Thread: Feline AIDS postive cat in need of rehoming..(posted in rescue too.)

Feline AIDS postive cat in need of rehoming..(posted in rescue too.)

Hi Pettalk friends:

My MIL called me asking if I could post on here to find out if anyone would be able to take in cat that has just be diagnosed as having feline AIDS. She is a young black and white female cat and apparently is very friendly. She is going to try to send me some pics...so when I get them, I will post.

If you know of anyone that takes in these cats, or an organization that would, I would appreciate it. The woman, I am assuming has other cats, or fosters other cats, and so she can't keep her...and doesn't want her put down, of course!

Any help would be appreciated.

She lives in the South Jersey area, and I live in Maryland (very close to Delaware). Thanks again in advance.

I will post this in Cat General also...

Robyn

I Wish We Could Help, But Sadly Prayers Are All We Can Offer.
    We Hope That Somehwre, Theres A Place For That Poor Cat.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

*bump*

I'm posting this in support of anyone considering taking in a non-aggresive FIV+ cat to be with their own negative cats. I have 5 FIV+ boys and they have been mixing with very young kittens, a very elderly cat, and others for 6 months now, and the only sickness has been the kittens getting colds and ringworm (doubtless from the shelter) and my Siamese coming down with cat flu after escaping into the garden last summer. The FIV boys haven't been sick at all. Dude has stomatatis, he'll always have it, but non-FIV cats get that also. They are all very normal cats.

FIV is carried in saliva and is transmitted through deep bite wounds. It's very fragile, is killed by regular soap and water, and doesn't stay viable for more than a few minutes when away from the body. I suppose I should be concerned that one the the FIV+ boys will leave some drool on a fragment of dry food and, seconds later, one of others will eat it, but I'm more likely to bring in cat flu or FIP on my shoes than something like that happen.

FIV is not a death sentence, to either the cat that carries it or the cats it comes in contact with. With the kind of care we all offer our cats, it shouldn't make any difference to a cat's life. I'm a little more alert with them if they don't eat as well as usual, etc, but that's always turned out to be a false alarm.