Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever gone off of an antidepressant? *Update bottom of page 2*

Anyone ever gone off of an antidepressant? *Update bottom of page 2*

If you have, I could use some advice. I have been off of mine for about 2 weeks now, and for the most part I feel fine. But it seems to me like I am getting over the top angry over the smallest things, and really overreacting. I don't know if I am just over-analyzing my feelings because I am paranoid that I'm going to start feeling depressed again, or if I went off them meds too soon, or what it is. For anyone who has ever gone off of an antidepressant, how did you feel in the weeks following?
    Last edited by JenBKR; 12-30-2006 at 09:39 AM.

I have went off of mine a few times and ended back on them. I got angry over the stupidest things Marissa did and then went back to feeling down all the time. Did you slowly go off or just quit cold turkey?

Sorry I am not much help I have learned that I can't go off of them ever because it just makes me worse.
    Michelle

That's what I'm afraid is happening to me. I went off oh so slow, in fact it has taken me about a year to completely wean off. I might have to consider going back on one if this keeps up, but I don't think I want to go back to Effexor, only because of the side effects of missing a pill. Thanks for your input!

i took that one and didn't like it. I am on Lexapro again. I hate the side effects.
    Michelle

I was put on antidepressants when I left my now ex husband. When I went off, I felt the same. The doctor told me to take "B complex". Its given to depression patients but also woman to stabilize the hormone system. I sure did feel better.
    I do think you need to talk to your doctor, but if you ask him about B complex, I would bet he would agree. ..

What is B complex? Is it a prescription drug? Oh wait, no, that's a vitamin right?

My dad is on it & it only makes him WORSE! he yells more and swears, he's acting all weird and it's like he has no feelings sometimes ... my mom told the doctor this and he just kept giving my dad more new prescriptions and now the doctor is making him get off of it very slowly.

My advice DON'T take that stuff if you get a chance, it make's people worse from what I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Argranade
    My dad is on it & it only makes him WORSE! he yells more and swears, he's acting all weird and it's like he has no feelings sometimes ... my mom told the doctor this and he just kept giving my dad more new prescriptions and now the doctor is making him get off of it very slowly.

My advice DON'T take that stuff if you get a chance, it make's people worse from what I have seen.
    Maybe your dad needs to see a different doctor, it doesn't sound like he's getting the right kind of medication. I've been on an antidepressant for 10 years and I can't tell you enough how it saved my life. It also saved my mother's life - she's a completely different person since getting on medication. The meds can be extremely helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JenBKR
    What is B complex? Is it a prescription drug? Oh wait, no, that's a vitamin right?
    No ma'am - its a vitamin you can get anywhere. Now i use the ones at GNC because I think they are better. But it sure did work!
    Remember your warning signs they told you about, but try it. and its not expensive. You want to get the whole B complex and not the singles like 6 and 12 types. You can feel it in one hour, and what you dont use, you will pass in your urine ( your urine will look darker, but its fine...)
    I can still tell if I dont take it. Now I take one at night before I go to bed, but if I forget I take one in the morning. The reason for night time, is this is a water soluable vitamin and will pass. At night keeps it in the system longer.
    Do you have a GNC near you? If not even a walmart brand would help alot.
    Keep me posted and you can pm me if you want.. Take care and God bless..

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    No ma'am - its a vitamin you can get anywhere. Now i use the ones at GNC because I think they are better. But it sure did work!
    Remember your warning signs they told you about, but try it. and its not expensive. You want to get the whole B complex and not the singles like 6 and 12 types. You can feel it in one hour, and what you dont use, you will pass in your urine ( your urine will look darker, but its fine...)
    I can still tell if I dont take it. Now I take one at night before I go to bed, but if I forget I take one in the morning. The reason for night time, is this is a water soluable vitamin and will pass. At night keeps it in the system longer.
    Do you have a GNC near you? If not even a walmart brand would help alot.
    Keep me posted and you can pm me if you want.. Take care and God bless..
    Thank you so so much! I am going to try that - I will buy some today. I will be right by a GNC later on today so I will get some there. I feel relieved already - one of the reasons I went off the medication is because we want to start trying for a baby, but I don't want to be on the antidepressants while pregnant. Of course, I don't want to feel depressed either......but it sounds like this vitamin will help. Thank you!!!

It helps TREMENDOUSLY!!!! ( also good for reproduction too.. lol.. ) You take care- I am here most of the time during the day, and you can always email me at [email protected] if you want too.. God bless!

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    It helps TREMENDOUSLY!!!! ( also good for reproduction too.. lol.. ) You take care- I am here most of the time during the day, and you can always email me at [email protected] if you want too.. God bless!
    Thank you very much!! I really appreciate that!

you got it hon- ( yes i am southern.. lol..) and it really does help! ALOT!! Let me know okay??

Hi there!!

Just wondering if you went off your meds cold turkey or slowly by reducing the dosage? The withdrawal affects are less if you do the latter.

Cathy
    Cathy, Sammie, & Maggie

"If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter
    or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!" -- ASPCA

Quote Originally Posted by cfuh
    Hi there!!

Just wondering if you went off your meds cold turkey or slowly by reducing the dosage? The withdrawal affects are less if you do the latter.

Cathy
    I very slowy weaned off...I don't think I could have gone cold turkey with Effexor because the side effects are so severe. In fact, it took me close to a year, then I switched to Prozac for a couple weeks to keep the side effects at bay. Thank you!