Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rupert hurt my brother.

Rupert hurt my brother.

Rupert hurt my brother. It all began when I came home from school. My brother and sister were already home when I came home. I was in a hurry becuase I had to go across the street to help clean up horse poop today. Then after I had put on my boots, and my coat I told them to be quit ( My grandma was watching them and I didnt want her to have to get up and scream at them and get all worked up and get sick) I ran out the door and the second I was at the fence I heard a scream. It sent a message up my spine that made me run back into the house. My brother was on the ground screaming.I asked my sister what happened, and she was crying. She told me that they were playing with a whistal and Rupert had jumped up on his face. He had a huge cut above his eye. He was screaming at me when I put a band aid on it. It took awhile to stop bleading but it did. When I found Rupert he was lying on my bed. I took him down and put him infront of my brother.I told him that he was a bad dog and made him stay outside. I told my brother to take a nap becuase whenever he saw Rupert he would start to cry.
    My mom said he has to sleep in the garage tonight.My mom said that if he did another thing like that that we would have to put him down.Are we being to hard on him? The reason I was so hard, was becuase I want him to be a good dog.

Rupert probably has no idea what he did to cause you to tell him he was bad - his "punishment" was after the fact. Your brother and sister shouldn't play with that whistle around him ever again, as it is probably a painful sound for him. You now need to wrk with your brother and Rupert, how old is your brother? You'll need to be very diligent over the next few days to convince him that Rupert is not to be feared, that it was an accident, and the whistle is bad around him because doggies have far superior hearing to humans, and it probably hurt Rupert's ears.

Was he provoked? Was it in play, and he just got too rambunctious? Perhaps he just didn't like the sound of the whistle, but I honestly think something else must have happened. He probably doesn't even realize anymore why he is sleeping in the garage. I'd never do that to my dogs. They'd be corrected and put in a 'time out' for a short while (simply to relax, and calm down), and that would be the end of it. I don't see why he should be put to sleep, just going by your description..

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

I totally agree with Karen. that whistle probably startled him and he didn't know how to react. I hope your brother is okay and I sure hope it never happens again. and I don't think he should be pts just for an accident. It was an accident and accidents do happen and your mom shouldn't be so harsh on Rupert IMO anyways..and I would never ever punish my dogs just because of an accident. they do not know what they did wrong and therefore they shouldn't be punished for it.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I wasn't there, but honestly it sounds like an accident to me. It sounds like the kids were playing and Rupert got excited (likely because of the whistling noise) and jumped up and scratched your brother accidentally with his nails. If it was a deep cut then I bet his nails are too long and sharp. I do not see ANY reason whatsoever to even consider putting him down for something like that.

I doubt Rupert even knew he did anything wrong, dragging a dog back to the "scene of the crime" doesn't do any good...if they are not caught in the act, they are not going to "connect" the reason they are being punished. I bet he didn't even have a clue why you were mad at him, and he certainly does not have a clue why he is now banished to the garage.

I agree with the other posters. Rup doesn't know why you called him bad dog, it was after the fact. By your description it sounds like an accident. Teach the younger kids "saftey" around dogs. go over the basic rules. Since I'm knew I don't know if you're familier with them, if you need I can post. As an adult, I myself have had my share of "bleeders" just playing, and from no aggresion on the dogs part. I would watch them over the next couple days and see interaction and behavior. If there is a problem you can catch it and take care of it.

I'll agree that it is most likely that Rupert was just over-excited, or got confused. The noise was probably driving him mad, and he had no clue why your brother was making it. For all Rupert knew, it could have been that your little brother was scared or hurt, or trying to hurt him, or playing or anything... too much stimulus that he just didn't know how to respond to. Doesn't sound like an aggressive reaction, so no need to even consider putting him down. Hopefully, in a worst-case scenario, your mom would at least give you time to try to rehome him some place without small children.

Maybe you could also work with Rupert and various noises? Nothing to torment or hurt his ears a lot, just make noises of all sorts around him, and soothe him if he starts to freak, reward him when he handles them well?

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    Rupert probably has no idea what he did to cause you to tell him he was bad - his "punishment" was after the fact. Your brother and sister shouldn't play with that whistle around him ever again, as it is probably a painful sound for him. You now need to wrk with your brother and Rupert, how old is your brother? You'll need to be very diligent over the next few days to convince him that Rupert is not to be feared, that it was an accident, and the whistle is bad around him because doggies have far superior hearing to humans, and it probably hurt Rupert's ears.
    I totally agree. I know you meant well- but the dog had nooooooo clue what he was being punished for. As stated, it was after the fact, and second- dogs really have no clue their toenails might hurt. Having a dog sleep in the garage for such and acciden ( ACCIDENT..) is not like having a child go to their room as a child can reason what they did wrong. All the dog knows is that he was ostrocized out of his home by someone who is mad for "no good reason"...
    I am sorry your brother got hurt. Things like that can happen. I was walking a puppy late last spring, he pulled me on the wet grass on the hang gliding ramp, I slipped- my feet went out from under me, and I slid down the hill with my toe catching the rock and breaking my left leg. Broke it sooooooooo bad I had to have a metal plate with 14 screws put in my leg.. The puppy ( Zubin) pulled me- I could have gotten mad at him- instead I was telling my husband over and over- get the puppy - dont let him get loose with my hands tightly gripping the lead ... My point is- he didnt mean to pull me down the hill- and he was a baby and didnt know his leash manners yet...

Sorry about your brother. The best thing for him is to make sure he isn't afraid of Rupert or he'll end up being afraid of dogs for the rest of his life. Sounds like an accident. If I had a whistle blowing in my ear, I'd snap too. Also, Rupert probably had no idea why you punished him.

Has Rupert had obedience classes? I know a place in NH that has obedience classed for dogs & kids. Maybe there is something in your area and you & your brother can take him to obedience class. That may help your brother be more confident around Rupert & not cry everytime he sees him.

Good luck.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

I hope you have your mother read this. There are a lot of good opinions. Of course the kids aren't going to admit whether they were testing out that whistle in Rupert's ears or not. Labs are very exuberant dogs with strength they don't know they have. I know he didn't have a clue that he'd hurt your brother.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I could see, if he sent your brother to the hospital with stitches, maybe your mom could say that. But not in this situation. Rupert was probably startled, and jumped up and hit your brother in the face. Irescue had a good point, they could have been bugging him with the whistle, but they would never say that.

I'm really bad at answering these kinda threads,My husband gets mad i stick up for the dogs more than him,Ok a whistle.They are loud,probably hurt his ears and he was saying stop,We all know how young kids are right,My Rb Bandit,when i had him in obedience,I was standing watching the instructor with Bandit,There was 2 kids behind me the little boy was (shooting those plastic bo and arrows at this little girl)She was screaming Bloody Murder)Bandit lunged at him never touched the child,But it was like he was saying STOP IT!

Im sure Rupert will be fine,I have never seen a vicious chocolate Lab,He most likely got irrated,Im sorry about your brother how old is he?

You need to remember that dogs are animals, they cant express their opinions the way we can by shouting at each other they react in different ways, I wouldn't leave my dogs in the company of kids on their own even though I believe my dogs wouldnt hurt a fly they are still animals and they can snap at any time, not necessary out of rage but out of fright or excitement. As others have said you did do the wrong thing by telling him off after and sending him to the garage but I wont repeat what others have said. Just remember you cant punish an animal for something they have done a while back, I hope your brother isnt too shook up and I doubt that Rupert meant any harm it sounds like he was more frightened than anything.

EDIT..

I just read about your mum having him put down? what happens if something else scares him? if your mum has him put down she doesnt deserve to own a dog or any other animal.

Thunder "attacked" me too and bit my in my temple when I was younger.

But its because I startled him, he wasnt punished or anything. As soon as he herd me cry he came over and was licking me. Hes never done it again and he is the sweetest dog.

Dogs dont remember things liek that especially later in the day. So locking him in the garage did not but be cruel on your part. Also he wouldnt just attack while you all are sleeping so it was pointless..

I think it would be stupid to have your dog put down for that, its not like hes constantly attacking or anything.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Rupert had NO idea why he was being punished, and I can't believe someone would actually have a dog PTS for being startled!! That's just disturbing IMO...He didn't react aggressively.

Thank you Wolf_Q!