Thread: Excessive Barking

Excessive Barking

my dog is an outside dog until i find a place of my own. i bring him inside all the time to spend time with him, take him for walks, but once he goes back outside he doesnt stop barking. my dad got a $250 fine for his excessive barking. I tried a shock collar on him, it worked for like a week then he became immune to it or something. ive also tried spraying him with water, but it didnt help. i dont know what i can do to stop him. i know hes out there feeling lonely and everything and i wish he was inside. i feel really bad but since hes so big my dad doesnt want him inside. after the fine, my dad is really mad at him and threatens to go out there and take care of him his self. which i have to fight him not to, because i know he'll go out there and hurt my dog. its getting to the point where im thinking about getting rid of him if this problem doesnt get resolved. i dont really want to, ive grown very attached to him. should i just get rid of him or is there something that can be done about this?

you should not own a dog.

He's not going to stop barking -- he's bored and lonely. Your choices are to rehome him or rehome yourself. Either way, you need to do it immediately because the situation will get worse with your father's resentment of the dog, and his misery of being outside.

And if you chose to rehome him, do not take him to the SPCA or Humane Society since a big dog's chance of being adopted is slim to none. You need to find a home willing to care for him.

I wouldn't want to be in your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    He's not going to stop barking -- he's bored and lonely. Your choices are to rehome him or rehome yourself. Either way, you need to do it immediately because the situation will get worse with your father's resentment of the dog, and his misery of being outside.

And if you chose to rehome him, do not take him to the SPCA or Humane Society since a big dog's chance of being adopted is slim to none. You need to find a home willing to care for him.

I wouldn't want to be in your situation.
    Catnapper is absolutely right. I would try my hardest to find him a home on my own and soon. I don't like the impression I am getting of your dad and what he might do. What a horrible situation.

ok thanks guys. i figured giving him to a new home would be best.

I agree with everyone else. You should find him a new home. Dogs need lots of attention and stimulation so that they don't get lonely and bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Pernicious
    If you see yourself getting another place and quick, I would find him a new home. I hate for any dog to loose his home, but really- he already did by being ostrosized outside..

This is why I might be getting a new dog very soon. Don't know what kind of dog he is (or even if he is a he or a she!) and don't neccasarily care since its my nephew's dog and my BIL won't let him move back home with the dog in tow. So I told my SIL that if he can't find a home for his dog in Florida, to bring him back home to Pennsylvania and we'll take him (or her).

As a young adult living at home with your parents you have to abide by their rules. I know that even in my 30's that if I moved back in with my parents for whatever reasin that I'd have to quickly rehome 5 cats... not that they'd hate my cats, but my mom is seriouslly allergic. Still, the fact remains I'd have to find new homes for my cats in order to live with my parents.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by signorelli21
    you should not own a dog.
    Well, I think that could have been put a bit nicer, but you are right.

Everyone here is right. Rehome your dog, or rehome yourself. I feel really bad for you and I wish you the best of luck. Does your father know that you take him indoors a lot to play, etc.? If so, then why not just let your dog live in there. It would stop the barking and you could make him sleep with you so he doesn't bother your father.

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

yes my dad knows i bring him in all the time. for the past few nights hes been sleeping inside. hes been inside more than outside recently. my dad doesnt mind him coming in every once in awhile, but he doesnt want it to be an everyday thing. but i still bring him in as much as i could even if it means that i'll get yelled at. as for getting my own place. i may have to get rid of my dog anyways. its hard to find a place to rent where the owners will allow you to have a dog, or any animal for that matter. my grandma owns a place and she said that she'd let me rent it once she moves out. but it may not be anytime soon. so im pretty much stuck.

wellll.. unless the dog has a fixed schedule on when he comes in and and when he goes out, this is not going to work.. Its just going to frustrate him more, and make the barking worse when he is outside. By fixed schedule I mean something like this: Outside at 8am, back in at 3 pm for the rest of the evening.. ( this is just an example) but my point is- the schedule has to be fixed in stone..
    I have never had a "outside dog".. All of mine always have, and always will be indoor treasured pets with outside for exercise and "business" only. And I have dogs the size of small ponies- and 4 of them..
    Unless you can make that above committment, I am sorry, but I just dont see how this will work.. And I havent even touched some of the emotional side effects that may occur from an indoor dog, suddenly "thrown" outside.. ( I will leave that alone..as I have never had outdoor dogs, )

yes my dad knows i bring him in all the time. for the past few nights hes been sleeping inside. hes been inside more than outside recently. my dad doesnt mind him coming in every once in awhile, but he doesnt want it to be an everyday thing. but i still bring him in as much as i could even if it means that i'll get yelled at. as for getting my own place. i may have to get rid of my dog anyways. its hard to find a place to rent where the owners will allow you to have a dog, or any animal for that matter. my grandma owns a place and she said that she'd let me rent it once she moves out. but it may not be anytime soon. so im pretty much stuck.
    Hmmm. This sounds like a case of stubborness from your father. Sometimes my dad doesn't back down from house rules because he feels that it would make him seem he doesn't have enough authority and that he can be walked over so easily. A case of pride in my mind. But, it's your father's house nonetheless, and his rules must be respected. It is just too bad that it has to be this way. I am truly sorry. Just out of curiosty, what breed is your dog?

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    wellll.. unless the dog has a fixed schedule on when he comes in and and when he goes out, this is not going to work.. Its just going to frustrate him more, and make the barking worse when he is outside. By fixed schedule I mean something like this: Outside at 8am, back in at 3 pm for the rest of the evening.. ( this is just an example) but my point is- the schedule has to be fixed in stone..
    I have never had a "outside dog".. All of mine always have, and always will be indoor treasured pets with outside for exercise and "business" only. And I have dogs the size of small ponies- and 4 of them..
    Unless you can make that above committment, I am sorry, but I just dont see how this will work.. And I havent even touched some of the emotional side effects that may occur from an indoor dog, suddenly "thrown" outside.. ( I will leave that alone..as I have never had outdoor dogs, )
    Borzoimom makes a great point. If you [Pernicious] can present this idea to your father, and if he agrees to it, this just may work and may take care of the problem. Now I'm no genious in dog stuff, not nearly as smart as other members here in it, and I'm not here to give professional advice because I feel it is not my place - I am just here to give my opinion. But I think this is just a case of common sense.

I really hope you can work something out, Pernicious.

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

Barking solution

Quite by accident I found a way to stop Archie from barking last night. I recorded him having a good old "woof" on my mobile phone and the next time he barked I played it to him.

He stopped straight away to look for the other dog - it even got him to come in from the garden!!
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

How is it going???