View Poll Results: ...?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • I HATE DESIGNER BREEDS

11 22.00%
  • I am against designer breeds

32 64.00%
  • I do not see anything wrong with designer breeds..?

5 10.00%
  • I think there is nothing wrong with designer breeds

2 4.00%
  • I love designer breeds!

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your opinion on designer breeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    I would have been surprised if the poll had gone any other way. To all of us it is appalling, but to the general public it is something else. Just today I saw an ad in my local paper for a new store called Puppies R Us. It listed a whole group of mixed breed dogs. The sad thing is they will probably do a great business and in a few months those dogs will be in shelters after their impulsive humans decide the dog was a passing whim and bought only for the cuteness factor.

Boycott! Boycott! Boycott! Visit the store, and if they are getting them from Hunte & Co or other puppy mill "brokers," alert the media and boycott. We did so in Massachusetts when Woof & Co. tried to open a chain here, and they shut down and went away!

http://karenwatts.com/woof/

i am VERY much against designer breeds. designer dogs are only a fad. a very unfortinate fad. a fad that makes millions of homeless dogs die in shelters because people want a tiny cuddly dog to carry around, dress up that has a cute breed name. a schnoodle(schnauzer/poodle) was recently put to sleep in my local shelter because no one adopted him. i'm sure if he was advertised in a petstore someone would have gladly paid thousands for him.

people argue that some designer breeds are hypoallergic and don't shed. there are PUREBRED dogs that are in shelters and at responsible breeders that don't shed either. for example the yorkshire terrier, silkie terrier, bichon frize, etc. why on earth would you want to spend $2000 on a mixed breed dog that does the same thing as a purbred dog for $200.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    Mixed breeds are mixed breeds. If shelters can get more dogs into good homes by calling them "designer names" I am okay with it
    I find it disappointing that PF has 134 "Cockapoos" listed on their site and that shelters and rescues have that option to choose that as a "breed."
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Robert McCloskey

I do not think there is anything wrong with them,I cannot put any animal at the side to be ignored or mistreates or even hated for stupid reasons,i truly believe in every situation that a animal is involved is never there fault instead of hating the dog.....the hate and anger should be turned to the people that are breeding and producing the dogs,These animals never asked for this to be done,So i am sticking with i dont hate them,they still deserve the love and attention that all our dogs have whether there purebred,a mutt or in this case a designer breed,Remeber humans are the only ones that can make these things happen not the dog.

There are some valid reasons for creating a mixed breed, for instance goldendoodles were bred so people who were allergic to dogs can have an assistance dog. (That being said, there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog, period. It depends on the person)

To create mixed breed pups to make money? Nope, totally against it.

I am against the intentional breeding of mixed-breed dogs. That being said, I think that pug/beagle crosses are some of the most adorable MUTTS out there!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I don't see ANY reason to breed dogs just for pets. Pick one of the 100s of breeds already exhisting, or go to the shelter. Just because this new "breed" is in the news doesn't mean it's any better than some other breed you didn't know about. I also hate the way they sell them on false truths. The recent crossing of pure breds was started by the Australian guide dog association to create a low shedding dog that was more loyal than intelegent, and they reported a 30% success rate, so low they quit.

Niņo & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Jordan
    I do not think there is anything wrong with them,I cannot put any animal at the side to be ignored or mistreates or even hated for stupid reasons,i truly believe in every situation that a animal is involved is never there fault instead of hating the dog.....the hate and anger should be turned to the people that are breeding and producing the dogs,These animals never asked for this to be done,So i am sticking with i dont hate them,they still deserve the love and attention that all our dogs have whether there purebred,a mutt or in this case a designer breed,Remeber humans are the only ones that can make these things happen not the dog.
    No one's blaming the DOGS themselves. Why would we be mad at dogs, they're no less a dog than a pure bred!

Niņo & Eliza

I am not against the dog itself, but I am against breeders who breed irresponsibly. Go to your local shelter and get your designer breed for 500 dollars less!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I dont like them at all. I agree with what everyone on here has said about
    the down points to them and why they shouldn't be bred.
    They are no less a dog and deserve no less love and its not their fault idiots bred them I just think there should be a stop for future ones and feel bad for the poorly bred dogs.

Although I would like to say Id rather have Designer breeds made then
    BYB ruining pure bred dogs by bad breeding. Like Shitzus , there are alot that come into my work and I can tell right away when they come from a BYB most of them are deformed in one way or another but the most common is bulging eyes and short bowlegs. It truley is very sad.

Why do people keep making these threads on them though?
    There has been so many threads about them and they just get heated and
    end up in someone hating someone else
    If you want to know what people think look back on a old thread.. theres TONS
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

What bothers me the most is that designer dogs are NOT being sold by responsible breeders. Parents are NOT health tested, they are sold as quickly as they can come out...it's upsetting. They are sold by pet stores (puppy shops) and are a huge target for puppy mills. Although there are people out there that don't understand this, and don't try to understand. They also think they can breed cute pups and make money off it, not knowing what damage they are doing to these dogs. Then the people buying are thinking well, I spent so much money on this dog I should breed them. Thus creating a vicious cycle.

Sure, I could breed Romeo to a Lab, and pull out the cutest ones and advertise them as "speckled labs". I've often thought-haha, I wonder what that would like if I bred Romeo with ___. But, I know better, I know the damage it does. Some people really have NO clue, and act upon the impulse, or the joke. Education is KEY with things like this.

And another point to make...our current recognized breeds did not come from just a mixing of two breeds. It took many years, many dogs with certain characteristics, special breeding and culling and trying to pinpoint exactly what is needed to get a dog that would do the things we wanted.

None of the above i have a problem with the idiots who breed these poor little souls.

What I have problems with:

1. The whole name 'designer' breeds. It really makes the poor dogs sound no more valuable than a handbag and certainly won't attract the most loving of prospective dog owners...

2. The fact that the breeders are trying to register them as breeds.

3. The fact that they have proirity over shelter dogs for most people simply because they don't have a fancy name

But I do think that if, miraculously, the amount of dogs in shelters was at an absolute minimum, designer breeds would be acceptable. When a dog has been created, designer breed or not, it is entitled to a loving home.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Don't hate the breed, hate the deed. I wouldn't mind owning a boston terrier/beagle if it came from a shelter. And of course whenever people asked I'd push the idea that my adorable mix came from a shelter and that's where they should go for any variety of dogs who need homes.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutango
    I am against any sort of irresponsible breeding which would include both purebreds and mixes. I don't see a purpose for designer breeds though, especially when there are already tons of different breeds in the world. I'm sure somebody could find everything they want in an already created breed instead of making new ones. Before anyone says anything, I already know all breeds originally started out as mixes and could have been called 'designer breeds' back then. However, I believe that was totally different as back then, people were creating breeds to serve a certain purpose (be it hunting, herding, whatever). Nowadays people are creating them just because they are cute and a "good way to make a ton of money". I don't think designer breeds can be compared to todays purebreds.
    Agreed! I just dislike that they are trying to register these so called 'breeds'....

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)