Thread: Broken tooth

Broken tooth

I was scaling Visa's teeth yesterday -- when I got to one of her back molars, the pick slid into a crack and lifted part of her tooth up -- there was a big piece of tooth seperated from where it should have been. The crack filled with blood -- it is still very much attached to the gum. It didn't appear to hurt her so I imagine it may have been there a while and the nerves have already died? I haven't done her teeth for a couple of months. The tooth was already covered in tartar so I scraped away everything so sno bacteria can get into the crack. I will have to make a vet appointment and I'm going to use some Enzyme spray to kill any bacteria until then.

My question is -- do you think they will have to remove the molar? She doesn't have her Championship yet. It isn't on her show side so it's unlikely they would notice anyways, but just incase. Do you think they would just remove the part that is coming off?
    I've been BOO'd!

I just did a bit of research and I guess it will only have to be removed if thepulp isexpsode. I can't lift up the piece enough to see if it is exposed or not. If it is, her nerves would be dead because it doesn't hurt her -- she is chewing bones and everything on that side.
    I've been BOO'd!

Wolfsoul-
    I had a female shepherd that went over a 6 foot high fence and landed on her face. She broke the root of one of her canines. The vet said to remove because with root damage this could later cause her pain or abcess or loose the tooth to decay- affecting the roots around the surrounding teeth. I was told at the time the only time they remove a tooth is if the tooth is damaged beyond the doubt of causing problems later, or if there is not enough of the tooth left. Good luck and keep us posted with what the vet says.