Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lemon Juice???

Lemon Juice???

I searched for something on this question but didn't find anything. My 3 year old daughter just gave my 2 dogs lemon juice. They drank most of it(about 1/2 a cup). They are both throwing up now. Should I be worried? I called my vet but she won't be able to get back to me until around 4!

They'll be fine. The lemon juice is just irritating their stomachs, probably won't stay in long enough to do anything serious. Give them lots of plain water to make sure they stay hydrated. Nothing to eat until later today so their tummies have time to calm down.

It should be okay, but if you want it out of the dog, give a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide.. ( make sure you take them outside because they will throw it up..- which is the point to get it out of the stomach. )- *** if they are big dogs a tablespoon- if little a teaspoon will do it..****

Thanks! My little girl is always trying to give them "treats". The bad thing is that anything she gives them they will take! Anyway, Thanks for the info.

Since they're already throwing up the lemonade, it wouldn't be a good idea to further add to their distress by giving them peroxide. To add peroxide on top of an acidic substance could possibly make things worse.

Peroxide should only be used when absolutely necessary and only on the recommendation of a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by husky_lover
    Thanks! My little girl is always trying to give them "treats". The bad thing is that anything she gives them they will take! Anyway, Thanks for the info.

They *are* huskies, right? That's a given.

When my mom was a child, her dog was a Mastiff mix, who was devoted to her, and would eat anything she ate. So, being a mischevious little girl, she pretend to take a bite out of a wooden strawberry basket. And sure enough "Chomp" no more strawberry basket!

Don't worry Bluebird I didn't give them the Peroxide!
    Your Right Karen they *are* Huskies! I didn't even think about that. After the Lemon Juice, She gave them a half a bottle of chocolate syrup. No worries I think most of it was still in the bottle when I found them. Skyler will wait until I'm occupied with her brother and there she goes getting into the fridge. I even tried those fridge locks but that only lasted 2 days until she figured out how to use it. She thinks it's so funny when they will eat anything she gives them. I'm just glad I put all cleaners and anything else that looked like it would be bad on top of the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    It should be okay, but if you want it out of the dog, give a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide.. ( make sure you take them outside because they will throw it up..- which is the point to get it out of the stomach. )- *** if they are big dogs a tablespoon- if little a teaspoon will do it..****
    I just thought if you got it out of them, it wont upset the bowel. But as I said - they should be okay..

I didn't mean for you to take offence to what I said about using the peroxide borzoimom. I thank you for your help in every way possible. You were right about there bowls being upset!!! I should have tried the peroxide! Next time I'll listen.

That was high acid, and I would have gotten it out of there... I mean a teaspoon would not have hurt them, but it would have emptied the gut for sure.. Give a piece of bread..
    Rule of thumb- unless its gastric to come up, induce vomiting with things off the wall. And I would say this is one... I would have.. but left it alone ..
    Last edited by borzoimom; 11-04-2006 at 02:34 PM.

Well They did get the bread... Last Night around 6 they took a whole loaf of bread off the counter because my husband didn't put it away. So I'm guessing that helped them out quite a bit. I want to thank you for all that you've helped me with. I've noticed on alot of my posts you reply. And it is all good information and very helpful!

raschals.. lol..

Quote Originally Posted by husky_lover
    Well They did get the bread... Last Night around 6 they took a whole loaf of bread off the counter because my husband didn't put it away.
    Everything edible is kept in the food safe here...we used to call it a microwave! Works like a charm for keeping countersurfing huskies out of trouble! I used to have a cat who would steal any meat I left out to defrost, but she never figured out the microwave either!

Last month I think they got a total of 7 loaves of bread!!! I get so mad at them for doing it but then I sit back and tell myself that It was my fault the bread was within reach.
    I used to use the microwave but Thor has figured out how to open it.

I have a bread box with a drop down lid.. And then I set a trap. I took a kitchen towel with all of mine as babies, that had a can of like pebbles or coins- something that would make a heck of a lot of noise, wiped my hands in raw chicken ( then washed them of course) but left the towel on the counter with the can inside, and left the room.. At the crash come in like " what happened here??/ HUH HUH??".. My dogs will leave a kitchen towel alone for this reason. .. so you could do this then put the kitchen towel over the bread if you cant watch them.
    However - my concern is- if they can get bread, what else can they get that is not so harmless?