View Poll Results: Does your dog enjoy training?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...

19 61.29%
  • No...

7 22.58%
  • Sometimes...

15 48.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your dog enjoy training?

Does your dog enjoy training?

I was just curious as to whether your dogs enjoys learning new things, or practicing already known things? I don't think there is anything in this world that makes Tango happier than practicing her commands and tricks, except maybe learning new tricks. She thrives on learning and just loves it! Piper is just learning all of her commands now, and I can't say as she really enjoys learning. She just likes the treats that come with it at the time being. The others don't enjoy learning at all I don't think.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Electra-like the food and games involved, not the training itself.
    Misty- LOVES training, period.
    Happy- sometimes, usually not though
    Perky-DEMANDS it! she honestly throws a fit if you forget her nightly training session lol
    Ripley-he just likes the food
    Blair-Blair likes the food but he is a dimwit forgets what he is doing halfway through lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Sometimes is my answer for both of them.

No.

I've been working with Spanky constantly and she *knows* what to do she just fiddles around, doesn't do it at all/ignores me, etc. I try to be firm, happy, and level with her. I use different treats, play time, am clear, and try to mix it up but she has her own ideas. Also, she likes to play at inappropriate times. I try to do a command with my hand and she would rather bite than listen.

Techniques, anyone?

Yes for Skylar. He loves everything involved... though his favorite trick he has learned so far is "high five".
    Ethan... No! He doesn't even enjoy the treats... and he is the hardest dog to train. He only knows Sit, Laydown, & Stay... he has a hard time learning.
    Frisk only enjoys it sometimes... he probably just wants the food... he's a fast learner, though!

Clover quite enjoys fast paced small sessions of Obedience these days, she never use to. Elvis enjoys learning new tricks, he is not keen on Obedience but will do it to please me. Tinny loves to learn new commands, and soaks it all up.. she loves that food is involved and has learnt about the clicker.

All 3 go nuts when we go to Flyball training, and we often make training sessions different each time. Some times we will (Well the dogs) will practice their box work, other times we will just do endurance work with them. I am planning on doing box work with Tinny tonight at training, and also some drive work to get her to return faster.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Sheena and Luca love it. Sheena is very steady at training and is very interested. Luca has a passion for training time that I have never seen before. I would love to compete in Obeince with him because of the joy and excitement he puts into everything he does. He always has this look of "I did great right mom? Whats next mom? Lets go mom."
    Nicole

Quote Originally Posted by Wenisrubber
    I've been working with Spanky constantly and she *knows* what to do she just fiddles around, doesn't do it at all/ignores me, etc. I try to be firm, happy, and level with her. I use different treats, play time, am clear, and try to mix it up but she has her own ideas. Also, she likes to play at inappropriate times. I try to do a command with my hand and she would rather bite than listen.
    I would run out and buy Don't Shoot the Dog! by Karen Pryor & The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson. It will give you a whole new insight on why your dog "ignores" you, dogs, and training. Two books that should be on every owner's bookshelf.

Yes, my dogs love training and are trained throughout the day whether it's an actual session complete with bait bag or not.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Robert McCloskey

Oh yeah, Autumn loves it. Nothing better than some one on one time.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

If he has it down already, he absolutley loves it. If it's new, it's interesting for about 4 minutes.

Niņo & Eliza

Jasper gets frustrated generally in less than ten minutes of formal training. I've tried a variety of ways to make it fun for him, now I just accept that I have to work with him in very short bursts throughout the day.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

If they don't, that means I'm not doing it right.

I have traditionally "stubborn" breeds so it is a bit more difficult to grab their attention, but that's all part of the training process. If it's not fun for the dogs or myself, I'll stop training.

Yes, No and Sometimes

Jack loooooooooves training of any kind, he loves performing his tricks, doing agilty stuff, obedience or learning something new.

Micki loves performing but not necessarily learning, he's really impatient and get frustrated easily. He also LOVES agility, but he can't do much before he gets sore, so its hard.

Mini can't stand doing anything of the sort, especially if my parents are around she acts like everything I ask her to do is sooo difficult.

Kyra likes the food thats involved I think and not necessarily the training itself. She's really smart and picks up things quickly but she likes her two favorite tricks (roll over and hide your eyes) and will do that constantly. She HATES things like obedience even though I've tried everything to make it fun for her, she loves attempting agility though!

Shadow used to love learning new things, but would much rather be lazy these days, lol. She still loves performing her tricks and stuff.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Kai LOVES agility training. Obedience training he'll put up with. He'll do it because I want him to, but I wouldn't say he enjoys it. He does love the treats though.

Kaedyn enjoys obedience and agility training. He really likes knowing that he did a good job.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Sometimes Georgia enjoys obedience... if she feels like it But she LOVES agility.
    Alaska... I don't train him... he's too lazy, doesn't need training, and probably forgot on the commands by now anyway
    Buddy... LOVES IT!!! because of the hundreds of delicious treats