Thread: George & Tuxie

George & Tuxie

Hi everyone,

I posted about three weeks ago on two kitties I had taken in. They were visiting my patio where I keep food and water for strays and ferals.

George and Tuxie immediately presented themselves as loving, sweet kitties; and my two bonded with them quite well after George discovered he couldn't be Alpha cat, no matter what. LOL

These little darlings have been at PetSmart the last two weeks hoping to be adopted. If they aren't adopted by Sunday afternoon they come back to me for two more weeks before they go to PetSmart again.

Guess the reason I'm posting is this is the first time I've done the fostering thing. I worried myself so much last week, hoping they were adjusting ok, I gave myself a fever blister on my chin. I definitely don't mind getting them back and truthfully I am looking forward to it, but at the same time I get SO attached to them. How does everyone who fosters kitties get past the "attachment" phase? I know I'm doing the right thing; but sometimes doing the right thing hurts like heck!

Any advice/suggestions are welcome!

Forgot to add - George is a gray and brown tabby and Tuxie is - you guessed it - a tuxedo. I am going to take some pictures of them this weekend and I'll post here.
    Naranj's and P.K.'s Momma

I had one failure and one success at fostering....

I have one cat that has tested positive for FIP and so I should not foster until all my cats have passed on.

I found a kitten in the road a couple of months ago and kept him for a couple of days until I forced him on a co-worker. I kept the kitten in a different room and didn't let contact happen. I didn't want him to be exposed to the FIP thing.

So, I would never volunteer to foster, but in a pinch, I can do it.

I don't think I could ever turn down a little one, but I do feel responsible enough to keep it from my four cats.........

I could never foster if I had not been discovered to have an FIP cat. I would keep them all - for a good example....Lucy the little barn cat is now part of my four.

I'm no good at fostering either because of the attachment thing too. Me and Chester get far to attached and we both grieve when they leave. The last time I promised Chester that I wouldn't put him through that anymore. While I grieved, I knew they had went on to a good forever home but how do you get a cat to understand that?
    Last edited by Laura's Babies; 12-14-2006 at 07:01 PM.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I've been fostering for over 5 years and have just placed my 90th cat. It's hard to give them up, but there's kind of a "rotary" at my house; one goes out, another one (or more!) comes in! So it IS possible to give them up; there are 3 I didn't; and there are at least a dozen I really didn't want to!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Back Home :)

Well, George and Tuxie are back home and it's as if they weren't gone. Naranj has his nose bent out of joint over the "additions" and P. K. is thrilled to have Tuxie back to "father". Poor little Tuxie was sick with a URI, so off to the vet we went yesterday to the tune of $102. This morning he is almost back to his normal self, playing and chasing the other cats.

I went to sleep last night with an orange tabby on the pillow beside my head, Tuxie curled next to my thigh, George on my chest running his motor and I think P. K. was off checking the house for monsters. He can do some serious monster-slapping with those polydactyl pawsies! LOL

Since Tuxie got so sick I am considering keeping them with me during the "finding a home" process, in lieu of them being at PetSmart. They're pics are out on PetFinder and I have taken some cute ones myself. I will try and post them tonight.
    Naranj's and P.K.'s Momma