Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with fish breeds??

Help with fish breeds??

Hey guys, I have a cold water tank(46 gallons) and right now I have 4 Koi, a comet, a molly, and just some other random gold fish. I was wondering if anyone knows of any other types of fish that I could add into my tank bescides gold fish??

Id love to have a variety of fish but I have to also make sure they can live toghter.

Any help would be gretly apperciate.
    Off The Rock's Devilish Diva; Sasha

Off The Rock's Meriadoc Brandybuck; Merry

Off The Rock's Peregrin Took; Pippin(RIP)

And the Off The Rock's Fish tank

Your tank is overstocked and you should not add more fish. Fancy goldfish should have 10 gallons per fish. Single-tailed goldfish should have 20. Koi, which grow to 3", need hundreds of gallons. This is not just because of the size, but because of the bioload they have on the cycle. Do you know the nitrogen cycle? Here's an article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...q=2&fldAuto=21

Mollys are actually a brackish fish, they do best in warmer partially salted water. Platies can be kept in colder water, but they like to eat the slimecoat off koi and goldfish. Minnows can be kept in coldwater. No sucker fish should ever be kept with goldfish.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    No sucker fish should ever be kept with goldfish.
    May I ask why?? I have a plecostomus in my tank with my 8 goldfish, and they have been fine. They have lived in the same tank for almost 6 yrs!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by critter crazy
    May I ask why?? I have a plecostomus in my tank with my 8 goldfish, and they have been fine. They have lived in the same tank for almost 6 yrs!!
    Goldfish are slow movers. The pleco COULD latch on and suck the stress coat off the goldfish. If your current tank is fine, that's good. Fish aren't black and white, just because it's not advised to do something doesn't mean it won't work out.

Also, I agree, you should not add anymore to that tank. There are too many fish already.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

BTW, I have african cichlids, very fast movers and I've seen my pleco get close to latching on to even them.

Exactly why. Once other fish discover the slimecoat of goldfish the problem usually escalates and the fish get eaten alive.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by critter crazy
    I agree with you, I have a comet/koi hybred that is a foot long and 3 other goldfish with it, and I also have a sucker. My sucker has been in there for ever and is also half a foot long, he's really big. I feed him algae discs whenever I feed my goldfish so that he has his food and the goldfish have theirs. The only time my sucker has ever attached itself to my goldfish is if they try to take his algae disc, and then the goldfish know to leave him alone.

I agree though about the Mollys and other tropical fish. They can live with goldfish usually, but in alot of cases tropical fish can't stand the amount of ammonia that goldfish produce and end up dying from it. But sometimes tropical fish manage to live just fine with goldfish too, its your decision! You should post some pics of your goldfish sometime!

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

Wow, you got a lot of nice fish. We'd love to see pics of them!

I, too, have a sucker fish with gold fish and he has never tried to bother any of them. They have been together for years.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

It's been years since I've had a "real" freshwater aquarium (right now I have a 3 gal that's home to Kyle, my betta -- my other tank is saltwater). I never had problems with my pleco and my goldfish; I did, however, have problems with my goldfish and ANY other tropical species -- the goldfish were aggressive towards them.

It's hard to resist the temptation to add "just one more fish" but, as mentioned, bioload is of concern. Is your tank planted? If not, how about adding some live plants? They can add decoration and be beneficial as well.

We'd love to see pics of your tank if you have any!

well I didnt think I had that many fish.. I have almost a 50 gallon tank with like 8 fish. I know my Koi will get as big as the tank will let them, and the other fish I have havent grown any since I got them last summer...

but here is a pic of my tank. It now has a background on it

and here is my fave Koi. Hes a nice size, probally 5 inches. and hes a nice gold color.

For some reason my water looks cloudy... I have no idea why that is, Its probally the chemicals that I treated my tank when I set it up.

Im still learning. THis is my first real tank, and I really love it and I am in love with fish . I want to hopefully set up a salt water tank one of these days.

and here is a video I took of the tank one day when I was bored.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aYgnY5GSyeE

Oh about the live plants, I was really wanting to get some... maybe ill get some plants instead.

My sucker fish will eat any little fish we add. We started giving her blood worms and shrimp to eat every couple days and throw in spinach and cellary ect she even like carrots but they need to be agged to be a bit soft first. Giving her extra helps algea waffers aren't enough. The last fish we had disapear was old and looking it. I think now she just eats them after they die. I made the mistake of putting one of those tinny frogs in there when she still wasn't so huge and it dissapear fairly quickly. So nothing real small in there with her.

Quote Originally Posted by My Peanuts
    Goldfish are slow movers. The pleco COULD latch on and suck the stress coat off the goldfish. If your current tank is fine, that's good. Fish aren't black and white, just because it's not advised to do something doesn't mean it won't work out.
    Yeah they get along just fine, like I said they have been together for almost 6yrs. I also have two turtles in there two!! he he he he!! no one bothers anyone. The pleco will grab onto the turtles once in a while, but that is only to get them out of his hidey spot!! he he he he!! pretty funny to watch! The pleco i have is about 6-7 inches long, and 6yrs old. I got him when my son was about 6months old.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Sorry for getting a little off track but, I'm a little concerned for my betta now. At petsmart they gave us a "Soft lipped pleco" (dwarf) and some plants to add to our betta's 10 gallon. When we got home we figured out the pleco is also called bulldog pleco and prefers colder water. Will they be ok together? The pleco is the same color as the gravel so the betta doesn't do anything to it but could it harm the betta? We have a heater and spotlight on it. (the spotlight only durring the day) I don't live with this tank so I can't monitor it all the time either. My dad takes care of it but he (I think) killed my other 2 bettas with filters too strong even though I told him several times not to turn the filter on.

Niño & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by Sadie_Sasha
    I know my Koi will get as big as the tank will let them, and the other fish I have havent grown any since I got them last summer...

E[/url]

Your tank is nice. I love freshwater fish! I should post pics of my cichlids soon. I have 2 frontosas that I’ve had for years. They are getting really big. I also have a Kenyi that I had to set up a separate tank for because he’s to aggressive for my Fronts. I also have a big big Pleco in with the Fronts. Then I have Typhoon, the wonder betta. He’s been sick and just bounced back so I think the Typhoon the wonder betta is his full name now!

I'm not trying to be mean with this, but that info is incorrect. Many people think that Koi and Goldfish grow to the tank size, but in reality they usually die before they would grow out of the tank because the living conditions are too small. Goldfish can live for 20-30 years or even A LOT more, but we only know them as lasting a few years and a 10 year old seems ancient. It's not your fault for thinking this, it a widely believed misconception.