Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Highly upset!! - Fred Phelps to Visit

Another definition for credence is acceptance. Most words have more than one meaning, after all, it all depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

It's really a viscious circle......

They protest for shock.

A local paper/TV station runs the story.

They get press out of it (No such thing as bad publicity)

They protest again, and get more attention. This time instead of the local TV station, it's CNN.

They get still more attention.

Ignore the bastards and let them fade back into the morass.

Yes, the stories have lead to counter protests, but they have also lead to the idiots getting attention which they would not have gotten had people simply looked at them, said "Damn, what a bunch of idiots" and looked away.

There's no hell like anonymity for idiots like this. They crave attention, and we stupidly give it to them.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human
    Another definition for credence is acceptance. Most words have more than one meaning, after all, it all depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

It's really a viscious circle......

They protest for shock.

A local paper/TV station runs the story.

They get press out of it (No such thing as bad publicity)

They protest again, and get more attention. This time instead of the local TV station, it's CNN.

They get still more attention.

Ignore the bastards and let them fade back into the morass.

Yes, the stories have lead to counter protests, but they have also lead to the idiots getting attention which they would not have gotten had people simply looked at them, said "Damn, what a bunch of idiots" and looked away.

There's no hell like anonymity for idiots like this. They crave attention, and we stupidly give it to them.

Hurrah! Another vote heard for censorship of the press.....

(and you are wrong on the word credence....nice try but it is rooted in the word "creed" or truth...)

1) Where did I say anything about censorship? I'm implying action by private citizens, not government entities.

2) http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/credence

4. Right here....

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human
    And as long as the press continues to give credence to whackjobs like phelps (and airtime, and ink.....) they will continue to do what they do.
    and right here....

"Ignore the bastards and let them fade back into the morass."

These whackjobs do what they do because they are whackjobs....they do it because their God tells them to.

They don't do it because the press makes them.

As an American who believes in the importance of a free press to a free society I don't think the press should be blamed for the actions of those about whom they report.

You suggest silencing the press. I disagree. It is important for us to know what kind of evil exists in our society. How else do we combat it?

5. So let's do your sentence again...

And as long as the press continues to give mental acceptance as true or real to whackjobs

yup...like I said...when has the press said that the deaths in Iraq were devine retribution?

or is it...And as long as the press continues to give Renaissance sideboard used chiefly for valuable plate to whackjobs?

All I am saying is keep the focus on the bad guys....the whackjobs as you call them (is that an okay word to use on here??) and not those who give us warning of the bad guys.

Sara,

Nowhere did I say anything about silencing the press.

Nowhere.

It didn't happen.

I don't hold your opinion that the press is a wonderful, incredible pure as the driven snow institution, but nowhere did I say anything about censorship.

Stop reading into words, and take them at face value.

It IS possible for the press to merely ignore things. It has happened in the past.

There's no rule stating that they have to report anything and everything.

7. <<shakes head>>

Your really don't see where you said it?

<<shakes head>>

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary
    <<shakes head>>

Your really don't see where you said it?

<<shakes head>>

" There are none so blind as those who will not see "

LH, you did not use the word" censorship", but faulted the press for covering
    the antics of this hate group. Same thing.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Different entirely.

Censorship is the GOVERNMENT taking action to block the press.

Nowhere did I say one word about government involvement.

10. And speaking of reading into words.... where did I EVER say I hold the following opinion????

I don't hold your opinion that the press is a wonderful, incredible pure as the driven snow institution, but nowhere did I say anything about censorship.

Stop reading into words, and take them at face value.
    So if you want to take your own advice....take my words at face value and stop reading into them.

Any time anyone has been critical of the press in any of the numerous threads discussing news coverage and news items, you have been defensive to the point of being combative. Judging from those numerous posts, one can only come to the conclusion that the press can do no wrong in your eyes.

Again, I never mentioned anyone stepping in as a censor, I just wish the media would consider the responsibility that is inherent with the rights they are constitutionally granted.

Back to the original point of this thread, it brings to mind a scene from "The Blues Brothers"

"Illinois Nazis? I HATE Illinois Nazis" (As Elwood floors the bluesmobile and runs the demonstrators off the bridge into the water)

12. Guilty as charged. I am passionate about freedom of the press. Flawed though it may be...and it is surely flawed...it sure beats the alternative. And you may know...combativeness is sometimes necessary when freedom is being encroached.

But, in the future, I would apprecicate if you would take my words at face value and not make assumptions. You know what comes from making assumptions???...even if they are wonderful, incredible pure as the driven snow !

Combativeness has it's place.

Casual discussion, as occurs here, where politics and the ilk are a sidebar to the point of the board, isn't the place for it.

Combativeness has it's place.

Casual discussion, as occurs here, where politics and the ilk are a sidebar to the point of the board, isn't the place for it.

Then why do you continue to argue your point (whatever that is).
    Are you one of those people who always has to have the last word?

Anywho, our Indiana legislature also passed a law forbiding the protest
    to interfere with military funerals.As far as I know, the law has not been
    challenged & the protest group has stopped showing up in Indiana.
    Last edited by lizbud; 12-09-2006 at 05:31 PM.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I just wanted to update everyone - Our side = 400+............Phelps and Clan = zero

They didn't show! We don't know why he didn't appear as it was posted on his webpage that he *was* coming but he didn't.

I'm thankful that they didn't show. No one should have to listen to that sort of garbage when mourning their family.
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!