Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Look what I just found on my backyard!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sophist
    I am a little amazed at the number of PT'ers who (especially after it having already been clearly established that she is in an urban area and this is not the turtles' native habitat) are in favor of just abandoning it. A cat would have a much better chance of surviving, but I don't think anybody would be so callous as to suggest dumping a kitty.
    Sophist, I understand your concern. I keep checking back to see any updates. Reptiles and especially turtles/tortoises have a special place in my heart. But only one person has mentioned release after it was established that the turtle is not native there, and she probably just hadn't read through all the replies (happens often). I had made my original suggestions based on the thought that the turtle was a wild turtle there. I lived in town and frequently had turtles visit our back yard, even had them hibernate in the brush pile before. Sometimes on a warm day in November, December etc, they'd come out and scrounge a bit before burrowing back down. I guess that is what I was thinking of with this little girl. Now that more information is revealed, I'm in complete agreement with your advice.

It isn't, and in general, it is the difference between life and death for released herps.

Here is a list of some Cali reptile rescues:

http://www.anapsid.org/societies/calif.html

This is probably your best bet right here, tho. If they can't take care of you, they'd probably at least be the best resource to hook you up with someone who could:

http://www.reptilerescueca.org/
    I check on the first link you gave, and found the Orange County Turtle & Tortoise Club, but they do not list the phone number, so I emailed them. This one is the closest one. All other are anywhere from 1 1/2 - 8 hours away.

I'll keep you posted. Right now the turtle is released to my backyard, but he doesn't seem to move much. This morning I found him about 3 feet from where I left him last nite!

Thanks ~Jessie~

Quote Originally Posted by K9soul
    Sophist, I understand your concern. I keep checking back to see any updates. Reptiles and especially turtles/tortoises have a special place in my heart. But only one person has mentioned release after it was established that the turtle is not native there, and she probably just hadn't read through all the replies (happens often). I had made my original suggestions based on the thought that the turtle was a wild turtle there. I lived in town and frequently had turtles visit our back yard, even had them hibernate in the brush pile before. Sometimes on a warm day in November, December etc, they'd come out and scrounge a bit before burrowing back down. I guess that is what I was thinking of with this little girl. Now that more information is revealed, I'm in complete agreement with your advice.
    She did establish pretty early on she was a city-dweller, though.

She did establish pretty early on she was a city-dweller, though.
    I'm a city-dweller as well and I seen desert tortiouses near my house.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Quote Originally Posted by Uabassoon
    I'm a city-dweller as well and I seen desert tortiouses near my house.
    I've lived in Orange County before, and trust me... you don't see many. Especially not many that don't live in the wild areas of Cali.

M&M's Mom, have you still just left it in the yard? It does not sound like a healthy terrapin, so this worries me a lot. Did you try to contact Reptile Rhapsody like I suggested? Have you recieved a reply email?

I've lived in Orange County before, and trust me... you don't see many. Especially not many that don't live in the wild areas of Cali.

M&M's Mom, have you still just left it in the yard? It does not sound like a healthy terrapin, so this worries me a lot. Did you try to contact Reptile Rhapsody like I suggested? Have you recieved a reply email?
    I sent two emails, and just checked my mailbox a few minutes ago. No replies yet.

I placed her in the yard since Friday afternoon, checked it on Saturday morning, and found that it had not moved very far (only a few feet from where I left it) - On Saturday afternoon, we checked again, and she moved a few more feet (but still very much visible on my yard). My husband was worry, so this morning he placed it back into the container!

We're back at square one.

I called another rescue group, but no one answered the phone so I left a message. I came to the local petstore to ask them about it, and they said that it's a box turtle and could be kept as pet, which I don't want to for myself. Do you think I should ask around my family members and friends to see if anyone might want a turtle pet, in case I hear no response from the rescue groups?

Thanks ~Jessie~

Why haven't you called Reptile Rhapsody? Clearly, this little turtle isn't doing well. He needs help. He needs it right away, from the sounds of it. You an try looking for family members to take it, but if they have no idea how to care for box turtles it could be pretty tricky to nurse one back to help.
    Please call Reptile Rhapsody. If it helps, I will give you a phone card number to use. If they can't help you, they can at least get you in touch with the best people to save this life.

Why haven't you called Reptile Rhapsody? Clearly, this little turtle isn't doing well. He needs help. He needs it right away, from the sounds of it. You an try looking for family members to take it, but if they have no idea how to care for box turtles it could be pretty tricky to nurse one back to help.
    Please call Reptile Rhapsody. If it helps, I will give you a phone card number to use. If they can't help you, they can at least get you in touch with the best people to save this life.
    I called Reptile Rhapsody on Sunday (and just called again a few minutes ago) - no one answered the phone on both times.

Thanks ~Jessie~

If you are getting no satisfaction from the rescue groups, just call
    your local animal control number & they might better know who can take
    the turtle in for shelter,etc.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

People who work at pet stores are not experts. Ornate box turtles in particular are a very delicate species and should ONLY be kept by advanced reptile keepers and even then it is illegal to take them from the wild in most places. I would urge you very strongly not to just give this girl to someone as a pet. I hope you are able to get ahold of the rescue soon..

Quote Originally Posted by K9soul
    People who work at pet stores are not experts. Ornate box turtles in particular are a very delicate species and should ONLY be kept by advanced reptile keepers and even then it is illegal to take them from the wild in most places. I would urge you very strongly not to just give this girl to someone as a pet. I hope you are able to get ahold of the rescue soon..
    My patience is stretched for this little one. I don't want to keep it any longer, but are not yet able to get a hold of anyone who do.

I'll call animal control today after I get off work.

Thanks ~Jessie~

Quote Originally Posted by M&M's Mommy
    My patience is stretched for this little one. I don't want to keep it any longer, but are not yet able to get a hold of anyone who do.

I Know how you feel, when i had to call about the injured wild duck, it took forever to get ahold of someone let alone someone who wanted to deal with it! It made me very angry that no one wanted to help!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by M&M's Mommy

What did they have to say?

I understand your patience being stretched, but you are trying to save a life. I would just pay for you to ship her to me, but she certainly doesn't seem to be in good enough condition for it. Please don't get so frustrated that you stop trying. Have you left messages for Reptile Rhapsody? Did you try to call the rescue you emailed?

This is a pet who has been betrayed by her owner. Maybe you don't deserve to have had it dumped on you, but she doesn't deserve to die because of her owner's callousness either.

What was the outcome on this? I have been away and was wondering what ended up happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Logan
    What was the outcome on this? I have been away and was wondering what ended up happening?
    I called animal control, and they finally came to pick it up. The guy that came told me he's not sure what they would do with it, but they'll figure it out!!

Thanks ~Jessie~