Thread: Heartworms in cats?

Heartworms in cats?

Hello...I have a question regarding heartworms. Potter is at the vets office right now for his comprehensive exam, they asked me if I wanted to purchase heartworm medicine...I said yes I need some for both dogs they just had their last pills. They said what about potter?

To be honest I never knew cats could get heartworms. I didn't vacinnate my rb gigi against everything because she was indoors....potter does go outside...are heartworms really a risk to cats?

Any info would be appreciated....
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Here are two links for you to read about heartworm disease in cats.

http://www.manhattancats.com/Article...m_disease.html

http://muttcats.com/articles/heartworm.htm

I hope these give you the answers you are looking for.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

I am treating Butter with Revolution for fleas and ticks. It also contains the heartworm preventative. Until I started seeing this "cats only" vet, Dr. Robinson never suggested it for him. Since we have to go see Dr. Anderson about every 5-6 weeks for Butter's skin, she just applies it when we are there. I guess its one of those "better safe than sorry" things. It is $12/dose when he gets it.

Logan

I figure I'll do the better safe than sorry thing also. It sounds like for all three animals its around 100 or a bit more, I am not sure how many months of treatment I am buying but the dogs must be close to 70 so potters is not too much.

Bye the way I feel sorry for everyone there at the vet, potter is very vocal

I have been frosted!

From what I've read and since I live in the south where mosquitoes are abundant I would give it to my cats if they went outside.

From Decker with Love

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat
    From what I've read and since I live in the south where mosquitoes are abundant I would give it to my cats if they went outside.

Thanks Jazzcat...by the way I don't like the fact that he goes out, my rb gigi did not, however I have inherited him from my brother who kept him outside most of the time for 6 years he cries incessently at the door to go out

I have been frosted!

Don't feel too guilty, Caseysmom. I have battled, in my mind, about Butter, over the years, but he came to me as an adult stray and he likes to be outdoors. He hangs close to the house, but he still wants to go outdoors. We have decided to let him have his freedom, knowing the risks. My Mimi was an indoor/outdoor kitty, too, and she lived a long, healthy life to the age of 17. Who could ask for more?

Logan

If I lived somewhere safer I would probably let Ripley be an indoor/outdoor cat but it's not safe here. When we first moved here 13 years ago Ripley slipped out on us and after that there was no keeping him in. After about 4 months of going out he didn't show up one night and we couldn't find him. Two days later he somehow drug himself over the 5 foot fence and up the deck to the back door after being shot with an arrow. Poor guy had the tip still in his leg and the vet found it. Rotten people!!! After that we agreed "no more outdoor" cats.

My Dad's cat is indoor/outdoor and is very happy and healthy at around 10 years old.

From Decker with Love

If I could be sure that the Found Cats would stay on our property, I would let them go out without heistation.
    But I think that they would roam and get either lost or hurt.
    I have to enclose at least part of the backyard one of these days.
    The Found Cats will love that.
    We are praying for Potter, that the White Coats can help him.
    The Found Cats send Potter a Big MMMEEEEEEEOOOOOOWWW!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I have never really investigated heart worm in cats. but my vet recommends, and I use, Revolution. It protects against heartworm, ticks, fleas and a bunch of other stuff. It is a once a month application.

I picked Potter up, he checked out fine. I bought a six month supply of the once a month chewable tablets. He is such a love bug.

I have been frosted!

I had the scare of a lifetime when I took in my boys two years ago and Calvin tested positive for worms. Apparently just because they test positive doesn't mean they actually have them.
    The vet was pretty well floored since they are indoor only cats but I guess mosquito's don't know the difference! Anyway, I think you are right to be safe than sorry. My boys are on heartworm pills and I havent' found any indication that taking them has any ill side effects.
    Good luck!!