Thread: Rebates for Titles

Rebates for Titles

One of the things I am offering the adopters of Sheena's puppies is rebates. For example I am hoping all the owners will get prelim OFA's for hips and elbows(at a year old) and then official OFAs at two. For doing this I plan to offer a rebate. Just a small cash amount for doing it and maybe to be an incentive to get them to get it done. This way I can have records of what is going on with each pup in a litter. I plan to do the same for certain titles they get on their dogs. Agian this will help me see the temperments being produced in teh lines, drives, and so forth. Plus it is a good way to strengthen the bonds.

What do you think of this idea? If your breeder offerered a rebate as an incentive would you been more inclined to get teh OFAs? Or titles? How much of a rebate do you think a breeder should offer for those things? I have not decided on an amount yet for each.
    Nicole

I did rebates on titles too! It encourages the offspring to be shown, and of course- gets the parents the title of ROM.

I think it's a great idea! I was toying with the idea of doing the same thing with my future Malinois litters. I got Kai's hips checked and plan on getting Kaedyn's done soon. I'm also training for agility and obedience so they'll have more titles soon.. but if Kai's breeder had offered a rebate/incentive, I think I may have been more driven to get it done faster.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Nicole- my breeder of my two borzois did what I did.
    With my shepherds I did 1/4 purchase price back for obedience title over CDX ( easier for a shepherd to get than a borzoi... lol) and half price back on Championship.
    As far as OFA, I required the dog to have their hips done. Afterall- its to not only insure the health of the dog, but also verification to you that your puppies are clear/ or good in hips. Also- I guarrenteed against hip displasia because I knew my dogs were clear, but if a dog did come up on hip problems, they didnt have to return their dog. They could keep their dog, as well as a replacement puppy.

borzoimom - There is no way I would give someone a $250 rebate for a title. I was thinking along the lines of $50 or so as rebate amounts. If I offered 1/4 of ht epurchase amount then in no time i could be paying them the cost of the puppy and not even own it. I want to give them an incentive not pay for their dog.
    Nicole

I was offereing an example. Any rebate is great!

I know. And I appreciate it. I just wanted to let you see the amount I could do. I must admit though if I had a dog form a breeder that offered incentives like yours I would defiantely have done them.
    Nicole

I don't think that I, personally, would get much incentive from a rebate for hips and such. I spent $250 getting Visa's hips and elbows checked, a $50 rebate wouldn't seem worth it to me. But that's just me lol. I guess you could think of it as a deal because you're getting $50 off lol.
    I've been BOO'd!

lolllllllllllllllllllllllll ohhhhhhh yea! Championship titled and obedience over CDX, you would have back 3/4... However- most of the time, people would take another pup of mine at a lower cost with this factored in as to the purchase price. I was happy because the pup was in a proven show home, and they were happy to continue.. lol. And lets face it- ribbons, crystal etc are addictive.. lol. My house is covered! lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 156.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	31669   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 157.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	283.3 KB 
ID:	31670   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painting hottie lr.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	301.2 KB 
ID:	31671   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Borzoi ribbon mantel.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	251.2 KB 
ID:	31672  

Rebates is an excellent idea and encourages the owners to do it.
    My friend gave partial rebates for OFA testing, obedience training, spay-neuter on Pet contracts.

I got my boy as a gift, but the rebates did encourage
    some of the pet homes to honor their contracts.
    (show homes were expected to abide buy their contract)

----<---<--<{(@

exactly kys- mine were required though to have their pups OFA'd. Main reason to prove their puppy was going to be fine. I had one person ask me " well how much does that cost?"... ( I didnt sell him a puppy... I figured if he was worried about a potentially crimpling disease in cost- and when I told him estimates- I got a blank look and a " huf" form him- , he would not care for the puppy properly if anything else happened..)

borzoimom: their pups OFA'd. Main reason to prove their puppy was going to be fine. >>>>>>>>>>

Another good reason my friend has the Pet Quality as well as the
    show pups OFA'd (at 2 years) is to help determine what diseases go back
    into their lines. As you know diseases can skip generations, and even
    though your breeding pair might be ofa excellent etc. doesn't not mean
    they are not a carrier. Thus genetics plays an important part in
    her breeding program.

----<---<--<{(@

Quote Originally Posted by KYS

Another good reason my friend has the Pet Quality as well as the
    show pups OFA'd (at 2 years) is to help determine what diseases go back
    into their lines. As you know diseases can skip generations, and even
    though your breeding pair might be ofa excellent etc. doesn't not mean
    they are not a carrier. Thus genetics plays an important part in
    her breeding program.
    Which is exactly why I am hoping to make sure the owners will do it. Which is the reason for ht erebates.
    Nicole