Thread: Urgent! Please, Advice needed!

Urgent! Please, Advice needed!

Adele just attacked Vallis. He has a puncture mark right above his eye, it's how close to his eye that worries me. It is somewhat deep. I've cleaned it well with hydrogen peroxide and put antibiotic cream on it. It's stopped bleeding and he seems ok, his vision doesn't seem affected but it really worries me.

He seems ok now but I am worried about the fact that it is close to his eye. Should I take him to the vet as soon as it opens or will he be ok if I keep the area clean and apply lotion to it?

I am very upset. Those two have had fights before but no one has really been hurt before this.

If you have any advice please share! Thank you in advance.

Casey did that once to bubba...it was more superficial but it looked a bit scary in fact my husband mr. cheapo wanted me to take bubba in, I put triple antibiotic ointment on and watched it for a day and it improved right away.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I'd keep an eye on it - if it looks worse tomorrow, infected or swollen or at all warm, I'd take him in. Because it is a puncture wound, do you have anything - a bandage or something covering it so nothing gets in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    I'd keep an eye on it - if it looks worse tomorrow, infected or swollen or at all warm, I'd take him in. Because it is a puncture wound, do you have anything - a bandage or something covering it so nothing gets in there?
    I could put a liquid bandage on there, I will do that. I'm afraid if I put a bandaid on it he will just try to scratch it off.

puncture to the head are superficial, and while they look terrable they are harmless and clear up on their own quickly, Happy recently got a puncture so close to her eye it split her eyelid, I cleaned it up and within a day or 2 she was fine.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Thanks for the responses. I will keep a close eye on it and keep it clean and take him to the vet if it seems like it's worsening at all.

He seems to be doing well, but I am going to make sure he doesn't play with the other dogs for a day or too, I don't want them to get any saliva or anything into the wound, or accidentally hit it with their teeth.

poor baby! I would keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, take him to the vet, which I am sure you will. I hope he is feeling better soon! ((hugs)) do you know what triggered the fight?
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I agree that sometimes the wounds can appear to be worse than they are. I understand how scary it must have been. But I am also sure that you will keep an eye on it and do whatever you need to keep it safe and clean. Your a good Mom. Adele, I am very disappointed in you. Please be nicer to your brother from now on.

Poor little guy! I hope he's feeling better soon. Star and Wilbur have gotten into it a few times, it's no fun.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

With a puncture wound, I would take them to the vet. They will give a antibiotic injection. Dog bites are not as bad in infection as cat bites, but with a puncture, I would just take him in. Your first aid at the time sounds just fine, but I would follow up on it.

Thanks everyone. He seems to be doing very well and the wound looks clean still, I'll be sure to take him in if anything looks worse though.

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses
    do you know what triggered the fight?
    Vallis & Adele have had some dominance issues and have "fought" before but this is really the first time either dog was hurt. Marta is the undisputed leader and she often breaks up arguments, usually by barking at one when they start acting aggressive or growl at each other.

Last night Eric was just cooking in the kitchen and didn't see exactly what happened. I just heard it and came running. Most likely there was food involved, so we are going to crate them or gate them out of the kitchen during meal times from now on.

my dogs get into it over food as well. I am glad he is doing okay, though.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..