Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad news. Pack of Two author has died

Sad news. Pack of Two author has died

Bea (Iditarod Fan) posted this over at Jackie's community. Knowing how many of us enjoyed that wonderful book, I thought you might like to know. Here's what Bea said:

I thought you would be interested:
    I just heard on NPR that the woman who wrote "Pack of Two" just died of lung cancer. She was only diagnosed some months ago. She and her long-time companion were married a short while ago at a wedding described as joyful despite the fact that everyone there knew her condition was terminal. Her agent was interiewed and said that her dog and husband were permitted to stay with her in her hospital room during this last hospitalization.
    This is very sad news. Caroline Knapp wrote a wonderful book, "Pack of Two" and she certainly swathed her own path in life. I am going to send our local Humane Society a small contribution in her name. Anyone who feels likewise is welcome to join me and Molly G.

Like Bea, I related so well to this book. My copy is floating around out there somewhere. I hope many of you have had a chance to enjoy it. If you haven't read it, you really should.

That is sad. At least she was surrounded by the ones who loved her in her final days.

I've never read the book but I do remember people speaking of it here on Pet Talk. I will have to stop by my local library this weekend and reserve it....

RIP Ms. Knapp....

Oh no, this news has not gotten my day off to a good start at all. "Pack of Two" is one of the best books I've ever read, period. Caroline Knapp's life was difficult and touching, but her incredible writing will always live. If you haven't read her work, read it.

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

Author Caroline Knapp's Obit...

Here's a link to the obit written by the Boston Herald:

Caroline Knapp

I never read her book but she sounds like an amazing lady! I'll definately put it in my list.

God Bless Ms. Knapp.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Thanks, Cinder and Smokey, and their dad, for posting that link. I think your dad understands this lady's devotion to her Lucille, perfectly, Cinder and Smokey.

Now I am wondering where those two copies of those books have ended up....they were out there in Pettalkville somewhere.....

How sad. I too related wonderfully to her book as any single person and their pet would.
    Yes, Logan your copy and mine are out there somewhere. Wonder where they are. I believe Aly sent mine to the next one on the list.
    May she have at the Rainbow Bridge, some pets to guide the way. I know some of the Pettalker pets will send her in the right direction while waiting on us.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

They have the book along with another on ebay. I will post the direct address for it. I am going to go down to my local book store and see if i can order it If not i will pick it up off amazon.com...

book

I bought the book last night! I had to work my second job bartending from 5 til midnight but I wanted to read it so badly that I called Barnes and Noble to reserve it...I went and picked it up on my break! I've been reading it every spare minute I get...

When I got home last night, I showed it to Duncan and told him about it and he put his head down on it...

Oh, Jenn, you will really be able to associate with this book!!! You could be Caroline Knapp (minus her horrible past) and Duncan could be Lucille! When I think of all their happy experiences, I think of you!!!

There is another excellent article/obit at,

http://bostonphoenix.com/homepage.htm titled
    Remembering Caroline Knapp. She was an incrediblely
    talented writer. I plan on reading her other books too.
    Poor Lucille...

Thank you , Liz. What a beautiful tribute to a woman who obviously affected the lives of many people.

so sad, so sad

This was a person who I felt really knew me and understood me, but more than that she validated who I was. All that from reading her Pack of Two . After I read Logan's copy, I asked for and received a copy of my own for Christmas.

I just checked it out and Lucille came from the Animal Rescue League in downtown Boston. I think I will send my donation to that organization.

Forty-two years is too short a life for someone who had so much to offer. And poor Lucille. I envision Caroline Knapp at the RB waiting for her Lucille. She'll have all our RB kids to keep her company. Something tells me they will all get along famously.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

I've never read the book, or even heard of it at that, but the way your all talking about it, it sounds great. She sounds like a nice person

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)