Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wild bird food- not sure where this goes

wild bird food- not sure where this goes

Every winter I start a wild bird feeders, but I always loose alot in wild bird food, and I am not sure if what I am using is good enough.. Anyone have any ideas? We have suchhhhhh cold winters here, and I know the winter birds might need it. I usually just use a standard wild bird but always looking for other things. I also use suet, but I have to remember to bring it in at night or the bears or raccoons get it. Any ideas here???

Do you want to know how to lose less bird seed?

Shoulden't you be wanting to lose more bird seeds to the hungry birds? lol.
    Last edited by Argranade; 11-06-2006 at 12:37 PM.

What do you mean, you "lose a lot in wild bird food?"

yes ... sorry= typo... ( get going too fast..)

Put out a source of water. If it freezes a lot get a heated bird bath. That is a huge attractor of birds, especially in the winter. Brush or bushes that keep most of their leaves are great for little birds to hide in when it's cold too, or from predators. Vary the type of seed you put out, put some wild bird food mix, some black oil sunflower, a thistle feeder or two, throw some random seeds on the ground for birds that like to ground feed more. Hang suet feeders out for woodpeckers and chickadees. But the biggest thing that really keeps birds coming and feeding in your yard is also having a consistent source of water too.

Sunflower seeds have high fat content, so I'd think they'd be great for the winter.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Oh you wan't feeding tips ok lol,

For me feeding the birds in the winter is the most important thing to me,

Many birds will viset your feeders during the migrations too, fruit eating birds may even stop by to see what you have in store, make sure you have a different supply of bird food during fall because of this.

During fall it's a good idea to add some sweet things like nectar, penut butter, grapes ect ... because that's what warmer weathered birds love and it will help them finish that long journey south for the winter.

After fall is over and winter takes over add more fating foods like peanuts, sun flower seeds, corn ect .. there the best for birds like bluejays, cardinals, pigeons ect.. all go crazy for them lol, you can even cook up some things for the birds like scrambled or boiled eggs, cooked rice, mashed up patatoes ect .. birds love it when there given more viriaty.

The more different foods you have for wild birds the more different species you will get, as each bird like's somthing different in there diet. For bird seeds just keep buying lots of bags of it because it will go fast trust me lol!.

Sprinkle some seeds on the floor for ground eaters like morning doves & pigeons.

If you don't want small animals like squirels eating or spilling the seeds there are speacail bird feeders that will stop that, you can just leave some bread and penuts on the ground for the squirels.

Yes winter is actualy the most important time to give birds water because they can't drink it when it's frozen, so getting a heated bird bath would be great for them .. even in the winter birds will still live to bath!

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

we have the water source and yes its heated. I looked into last year some food that didnt have the shells and all- supposed to be better for them..
    Oh and we have- chickadees, red headed woodpeckers, doves, starlings, geckos, uhhhhhhhhhh tuffed titmouse, blue jays, uhhhhhhhhhh the ones that look like jail birds.. ( lollllllllllll.. I need a bird book..) with the black strips.. and some wrens..

I hope you will take lots of pictures of your happy wild birds as they feast this winter!!!

Logan

If you lose a lot of food to the squirrels, put out dried corn on the cob for them and spend the extra money and get yourself a Droll Yankee bird feeder. They are expensive, but, we've had customers say that the thing paid for itself within a couple of months in the cost of food saved.

Email Mike at the store too and he can add somethings too. You guys have great ideas and I am going to use them too. The email at the store is [email protected].

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

hey k9soul- we have those birds- your first picture- what is that??? I know its a woodpecker of some type....

Quote Originally Posted by Argranade
    Oh you wan't feeding tips ok lol,

For me feeding the birds in the winter is the most important thing to me,

Many birds will viset your feeders during the migrations too, fruit eating birds may even stop by to see what you have in store, make sure you have a different supply of bird food during fall because of this.

During fall it's a good idea to add some sweet things like nectar, penut butter, grapes ect ... because that's what warmer weathered birds love and it will help them finish that long journey south for the winter.

After fall is over and winter takes over add more fating foods like peanuts, sun flower seeds, corn ect .. there the best for birds like bluejays, cardinals, pigeons ect.. all go crazy for them lol, you can even cook up some things for the birds like scrambled or boiled eggs, cooked rice, mashed up patatoes ect .. birds love it when there given more viriaty.

The more different foods you have for wild birds the more different species you will get, as each bird like's somthing different in there diet. For bird seeds just keep buying lots of bags of it because it will go fast trust me lol!.

Sprinkle some seeds on the floor for ground eaters like morning doves & pigeons.... ( edited for space..)

IfI hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
    Wow- yes it does. I have to bring all the feeders in at night because of the bears and raccoons, but usually up by 5am so they go back out. does my handling them worry the birds? Doesnt seem to bother most last year but I thought I would ask..

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    hey k9soul- we have those birds- your first picture- what is that??? I know its a woodpecker of some type....
    It's a northern flicker. One of the larger woodpecker species. I love birdwatching and photographing. I am going to have to buy a new heated bird bath though as I can't seem to find mine this year! It's already freezing every night here so I need to get one out soon.

When I was younger I used to find pinecones and collected them, put peanut butter all over them and then roll them in bird seed and hang them out. The birdies love those too.

Quote Originally Posted by K9soul
    It's a northern flicker. One of the larger woodpecker species. I love birdwatching and photographing. I am going to have to buy a new heated bird bath though as I can't seem to find mine this year! It's already freezing every night here so I need to get one out soon.

When I was younger I used to find pinecones and collected them, put peanut butter all over them and then roll them in bird seed and hang them out. The birdies love those too.
    oh wow! thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    Wow- yes it does. I have to bring all the feeders in at night because of the bears and raccoons, but usually up by 5am so they go back out. does my handling them worry the birds? Doesnt seem to bother most last year but I thought I would ask..

No lol, I handle my birds food all the time nothing to be worried about.

Wow you have bears near by!!!!

Also when observing the birds, look around for any starving or hurt birds that you can help by getting to a wild life centre, the birds realy do appreciate us humans looking out for them espeacaily during long cold winters.