Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shedding

Shedding

My dog is shedding a lot! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce some of the shedding?

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    Brushing. Preferable outside. There are multiple products on the market, I've tried many of them, but none have worked for Jenny.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

A good diet, regular bathing (for some dogs - works for Tango), and definitely regular brushing helps to control shedding. I don't use any of the fancy products such as the furminator and such on my dogs. On my smooth coated dogs I use a hound glove, which works pretty good and on my short and long coated dogs I use a metal comb, a pin brush, a ZoomGroom, and a shedding blade. All of those work for us. The amount of shedding has also decreased in my house since we switched their food (they were eating Nutro, they're now eating California Natural). They still shed of course, but not very much.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

If they're smooth furred, rub them with a damp rag daily, and get a lint roller because you'll never stop a dog from shedding!

Niņo & Eliza

What food do you feed? And do you add any supplements now?

Take your dog to the groomer to get bathed and they will dry him with a propr dog dryer and it will blow the coat and reduce the shedding, and they will brushe him.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    Take your dog to the groomer to get bathed and they will dry him with a propr dog dryer and it will blow the coat and reduce the shedding, and they will brushe him.
    That only works temporarily though, and just going by the username, I think this person has a smooth coated Toy Fox Terrier. So, while a groomer is great for some people and some dogs, it won't do much for this dog.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Get a turtle.

No, seriously. I agree with the damp rag, and also with brushing daily. It only takes a few minutes-leave a soft brush by the couch and while you are watching T.V. just brush the dog a little bit.

Adding some fatty acids might help too..you can get it the supplement from the vet.

Lets start with the diet first. A food low in digestability or high in corn, will cause shedding problems. Lets fix it from the inside out. What do you feed?

Toy fox terriers are light shedders. You're dog might be sick or hypothyroid if it is shedding alot. If you take it to the vet, and it's healthy, then try brushing it 1 or 2 times a day, and supplement with fatty acids, like others have said.

Adding fatty acids with a lower quality diet, is just going to make a greasy shedding dog.. lol.. Just tell us what you are feeding. .. Then we go from there.

Thanks everyone.. I usually feed her Beneful dry dog food or mighty dog cans of beef... She is pretty healthy she was just at the vet...

Beneful is high in carbs, and low process protein. Its not bad for a commercial diet, but with the added grains and low protein, it is probably why the dog is not holding a coat. If you have to feed a kibble diet- and considering you feed less of the ones I am going to list- it actually costs you the same amount of money- Chicken Soup for dogs, Solid Gold, Bil Jac, Nutro lamb and rice... Here all 4 are available petsmart- not sure about your area. Change the diet, then wait 6 weeks. Keep in mind the first week the dog will shed more- the reason- the dead coat that is rejuvenating is dropping, in week 2 it will decrease and by week 4 totally normal.

Thanks borzoimom.. Just wondering what do you feed your dogs? I hear a lot about making your own dog food at home, but I just don't know much about it.

It's hard to keep a GSD from shedding, but I find brushing her quite often helps. I also add a tablespoon of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) to her food and gone is the dandruff and dry skin and heavy shedding. *Sigh*. I indulged in an Electrolux vacuum cleaner!!!!! I figure shedding is the worst thing she does!

I've been Boooo'd!