Thread: Summit County Animal Control, Ohio

Summit County Animal Control, Ohio

This is sick. Do not click the link, and venture to the second page if you have a weak stomach. This pound inhumanely euthanizes animals, by gassing them. But now they want to save gas - obviously, then, they should euthanize humanely correct?

No. They are placing LIVE dogs and cats into freezers and freezing them to death.

http://www.summitcare.org/

A Border Collie rescue friend of mine is located in Ohio, and has seen this for herself. I'm so disturbed. Are we dealing with humans?? We can't be. These are very ill people, who maybe could benefit from multiple sessions of therapy.

What is wrong with the government of Ohio? Why do they allow this??

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

A few years back, they had a huge investigation in one of our neighboring counties that they would inject the euthenize drug into the heart or not enough, then place the dogs in the freezer. .. ( still alive..)

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    Very disturbing, anyone who can do this is certainly not human. And the puppy (the dehydrated skinny... bloodhound mix? ) was so cute. I'd have adopted him in an instant. If they couldn't find an owner for an adorable young puppy, they weren't trying very hard.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

Ohio does have some horrible animal "control" pracitices. There are still counties that use gas to euthanize animals, and at one point the "gas" in a particular county was back the truck up to the "box" and use the exhaust to gas the animals.

There was a group Called Humane Ohio Education that worked to get laws changed in several of the counties to stop this, but I can no longer find their website, so they may no longer exist.

Part of the problem from my understanding is that there are no state wide laws about this kind of thing, most are on a county basis. Until state wide laws are passed (which is something Humane Ohio was working for), work is done to convince each county to change their ways. Not easy.

As awful as it is the method used, the sad truth is that thousands of animals are euthanized all over the world every day (by many means). This just goes to show how important it is that every person do their part by spaying/neutering, educating people about responsible pet ownership, discouraging the use of animals for 'back yard' breeding, and the 'just one litter' mentality. Until we can get the rest of the world to realize how serious the pet overpopulation problem is, things like this will continue to go on day after day whether done humanely or not. Sad truth of our times and people's ignorance and lack of responsible pet ownership.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

It is a sad fact that so many animals are PTS every day, but sadder
    still when the process is not done humanely. If so many are killed, let it
    at least be painless for them.

I did not view the link, I can imagine it is painful to watch.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I can't look - your description alone turns my stomach. I grew up in Cuyahoga Co. and used to work with two women who had previously worked at the dog pound. They were the ones who had to carry/lead those poor dogs into the gas chamber. They couldn't even talk about it without breaking down into tears. One told me she had to quit - she couldn't save them all and she just couldn't walk them to their deaths anymore.

I really encourage everyone I talk to who says "but I just want her to have one litter" to reconsider for reasons like this. SPAY & NEUTER NOW!