Thread: Food?

Food?

I got my JRT a month ago and she is the first dog I have ever really had. My boyfriend and I had a lab about 8 years ago, but she lived with him and he took care of her. I need to know what I can and cannot feed her. She does eat her dog food, but I have been known to feed her hot dogs, pepperoni, lunchmeat, chicken and last night my mom gave her a ton of baked ham. Is this ok? She seems to really enjoy all of it, but I get nervous mixing it up between her dog food and human food. A lot of people tell me that I shouldn't do that. Is this true? Will she get sick from this? I know these sound like stupid questions and I sound ignorant, but I don't want to do anything that can make her sick. Please help! Thanks.

Too much fatty people food can make her sick, and cause pancreatitis further down the road. Stuff like raw carrots are a better snack, little tidbits of stuff like ham and hotdogs are okay as treats, but not a lot, and not every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    Too much fatty people food can make her sick, and cause pancreatitis further down the road. Stuff like raw carrots are a better snack, little tidbits of stuff like ham and hotdogs are okay as treats, but not a lot, and not every day.
    Exactly. The Vets see a lot of pancreatitis at Thanksgiving due to dogs receiving more than their fair share of ham. Also the high salt along with the fat is thought to promote the occurance of pancreatitis.

As Karen points out a few trimmings won't hurt. Mine end up getting a few snibbles of Turkey at Thanksgiving, along with their main stay dry puppy food.