothing to guard.

You certainly have a big problem and the previous poster is absolutely right. Your dog needs some leadership from everyone in your family. Having your dog sit or do some trick before giving her anything. Also obedience classes are very important to help your dog accept you as leader. The page below might help you to sort out a plan to help your dog see you as leader. Hope it helps!

http://www.loveyourdog.com/boss.html
    Jan and 7 yo collie Bailey, CGC,TDIAOV

How to Love Your Dog
    http://loveyourdog.com

Therapy Dogs.Net
    http://therapydogs.net

Bailey at Dog of the Day
    Cody at Dog of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Dan
    My parents are the loving guardians of two beautiful cockapoos....sisters from the same litter. They never want for anything, because my father is retired and is at home to shower them with affection around the clock.

If you meant that literally, then that's a problem. Dogs need something
    to do & commands, walks or tricks to learn. Just do more than let them
    do their own thing all day.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt