Thread: Airlines these days. :(

Airlines these days. :(

What a nightmare. Sadly, my grandfather passed away last week and both my mom and I have existing reservations with an airline that interfere with the memorial service but they will not change our tickets by one day unless we shell out $365 EXTRA for both tickets.

It seems that airlines no longer have bereavement policies. I felt really upset talking about it to those uncaring airline agents over the phone. I really don't like to talk about my grandfather's passing at all with people like that but I was really trying to control my tears on the phone with them. I can't believe that they are so unyielding and tactless...I don't know what we will do now, probably just drive instead and end up wasting our fares.

For what it's worth, I don't think I will be flying anymore if I can help it. It seems like there is nothing convenient about it anymore and it's more trouble than it's worth. A 13 hour car ride is almost more enjoyable...I flew down to Arizona last week to see my grandpa in hospice and the waits were so long I might as well have driven.

Sometimes, by the time you have to get up at darkthirty in the morning to take that hour drive to the airport and get there a hour or more early because of all the security, then with layovers and taking so long to get your luggage, I do prefer driving unless it is an extreemly long drive.

Geez, my son and his wife got round trip tickets to come from Virginia to New Orleans for less that what they want for you to change the traveling dates on those! (The price was for BOTH of them, round trip!)

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Bring a death certificate & a memoriel date thingy into the airport, & then speek to a manager.

You have no idea how many stupid people use a fake death as a reason to change flight dates/times/ect.

If you have documented proof, they will more then likely change the day for you. Don't call in again if you can help it. Go in & talk to a manager at the customer service counter. If y ou can't go in due to distance, ask to speek to a manager & offer to fax in the documents ASAP.

Its not a garentee they'll do it, but I'm sure with proof you'll have a better chance.

First, I am sorry to hear of your Grandfather's passing. I have lost all of my Grandparents, so I know what you are going through.

I fly to Florida at least twice a year, and 2 years ago, while there for 2 weeks during the Christmas Holiday, my oldest cat, Tabitha, was acting very strange. My friend could not get her to eat or to even come out from under the bed for several days. She finally realized she needed to call me. And of course, knowing that she is elderly, I was freaked out and wanted to come home right then! I called the airline, and they were willing to let me change my ticket for only $5.00! They asked that I have the vet fax them something on his letterhead that it was a "family emergency" (this airline considered pets as family!!!! ) and they would honor the price difference!

Fortunately, before we got everything in order, another friend went over and Tabitha decided to quit being a stinker and she came out and ate and used the litterbox! Hrmph!

So, just wanted you to know that there are some airlines that are willing to help in a family emergency. I am just sorry that the particular airline that you are flying is unwilling to be so accomodating.
    Proud Meowmie of Sasha

RIP sweet Tabitha, my heart kitty. You are loved and missed every day. 1988 - 2010

Pembroke_Corgi,

I feel your pain.

When my daughter was 16, she was on vacation in Fla. with her father and stepmother. Christmas Day evening she went into seizures and was rushed to the hospital. They found a malignant lemon-sized brain tumor on her brainstem.

Trying to get a flight the day after Christmas was a nightmare!! In 24 hours, the rates went from $895 to over $1200!! Having started a new job, I didn't have that kind of money. My father paid for my flight.

I was scheduled to fly out on the day after Christmas and arrive in Fla. at 12 noon, in time to see my daughter before they rushed her into major brain surgery. Well, I went to my best friend's house for the night (got no sleep, obviously) so she could drive me to the airport. I called Delta to confirm my reservations. The woman said there weren't any. I was stunned and began sobbing. I told her the situation and she said there was nothing she could do, that all flights were fully booked. My friend's neighbor who was a former travel agent came over and got on the phone. She said she knew for a fact that airlines keep at least 4-6 seats empty for airline employees. She asked for a bereavement rate and the lady said no, that my circumstances was not under the guidelines of "bereavement" emergency. Um, hellllooooo??? I do consider a malignant brain tumor an emergency!!! After 45 minutes on the phone, I was able to get a flight.

Fortunately, my daughter survived the surgery and has been in remission for 14 years!!

After this fiasco, I wrote a 2 page letter to the president of Delta Airlines. I received a $300 voucher to anywhere in the Continental US.

I am so sorry you had to go through this. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your beloved Grandfather. If I were you, write to the president of the airline. Airlines do NOT like negative publicity. If that doesn't work, get the media involved. As I've said in past posts, the media is a very powerful tool to right a wrong.

((((HUGS)))) to you.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I am sorry to hear about your Grandfather.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt