Thread: eating everything outside

eating everything outside

When walking my puppies, my Maggie (Lab mix) picks up rocks, leaves, trash, etc. to chew...is there any to stop her from doing this? I'm mostly worried about the rocks and what it'll do to her teeth. I tell her no everytime she does it but it's not working. Any advice??? Thanks.

Cathy

Cathy, Sammie, & Maggie

"If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter
    or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!" -- ASPCA

Maybe you could teach your pup the leave it command..When it tries to go get something, tell it to leave it or whatever command you like, and pull her away from the rock or w/e. I'm not really sure how to help, sorry, Jo did that as a pup too, and she learned from that..mind you she still does it from time to time with somethings.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Thanks for helping...I usually tell her to "Drop it" and/or "No!" and she'll do it for a bit but goes back to her usual self. I'm hoping this phase will end sometime...just have to be patient.

Originally posted by slleipnir
    Maybe you could teach your pup the leave it command..When it tries to go get something, tell it to leave it or whatever command you like, and pull her away from the rock or w/e. I'm not really sure how to help, sorry, Jo did that as a pup too, and she learned from that..mind you she still does it from time to time with somethings.
    Cathy, Sammie, & Maggie

"If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter
    or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!" -- ASPCA

When we used to go for walks Roxey would pick up anything she could find! One time she carried a can for about a mile!! She grew out of it, and doesn't do it now.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    Cookie is always carrying something in her mouth (like all retrievers...) . We've got a large collection of sticks in the front yard that she can bring along, but she learned to drop them when we opened the gate to our house.
    I let her carry around anything she feels like when we're outside, but she's not allowed to eat food she finds. She has to drop it and I throw it away.

From what I understand, there's no harm in shredding sticks. Most dogs do it.

I think it's good to teach your dog a command that works well for both of you. 'Drop' is a good one, that's what we use. As with everything else we teach our dogs: it takes time and patience!

I know a Golden that chewed on stones as a pup and the owners didn't really get her to stop. That Golden has a few stubs in her mouth now. Very sad.

Our little 10 week old basset hound does the same thing. He eats more of fecal matter though, which is totally nasty. We have tried everything, I think the behavior will eventually stop, hopefully before he gets sick. Good luck to you!

How old is your dog exactly ????
    From what I hear , it might be the right time to get to a dog-behaviour-class ! Success !!!!!!!!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/sydneybilliepets