Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Mills. What do YOU think they are?

So why then is AKC such a great registry? This is beginning to confuse me. lol
    I'm A Proud Sister of TWO Pugs

We knew where our pug came from but we couldn't just leave him there after the look he gave my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by junescrater716
    Yes but if no one buys the puppy it will eventually be put to death.
    You don't know that. It may end up at a shelter, it may end up back to the breeders, but this is a case in which, as moral human beings, need to think of the big picture.

By buying this puppy, am I perpetuating puppy mills when I know they exist? Yes.

It is not.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsoul
    Most registries are only in it for the money. CKC is one of the few that will not register pet shop puppies -- it is illegal.

Careful. The CKC you are refering to is the Canadian Kennel Club - not the Continental Kennel Club.

Of the U.S. based kennel clubs, AKC is considered the most responsible. If you look at the "breeds" that can be registered with some of the others, you will find most "designer breeds". The AKC requires that breedings be tracked, the breed breed true from generation to generation, and that a stud book be available for a certain amount of years before the National Breed Club for that breed can request that it be registerable.

AKC isn't a great registry --- honestly it's the national breed clubs that make a registry what it is but the board of delegates are a bunch of tools and make poor choices and only care about money. That's why AKC will register your dog based on a photograph -- it's why they considered making a deal with Petland --- but it's the USA's national registry -- what can ya do? I, myself, will be registering my puppy (and puppies from future litters) with AKC -- not because I like the registry, but because it's the only way my dogs can compete in AKC events. For those who want the titles, you don't have many choices.
    I've been BOO'd!

Quote Originally Posted by LilacDragon
    Careful. The CKC you are refering to is the Canadian Kennel Club - not the Continental Kennel Club.
    Yes, most call the Continental Kennel Club the ConKC. Don't ya just love how they made their initials exactly the same lol.
    I've been BOO'd!

Yes, most call the Continental Kennel Club the ConKC. Don't ya just love how they made their initials exactly the same lol.
    Drives me nuts. On my website I state that puppies can be either AKC or CKC registered (And soon UKC) I always have to explain that I mean the CanadianKC not the ConKC.
    Nicole

lol. Ok so AKC isn't all it's cracked up to be?

lol. Ok so AKC isn't all it's cracked up to be?
    I don't think there is a registry out there that is perfect. But you do have to make due with what there is in your country. For me it is the CanKC and the UKC.
    Nicole

AKC isn't a great registry --- honestly it's the national breed clubs that make a registry what it is but the board of delegates are a bunch of tools and make poor choices and only care about money. That's why AKC will register your dog based on a photograph -- it's why they considered making a deal with Petland --- but it's the USA's national registry -- what can ya do? I, myself, will be registering my puppy (and puppies from future litters) with AKC -- not because I like the registry, but because it's the only way my dogs can compete in AKC events. For those who want the titles, you don't have many choices.
    The only registration you can get from AKC based on a picture is an ILP and the picture must be accompanied by proof of spay/neuter. An ILP number will enable you to compete in working/obedience venues.

(But, yes, I understand what you are saying and agree.)

ohhhhhh!!! I see ok

It's disgusting because the general public has no clue about registries so they generally don't have a clue which reg. is reputable and which is not.

There are many more besides the ConKC and CanKC. I can name others off the top of my head. FCI (Fédération Cynologique Internationale) and FIC (Federation of International Canines), UKC (United Kennel Club) and UKCI (Universal Kennel Club International), etc.

Additionally, there are puppy/kitten retailers (i.e. pet stores) who copy off reputable clubs like the IKC (International Kennel Club).
    Here's one version of IKC: http://www.ikcdogshow.com/

Here's another: http://www.internationalkennel.com/

And another: http://www.ikcpups.com/

It's frightening and infuriating to say the least..

As for the question: "What constitutes a good breeder VS. puppy mill?"

A good breeder is one who breeds for the betterment/improvement of the breed. It does not matter if the dog is proven in the field or in the ring. I hate it when people stipulate that a dog must earn championships in the ring. That is most definitely not the only requirement.

A breeder who does not breed for the betterment of the breed is not necessarily a "bad" breeder, but s/he should definitely not be breeding. Then there are some breeders who breed for money. I call these people "greeders". Puppy mills and many BYBs are Greeders, not breeders.

It does not matter if the dog is proven in the field or in the ring.
    The purpose of showing the dog in a conformation ring is to show that it is the BEST of the best and more closely meets the breed standard. As for being proven in the field - bettering the breed means that the dog has the temperment and workability that the breed was meant to have.

Sorry - but both of those things are just as important as health clearances. I don't want a skittish or aggressive rottweiler that looks like a doberman.

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    I hate it when people stipulate that a dog must earn championships in the ring. That is most definitely not the only requirement.
    I completely agree! Visa doesn't have her CH -- doesn't mean that Solo would have popped out ugly. Just means I haven't finished her. My friend bred shelties her entire life, and they always had females that weren't the greatest looking shelties -- but BOY, did they throw beauties!
    I've been BOO'd!