Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Beloved Duke is at RB...

Oh Duke. I was doing some cleaning last night. Going through old cards and photos. Between the card from dad and the one from you with your paw traced on it, it was too much. All those photos of you frozen in time. How I wish there could be more.

I thank you for leading me to Dasher. He's got some impossible paws to fill but like my mom says, he's really trying. He's becoming more special to me every day. Last night, for the first time, I put down your favorite blanket and he slept on it, as he is now. I love how his face lights up when I get home. He's really become a happy dog and I'm so thankful. He and I really needed each other.

It still hurts so much to be without you. Not a day goes by that you're not on my mind. Part of me will always be empty because you're not with me. I miss you

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I miss you. I feel as if I'm going to die of a broken heart

9/3/13
    I miss you

Join me on this flight.
    [/SIZE]

11/12/06

Quote Originally Posted by dukedogsmom
    Awwww! *Eyes watering*

Remember he isnt gone! He is with you every day.

Anyway he wouldnt want you to feel sad... he would want you to think of the good times together and for you to be happy.
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

Oh Val i wish i was able to come on over there and give you a huge hug .

I think of you often special Duke, and your Mama too.

Val, I know how you feel. I have been there and still get those feelings (actually just yesterday).
    Hang in there. Duke is patiently watching over you and he did send you Dasher to keep you busy. Big hugs to you and Dasher.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

((((((((hugs)))))))))
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

(((hugs)))

Val,
    I know how hard it is. I still tear up sometimes thinking of Rose. But the other girls, Checotah and Miss Brown are there for me, and my sweet new pup Ranger, just as Dasher is there for you. Remember the good times with Duke, and give Dasher a big hug and try to let the sadness fade away. Dasher is there for you now and will be a heart healer. Dogs know.
    Joan

Quote Originally Posted by dukedogsmom
    LES (((((hugs))))) me too.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    LES (((((hugs))))) me too.
    Bless you as I do know your pain. It brought back a little of mine, too, because Duke had lung cancer, as well. I wish I could tell you it gets easier. If it does, I'm not to that point yet. I'm sure Duke and all our other RB dogs are giving Sherman a great welcome party right now. Wish I could do more for you.

9/3/13
    I miss you

Join me on this flight.
    [/SIZE]

11/12/06

I know I should be no tears on my birthay. I was on another forum telling someone that you'd make sure their dog would find her way to the RB and the tears came from nowhere, almost as hard as they did when I first lost you. Have a party there too, ok? I miss you.

9/3/13
    I miss you

Join me on this flight.
    [/SIZE]

11/12/06

HUGS to Cyber-Sibes and DukeDogsMom

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[hugs]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

This morning I told Dasher he was the best dog in the world after he had posed cute for a picture. After I said it I felt sad and a little guilty. I rephrased it and said in this world. This afternoon I was telling a friend about it and burst into tears. I miss you so much. The other morning when I got home from work, Dasher was laying just like you used to do, with his paw on the ledge and his head resting on it, looking out the window. Did you tell him that? He's also started "popping wheelies" at the front door when I'm getting ready to take him to potty. I'd like to think they're signs from you. As I lie here in bed with Dasher's head resting on my hip, tears fall for you. Thank you for sending him to me. He's such a sweet dog. He's a cuddlebug and makes it known he's glad I'm his mama now. Till we meet again, dear dog.....

9/3/13
    I miss you

Join me on this flight.
    [/SIZE]

11/12/06

I was cleaning out my emails and found this poem. I've kept it since I found it in November 2004, two years before I had to say goodbye to my dear dog. I was going to wait on posting it but thought I might forget about it. I saved it because it expresses how I, and probably others, feel about our heart dogs. My locket is the bracelet I made from one of his old collars. I wear it always, along with an old tag and a silver heart.

OLD DOG IN A LOCKET

Old dog in a locket
    That lies next to my heart
    I will always love you
    As I did right from the start.
    You were right beside me
    Through the darkest of my days
    It was your kind and gentle nature
    That made me want to stay.
    Now I hold you in my arms
    Your breath still warm against my hand
    Our hearts still beat together
    And I wonder if you understand.
    Through the hours that I held you
    Before the light did leave your soul
    I knew a way to keep you
    Forever in my hold.
    I snipped the hair from around your eyes
    So I would always see
    The beauty that surrounds me
    Even in times of need.
    I snipped the hair from around your ears
    So I would always hear
    Music in the distance
    To quiet any fears.
    I snipped the hair from across your back
    To bring me strength in times of need
    And the power of your essence
    Would always be with me.
    I snipped the hair from around your heart
    That beats in time with mine
    So I would know that love would find me
    At some distant time.
    And so, your life slipped out of mine
    On a quiet, spring-like day
    But I knew that part of you
    Was always hear to stay.
    Old dog in a locket
    That lays next to my heart
    I will always love you
    Even though we had to part.
    Anonymous

9/3/13
    I miss you

Join me on this flight.
    [/SIZE]

11/12/06

I was looking through Pet Poems, and found this Last Will and Testament of Eugene O'Neill's dog, Blemie! Parts of it - I thought of you and Duke...and it is not without a slight humour. I hope you like it.

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/lastwill.htm

THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF AN EXTREMELY DISTINGUISHED DOG

by Eugene O'Neill

I, SILVERDENE EMBLEM O'NEILL (familiarly known to my family, friends, and acquaintances as Blemie), because the burden of my years and infirmities is heavy upon me, and I realize the end of my life is near, do hereby bury my last will and testament in the mind of my Master. He will not know it is there until after I am dead. Then, remembering me in his loneliness, he will suddenly know of this testament, and I ask him then to inscribe it as a memorial to me.

I have little in the way of material things to leave. Dogs are wiser than men. They do not set great store upon things. They do not waste their days hoarding property. They do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain the objects they have not. There is nothing of value I have to bequeath except my love and my faith. These I leave to all those who have loved me, to my Master and Mistress, who I know will mourn me most, to Freeman who has been so good to me, to Cyn and Roy and Willie and Naomi and -- But if I should list all those who have loved me, it would force my Master to write a book. Perhaps it is vain of me to boast when I am so near death, which returns all beasts and vanities to dust, but I have always been an extremely lovable dog.

I ask my Master and Mistress to remember me always, but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to them in time of sorrow, and a reason for added joy in their happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause them pain. Let them remember that while no dog has ever had a happier life (and this I owe to their love and care for me), now that I have grown blind and deaf and lame, and even my sense of smell fails me so that a rabbit could be right under my nose and I might not know, my pride has sunk to a sick, bewildered humiliation. I feel life is taunting me with having over-lingered my welcome. It is time I said good-bye, before I become too sick a burden on myself and on those who love me. It will be sorrow to leave them, but not a sorrow to die. Dogs do not fear death as men do. We accept it as part of life, not as something alien and terrible which destroys life. What may come after death, who knows? I would like to believe with those my fellow Dalmatians who are devote Mohammedans, that there is a Paradise where one is always young and full-bladdered; where all the day one dillies and dallies with an amorous multitude of houris [lovely nymphs], beautifully spotted; where jack rabbits that run fast but not too fast (like the houris) are as the sands of the desert; where each blissful hour is mealtime; where in long evenings there are a million fireplaces with logs forever burning, and one curls oneself up and blinks into the flames and nods and dreams, remembering the old brave days on earth, and the love of one's Master and Mistress.

I am afraid this is too much for even such a dog as I am to expect. But peace, at least, is certain. Peace and long rest for weary old heart and head and limbs, and eternal sleep in the earth I have loved so well. Perhaps, after all, this is best.

One last request I earnestly make. I have heard my Mistress say, "When Blemie dies we must never have another dog. I love him so much I could never love another one." Now I would ask her, for love of me, to have another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to have a dog again. What I would like to feel is that, having once had me in the family, now she cannot live without a dog! I have never had a narrow jealous spirit. I have always held that most dogs are good (and one cat, the black one I have permitted to share the living room rug during the evenings, whose affection I have tolerated in a kindly spirit, and in rare sentimental moods, even reciprocated a trifle). Some dogs, of course, are better than others. Dalmatians, naturally, as everyone knows, are best. So I suggest a Dalmatian as my successor. He can hardly be as well bred or as well mannered or as distinguished and handsome as I was in my prime. My Master and Mistress must not ask the impossible. But he will do his best, I am sure, and even his inevitable defects will help by comparison to keep my memory green. To him I bequeath my collar and leash and my overcoat and raincoat, made to order in 1929 at Hermes in Paris. He can never wear them with the distinction I did, walking around the Place Vendome, or later along Park Avenue, all eyes fixed on me in admiration; but again I am sure he will do his utmost not to appear a mere gauche provincial dog. Here on the ranch, he may prove himself quite worthy of comparison, in some respects. He will, I presume, come closer to jack rabbits than I have been able to in recent years.

And for all his faults, I hereby wish him the happiness I know will be his in my old home.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress. Whenever you visit my grave, say to yourselves with regret but also with happiness in your hearts at the remembrance of my long happy life with you: "Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved". No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

That was really beautiful. Made me cry like a baby, though. I think it's going to take years for it not to hurt so badly. It's like a piece of me has been lost, never to be found again.

9/3/13
    I miss you

Join me on this flight.
    [/SIZE]

11/12/06