Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you buy Iams?

I also do not put much weight in what Peta puts out.
    I am a contributing member to the Doris Day animal foundation,
    and I recall in their news letter giving praise to Iams for
    turning a right into a wrong last year. (I do not recall what it was)
    I am sure I would have seen something in their newsletter
    if Iams was abusing animals as Peta tells it.

----<---<--<{(@

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadapit
    Never have, never will. I used to feed Nutro but I heard it went to heck in a hen basket also as borzoimom said.
    It did? Hmmm, well Jenny's doing fine on it, and has a sensitive stomac, so I'll just keep her on it.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

Never fed Iams, never will.

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

I dont know what do belive about the cruelty because the site is PETA and they go waaayyy overboard a LOT. but I would never ever feed or reccoment IAMs because the food itself is cruddy their new commercial is driving me up the wall with "everything they need and nothing they dont" meanwhile the food is packed with grains and corn both of which are filler and utterly usless to dogs! oh then there was a cat one too, something about a nice a healthy cat formula consisting of greens and grains...ummm...cats are Carnivores!
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I'd never, ever feed Iams. Even if it wasn't for the "so-called" cruelty they do to animals, I wouldn't feed it. My dogs certainly wouldn't do well on a diet mostly made of by products and corn.

I only really like Natura Pet's products (California Natural, and Innova atleast) and as long as I feed kibble, that's what Tango and my next pup will be eating.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

I feed Iams and my cats did fine on it.I buy nutro now.I think Iams is ok.I used to believe PETA don't anymore.I think they are more of a cult group then animal rights group.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

I think we used to feed IAMS but that was when I was like 9 or something. I wouldn't feed it to my dogs now because it's such a low quality food. I want them to be healthy! Roxie and Emmy(foster) are currently on Burns Fish something lol I'll have to look at it and I'm switching Marty, Alex, and Maggie to Solid Gold Wolf King. So I know both are awesome quality dog food.

Also I do not believe all the animal cruelty stuff because I think PETA is mostly BS and started it.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

To people who won't use products on their pets from companies who test on animals, ask yourself these questions....

1) do you vaccinate your pets?
    2) ever had surgery done on your pets requiring anethestic (ie; spay/neuter)?
    3) use any type of prescription medications on your pet (ie; antibiotics, siezure meds, eye/ear drops, sedatives, etc)?
    4) ever had any type of bloodwork done on your pet?
    5) ever even visited a licensed vet for any kind of treatment?

All of these things could only have been produced/perfected through animal testing.

I don't advocate animal testing for human products (ie; cosmetics etc) however for certain animal products/procedures, I don't see how they could possibly assure the safety of the product, or the effectiveness of it, without testing it on the species for which it was designed. JMHO

And for the record I used to feed Iams until I started working where I could get a discount on the Hills Science Diet which is what I'm feeding now, however I never had a problem with Iams itself and still don't.

As for P.E.T.A. ...... Copied from their own website.....

“If using animals is unethical, why does the Bible say that we have dominion over animals?”

Dominion is not the same as tyranny. The Queen of England has “dominion” over her subjects, but that doesn’t mean that she can eat them, wear them, or experiment on them. If we have dominion over animals, surely it is to protect them, not to use them for our own ends. if they had stopped here it wouldn't have been so ridiculous! There is nothing in the Bible that would justify our modern-day practices, which desecrate the environment, destroy entire species of wildlife, and inflict torment and death on billions of animals every year. The Bible imparts a reverence for life, and a loving God could not help but be appalled by the way that animals are treated today.

Guess P.E.T.A. never read the OLD testament of the bible??

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

PETA has raised false alarms about many companies before.
    I feed my cats IAMS and they love it. I've tried others and they had problems with vomiting. They hate Nutro. I've also tried Feliday. They didn't like that either. I take everything PETA says with a grain of salt. They very quick to point a finger yet PETA themselves have been found guilty of killing cats and dogs and freezing their carcasses, because they believe all animals should not be confined.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

When Iams was first brought to market it WAS a great brand of dog food. It was good quality with little fillers. Then someone else bought the company and now it's crap and full with fillers and other garbage. Not to mention all the abuse they do testing it on animals.

but even if I did I would usualy just buy whats on sale .
    You wouldn't be able to keep switching their diet like that, they would become extremly sick.

Hills Science Diet
    That's another brand that has lots of fillers and is a very cheap brand of dog food.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Just to clarify the cruelty thing, PETA's videos were of a laboratory contracted to do research for IAMS, but the videos weren't of IAMS related tests. The ASPCA did an investigation into IAMS, unannounced, and found pretty darn good conditions, save a missing cat bed or two. A company as large as IAMS certainly wouldn't risk their rep. on horribly cruel experimentation, IMO, but I believe that some labs that they have HIRED for research have abused animals. I think that the IAMS labs are pretty kosher, at worst no worse than your average Humane Society as far a socialization/cleanliness. I don't know squat about IAMS, we feed our dog Medi-Cal Hypoallergenic, which seems to work pretty good, but there's a couple breeders that we know that swears by Eukanauba, which is made by IAMS.

You need to have some testing done to ensure that it is safe for your own animal to eat it, IMHO. Unfortunately, there will be laboratories that do this for the different food companies. However usually the animals are kept comfortable and <obviously> well fed so they can see how the food is working.

I never have and never will buy Iams or Eukanuba..it is way too expensive for the ingredients listed on the package.

Have you seen the new brand-MULTICAT. It will make your thin cats muscle up and your fat cats slim down!

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711
    To people who won't use products on their pets from companies who test on animals, ask yourself these questions....

1) do you vaccinate your pets?
    2) ever had surgery done on your pets requiring anethestic (ie; spay/neuter)?
    3) use any type of prescription medications on your pet (ie; antibiotics, siezure meds, eye/ear drops, sedatives, etc)?
    4) ever had any type of bloodwork done on your pet?
    5) ever even visited a licensed vet for any kind of treatment?

All of these things could only have been produced/perfected through animal testing.
    This makes a very good point, but these things NEED testing. If I can buy Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul for less than I spent on Eukanuba (That Syl ate as a puppy), why would I go to a company where it's possible they test on animals. Peta is crap and most of us know that, but the doubt alone is enough to make me stop. Also as I said, Iams food is not up to par. I am not against animal testing as a whole. If they can cure cancer and Aids by testing drugs on animals, then it needs to be done, but testing FOOD on animals makes no sense to me.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

I don't like the ingredient in most all dogs foods except the high end foods without fillers. I feed EVO personally, when not feeding raw, and before that used Canidae and Chicken Soup, although I read recently Chicken Soup removed some of the better ingredients and added more fillers so I'm glad I stopped using it as that came about. Iams, Purina foods, Hill's, all filled with crap dogs just don't need that turns into bigger piles of crap in the yard because it's just byproduct waste that they can't utilize in the body. I would not feed grocery store food to my dogs unless it was a matter of life and death starvation and that's all there was around to get.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Quote Originally Posted by Vela
    I don't like the ingredient in most all dogs foods except the high end foods without fillers. I feed EVO personally, when not feeding raw, and before that used Canidae and Chicken Soup, although I read recently Chicken Soup removed some of the better ingredients and added more fillers so I'm glad I stopped using it as that came about. Iams, Purina foods, Hill's, all filled with crap dogs just don't need that turns into bigger piles of crap in the yard because it's just byproduct waste that they can't utilize in the body. I would not feed grocery store food to my dogs unless it was a matter of life and death starvation and that's all there was around to get.
    I didn't read that about Chicken soup. Can you provide a link or let me know where you read that? I'd like to read it too. I don't want to continue to use it if they chnaged their quality.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)