Thread: Prednisolone and vomiting

Prednisolone and vomiting

Can prednisolone cause vomiting? I gave Panther a prednisolone pill last night as instructed by my vet and now he has been vomiting all day today. He stopped vomiting this past Wed. and now he is starting again. I can't believe this is happening.

Owned by Booboo, Magic, and Shadow
    RIP my precious Panther, BooBoo, and Shadow. Mommy misses you!
    ------------------

I don't know - is it supposed to be given with food?

Maybe call your vet and see if a lower dose can be given to start with.

Hugs - poor Panther! Glad he was okay for bit, just another wrinkle to figure out.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Do you think maybe his stomach is just upset from all the meds? I mean, I know I get like that. Too many meds makes my stomach very upset. Add in tums or something else, and it's like adding insult to injury, if you know what I mean. More isn't always better.

Poor Panther, I've been reading his story, and I hope you find something that helps soon.

I appreciate the well wishes!

I took him back to my regular vet Friday so he could stay overnight and get IV therapy since he still was dehydrated. He also received injections of potassium, baytril (an antibiotic), and prednisione. I picked him up sat. afternoon and he was doing a little better. He was eating some baby food and hadn't vomit. I gave him a pred. pill last night too as instructed by my vet. I woke up at 3 a.m. this morning with Panther vomiting on my bed again. Needless to say it has been a rough day.

I will call the vet tomorrow and see what she says. It is so frustrating!! Everytime I think he is getting just a little better there is another setback.

Owned by Booboo, Magic, and Shadow
    RIP my precious Panther, BooBoo, and Shadow. Mommy misses you!
    ------------------

I'm so sorry to hear this. Like I mentioned before, this sure does bring back sad memories about my Pepper because he was also on pred pills and this caused him to start throwing up blood. The vet thought that it was irritating his stomach so maybe this is what is happening with Panther. I would stop giving him the pred and see what happens. I'm glad that you'll be calling your vet again too. You could also call an ER vet to ask for some advice. I sure hope that Panther will start improving soon. Please take care.

Here's some info on Pred side effects from http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=1&SourceID=52

SIDE EFFECTS
    Prednisone and prednisolone have activity in the kidney leading to the conservation of salt. This creates the classical side effects of prednisone/prednisolone use: excessive thirst and excessive urination. If this occurs, another steroid can be selected or the prednisone/prednisolone dose can be dropped.

Prednisone/prednisolone are commonly used for several weeks or even months at a time to get a chronic process under control. It is important that the dose be tapered to an every other day schedule once the condition is controlled. The reason for this is that body will perceive these hormones and not produce any of its own. In time, the adrenal glands will atrophy so that when the medication is discontinued, the patient will be unable to respond to any stressful situation. An actual circulatory crisis can result. By using the medication every other day, this allows the body's own adrenal glands to remain active.

Any latent infections can be unmasked by prednisone use. Feline upper respiratory infections is a classical example. When a cat recovers clinically, the infection simply goes dormant. Glucocorticoid use could bring the infection out again.)

Glucocorticoid hormone use can be irritating to the stomach at higher doses.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022