Thread: Any pics of home made scratching post?

Any pics of home made scratching post?

We will soon have to put new wallpaper up in our corridor, since Fister has ripped it to shreds - he's a male, nearly 8 kg. We are planning to build a new scratching post for him. He doesn't go out as much as he used to, but when he does, he has a few trees in the yard he loves.
    I suppose the scratching post has to be quite tall, as tall as he is when fully stretched out!?

I have also heard that certain types of wood is better than others!?

Have any of you built a scratching post and perhaps have a picture of it?

Here's Fister while using his favourite tree in the yard:

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Former User Guest
    While I don't know what tree would be the best choice, I can only say that yes, it's better to have it as tall as Fister can reach. I've noticed that C & K love to strech on their scraching carpet and poles, and they prefer to do it with their whole length, just like Fister is on that cute pic! Too bad about the wallpaper...

Hi, Randi.

If Europe is anything like the US, you will have to make your own or buy from the internet. Big stretches over three feet (nearly a meter) toe to toe and most of the commercial, inexpensive stratchy posts in the stores only come up to his belly button!

The most popular material is not actually wood, but sisal, so you might consider that. Most kitties, for some reason, find it irresistable to scratch. You can easily make your own because sisal twine is pretty easy to find. Here is a good example you could use to make your own:

Also, it may not have to be a post, espcecially since he's already gotten in the habit of scratching a wall. You might could find a pad of sisal especially made to hang on a door knob and either train him to use it on the knob or mount it to a hidden wall. Here's an example:

If he insists on wood, though, I have actually heard of people going to a firewood dealer and buying an uncut log and nailing it to a flat board. The wood is untreated and would eventually detiorate and have to be replaced, of course. Here is a good commercial example:

Hope these help. Good luck with that big, bad boy!

This is a link to a commercial post that I'm finding really tempting right now. Perhaps it will give you some ideas. 50 inch scratching post Um, 50 inches is just over 4 feet; so would be about 1.4 meters, I think??? [Eons ago, in the dim misty mirks of time, I was good at math. Where did that skill go? **sigh**]
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Niina! Yeah, oh well! He started doing it when he got the bladder problem, probably pure frustration! He did it about 1 meter from his litter box.

4 feline house! Thanks! The second and third one seem like a good option and quite easy to build. At the moment, we've got some logs of wood in our yard, will check if one of them is tall enough. Putting sisal around is also a good idea!

AmberLee! The one you posted is definately tall enough!! I'd love to see if Fister can climb all the way up - I bet he can! I realize that the bottom of it has to be pretty wide not to tip over!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Good luck with your scratch post. One final recommendation, once you get it, sprinkle it or rub it with some catnip to get Fister's attention.

These are not the droids you were looking for

Catland, wecome to pet talk!

It has been generally observed that any wood structure will suffice for a scratching post. I have a home-made "A-frame" easel. My furkids are constantly scratching and climbing it. They really like to dig their claws into something that is soft, such as redwood, or cedar. White pine will do, just as long as it is soft wood. Also, that they like to stretch their bodies when digging their claws into the wood. Nearly anything will do for a scratching post. Just a log nailed to a flat piece of wood will make a fine post for them, especially if it pine with the bark still on it. The post length should exceed the length of the cat so, they can stretch out.

...........wayne

Just for the sake of your necks... here you have a lovely, brave, healthy, upright Sydney!!!

Nita
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Randi - shame about the wallpaper
    I can recommend pine wood or rather Ketchum can!!
    In the kitchen we had some pipework encased in pinewood this stretched from the floor to the ceiling. Before I could varnish it Ketchum took over and used it as a scratching post!! So I resanded and once again Ketchum took over HIS scratching post! I gave up!!
    So I varnished *round* his scratched bit!!!! Honestly!
    And seven years later - it's still the same!! He absolutley adores it and doesn't scratch anywhere else
    Why not try a piece of pine wood nailed to the wall and see if this can save the wallpaper!!!!
    Good luck!!

Lynne