Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with aggressive behavior in Decker

Need help with aggressive behavior in Decker

Since Decker and Moxie have gotten back from the vet Decker has started showing some different and aggressive behavior. I'm guessing it has started now because he is finally feeling better.

He is very protective and aggressive over food now. He growls, swats and bites at Moxie if she gets too close and when he finishes his food he chases her off to eat hers. This has just become a problem since I'm feeding them prescription food at set times of the day and they no longer have food out around the clock but I have to do this to get their diarrhea under control. I do feed them apart in different bowls but he still gobbles his first and goes for hers. I know I can just keep them apart but I need to stop this behavior now because I'm concerned about how he will be when he is out with my other 5 cats.

The other major problem is his reaction to some toys. Last night I gave them a new toy which had natural feathers in it. He went crazy and started dragging it around the room to kill and hide and if Moxie got too close he growled and almost screamed and attacked her. He lashed out at us so badly that we had to scruff him to get it away and put it up. It was just a feather wand with some undyed feathers, no catnip. We experimented with dyed feather toys and he did not have that reaction but as soon as we gave him a natural undyed feather he acted that same wild way again. I know the solution is to never give him or have out any natural feather toys but I'm worried about what else will set him off, especially when he gets bigger.

He is also showing some big time temper. He gets overstimulated and mad when playing and has a hard time calming down. He reminds me so much of how Ripley was as a kitten and that scares me very much. I can't handle that again, especially with 5 other cats he may harm.

Anyone been through this with a kitten, especially a former feral one? Any suggestion on how to help him calm down and get over these behaviors?

From Decker with Love

I've seen many kittens behave this way. It's hard to really assess it from this post, but it sounds fairly normal to me. He is just learning to hunt for food and prey. There is usually one more dominant kitty in the litter. It sounds like the natural feather may smell more like a real bird than the dyed ones. I wouldn't be overly concerned, but just watch him as he gets a bit older. It might be a good idea to continue to scruff him and lightly shake him while telling him "no". This will help teach him that YOU are top cat! Try not to get too worried, my little Tiger still really growls and smacks his paw across the plate of food. He mostly only does it if it is canned food and "extra yummy"!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I'm just concerned because he was only growling and swatting before but now it is also biting and attacking Moxie over the food. I can tell she is frightened by him, heck me too because I see so much of Ripley in him and he violently attacked me so many times over the years. I do not want to go through that again.

It's not just me though, Richard is very concerned too. Probably because he knows I can't deal with or handle an aggressive cat well. My biggest fear is that he will hurt one of my others, especially little Scout who couldn't win in a fight with her shadow.

From Decker with Love

I can certainly understand your concerns! Just try what I said and see how it goes. I wish I had better advice for you!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I'll try it Kim, thanks. I have never learned how to scruff, Richard has been the one to do it when needed. Guess I better learn.

I wish Decker would grow up to be a smaller cat but he's already a lot bigger than Moxie and I've seen his Dad who is huge and he looks just like him so he's probably going to be a very big boy. Can you tell I have some fear issues myself? That episode with the feathers really freaked me out and I'm easily overwhelmed.

From Decker with Love

Lori, I'm sorry to hear that Decker has become more aggressive. Like Kim said, you need to make sure he knows that you're top cat and you can't let him know that you're scared of him.

My Starr used to be very aggressive with his food when he was younger. He'd swat and growl if any of the others got too close to his food and he'd also try to eat his siblings food. I just watched him and kept telling him no and I made sure that he didn't steal any of his siblings food unless I gave it to him. He's become much better now and sometimes he doesn't even finish his own food.

Hopefully Decker will learn that this isn't acceptable behavior and will grow out of it. I'm also thankful that Starr is a very petite boy. Pearl is larger than him now and I think that Ziggy will also outgrow him soon. This makes him less of a threat to them. Good luck.

Can you tell I have some fear issues myself? That episode with the feathers really freaked me out and I'm easily overwhelmed.
    I understand. I have one of those feather things on the end of a fishing-pole arrangement. Two fosters that I have had would go insane over it and I don't mean in a cute way, but in a scary one. They took it way too seriously and were aggressive toward anyone nearby--cats or humans.

My two cats catch real mice and bring them to me without nearly as much hysteria.

So, once I see that behavior, the toy will not come out again. They were OK without that toy.

I think Krazyaboutkatz is right and he'll outgrow the food issues.

Good luck to you.
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

I suggest two things.

Water squirt bottle. Since you are worried, and since you don't know how to scruff (I'm not even sure what it IS, let alone how to do it!), the water bottle should be handy to dissuade him the minute he shows signs of moving to her food dish.

Neuter him as soon as he is old enough. That may help him calm down a little bit.

Crystal started out fine, grew into a little monster who scarfed down her food and then moved in on all the other dishes, growled and hissed and grabbed food and ran to under the bed with it. I was going nuts with her and food. She arrived here as a 2 pound nothing and within 6 months was terrorizing the other cats! I diligently used the water bottle and some how 4 months later she was back to her prior sweet self. During that time she also got spayed. What did it? I haven't a clue. But I kept making it clear that this was NOT acceptable behavior. Lord knows, the other cats were too frightened by her to reprimand her themselves. Geesh! Calicos rule, so I've heard.

He is fighting for survival, remember he was out in the wild (with mom) a lot longer.
    Feed him separately so there is no competition and once he realizes that there will ALWAYS be enough (and he won't go hungry) he should settle down.
    Besides, I am fairly sure the adults will put him in his place!

KAK, hopefully Decker will be like Starr and get over it, thanks.

AbbyMom - thanks, I'm glad to know someone else has experienced that. Today I've put them in the sunroom where all the big cat's toys are and he's doing just fine with all those other type toys. I'll just make sure no natural feather things are out.

Freedom - Decker is already neutered. When we trapped him he was so wild I didn't think I could tame him so the vet neutered him so we could release him with his mom but then he calmed down. As for the water bottle so far it doesn't faze him but I'll keep trying. It worked well with breaking bad behavior with my other guys.

Jen - I may have to start putting him in the cage to eat and leaving Moxie out, or the other way around. I think once I get them back on regular food he will get better, I hope. He sure did learn a lot of things from his mom in those few weeks.

Thanks for the replies.

From Decker with Love

Whoa Lori. It sure sounds like you have quite the little spitfire there.
    I agree with Jen in regards to completely separating them during feeding time.
    One thing I would suggest is not to put Moxie in the cage, but Decker if need be. Also, no more real feathers either. What a little hunter.

Good luck with your little spitfire and I hope that he grows out of this real soon.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Decker might be a little scraed and is over reacting a bit by being aggressive.
    I agree with Jen that you might have to feed him seperatley.
    I hope you can calm him down , maybe the neutering and getting older will help.
    Miquelito was wild I hear as a Kitten, before he came to the Hotel and hes fine now.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I think separating at feeding is a great idea too. Would some Rescue Remedy or Feliway help in the short term?

See what your vet thinks.

Good luck with Decker.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Duh! I DO know Decker was neutered. I'm to YOUNG to be having senior moments!!!!!

Dad has a suggestion. May have to wait until they are off the special food. Dad wondered if maybe Decker feels as if he has no control over feeding times. Feed him separately from Moxie, AND give him less. Then he has to learn to come tell you when he is hungry; and of course you will feed him, as he had less to eat and can have a snack. Don't do this at bedtime, you want to sleep through the night! And don't do this on a day when you are going out for 5 or 6 hours.

Dad reminded me that during the 4 months she was this wild thing, Crystal learned to tell me she is hungry. Before that, with all the other older cats here took care of that and she never HAD to ASK for food. It just appearred and she probably didn't even know why, when, how.

As I said before, I don't know what made Crystal stop doing all that hissing, growling and stealing after 4 months. Just trying to think of things that happened during that time.

Sandra

Was Decker a rescue kitty?? Someone might have already asked you this but if he is he might not realize that he has a NEXT meal and it may just take sometime for him to realize that you will always feed him and he doesn't have to settle without a meal. I have had some of those problems with my male cat Tucker he was VERY protective of his food at first and to this day he still has to eat first and he over eats which in return makes him throw up. So I have those issues also I would hope the aggressive behavior might be the kitten in him but like I said Tucker had some issues but he still eats till he is sick so I think its attributed to the Alfa male in him that makes him do that. He has gotten better but he still eats as if its his last meal. Once a cat goes through that they seem to never forget. Hope that helps????