Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pup Poisons?

Pup Poisons?

I know chocolate and onions are poison to dogs. Another post said asparatame was also toxic. What are some more foods and household items, besides the obvious poisons, that I should keep my drooly little puppy mouths away from?

Tylenol too...plain aspirin is ok, but stay away from the other stuff. Our vet told us that a 40 pound dog could eat up to 5 ounces of PURE chocolate without it being fatal, if that helps any.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

There's a very complete list - including lots of houseplants, outdoor plants and other stuff you wouldn't even think of Here

Thanks guys.

According to Karen's link spinach is a toxin to dogs.I didn't know that! My pups love spinach!

Mugsy, the list also said not to give aspirin to dogs! You may want to check it out.

It takes as little as 3 tiny squares of pure dark chocolate to kill a dog.. Grapes are toxic in large numbers.
    here is a site..

toxic

toxic plants

Grapes! I gave Smokey a few grapes the other day - he loved them - but he threw up that night... No more grapes.

WOW! I'm glad I asked this question! Grapes, broccoli and garlic were all on the list. My dogs love grapes and broccoli! Garlic is in so many dog treats. Why would they do that, if it was toxic in large quantities?

Thanks everyone. Any more?

Wow! I was amazed by a some things on the list. Thanks for sharing!

I think they mean very large amounts.. One that wouldn't be expected to be eaten by a dog.
    I do feed PResley about 4 grapes every few days. I have always given her them. Garlic powder i also feed to my girl every now and then in her food. I think it is safe as long as you are not feeding them a bunch or so of grapes or a bunch of cloves of garlic...
    Now broccoli.. I gave to Presley long before i read that site and she hated it.. She does like it cooked though! but i don't give her it. She eats plenty of good stuff

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    Wow.... I give the dog garlic with her food at night against fleas...

Lots of people recommend that - I think, though, that sprinkling some garlic powder in the food is probably fine, but letting them munch on bulbs of garlic would be bad. Besides - can you imagine dog breath combined with garlic breath?

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    Originally posted by Karen
    Lots of people recommend that - I think, though, that sprinkling some garlic powder in the food is probably fine, but letting them munch on bulbs of garlic would be bad. Besides - can you imagine dog breath combined with garlic breath?
    Hehe... only the thought

Hi all,

Anti-Freeze - is a deadly toxin and it smells sweet so animals love to eat it.

Bleach- this isn't somthing puppies will drink, but if you mix bleach with urine it forms chlorine gas (very deadly). So don't use a bleach product to clean up a urine puddle in an enclosed area.

Rodent Killer, Warfrin- this one may seem obvious but it is one of the most common killers of domestic animals because people place this under beds and in closets and forget about them. The stuff is made to taste good so that the rats will eat it so a dog or cat will be just as interested.

Cheers,
    Tigeress
    No matter what happens at least my pets still love me.

Make a fast friend -Adopt a Greyound!!

My vet told me that venision & ham were VERY harmful to dogs! Took him at his word. Mine have not had either since I was told !
    Carl

Recently got an email via my sister that breeds, shows and raises St. Bernards that a woman's dog got hold of a box of raisins and ate it and died of kidney failure (if I recall correctly, it was a Siberian Husky, so imagine what less would do to a smaller breed)!! I'm sure it has to do with amounts, but guess there is a push to find out why grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs. Moderation is doubtless the key word for everything on that list, but keep an eye on your pet if you give him/her anything new -- you never know when an allergic reaction may occur. Another reason not to feed your dogs people food!!
    "Every creature is a word of God."
    Meister Eckhart, Animal Blessings
    Dog Potentials