Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Question

Fish Question

Ok, bear with me I dont think many people will like this but I went to pets at home today and my boyfriend offered to buy me a fish because i said Im fed up of not owning anything thats really mine

We got the fish tank all set up with the filters pump and air bubbles all going!

The man in the shop said the tank that we got will easily fit in 2 large gold fish or 5 small ones.. but I've always wanted an oranda or a ryukin, I prefer the chunky looking fish if that makes sense?!

I guess my question is are they easy to look after? I got a cold water tank but I dont want to start off with a fish too difficult because I do know its more than just adding water and plopping a fish in! I will definatly do what I can to provide for it, I've got the money and the time so I dont think its too much of a problem but I dont know what anyone else will say as if im honest I've looked into it in the past but it was an impulse buy.. We only have the tank set up but we are hoping to get the fish on friday

because if I'm 100 % honest I dont know much about fish tanks or fish but I got lots of people in my family which would be willing to help out if I needed them to.

so really yeah, does anyone suggest any types of fish? as I said I would LOVE to get a Oranda or a ryukin but any other suggestions will be very grateful

Thanks everyone!

Question! Do you know the size of the tank? Sometimes LFS employees say you can fit goldfish in it, when you really can't. I'm not doubting it, but I'd help to know what size the tank is. =)
    I have a Ryukin.. so I could probably help a bit on any specific questions.

And... don't count on being able to safely put fish in on this Friday. Tanks need some time to cycle.. this is a very important step.

The water

All I can add to this from experience, make sure you let the water sit for a few days before putting any fish in. You must allow the chlorine to off gas. You can also purchase additives for new water.

Thanks, I just got told that 24 hrs would be ok so I guess I believed him.

I cant find the box anywhere! i cant find the tank online but its not a goldfish bowl! I thought it was a good size and ovbiously if the fish needs a bigger tank once its growing then it wouldnt be a problem at all I wouldnt set it suffer in a small tank, Its plastic and made by Penn Plax it isnt flimsy plastic it really can hold and it looked quite big which is why I picked this one, maybe it was a mistake? I can take some photos and show you from there but I think I need to find the box tomorrow

+++ Edit+++

Sorry they are not as clear as they could be its late here and my proper cameras batteries have died on me!

Is your tank a minimum of 50 gallons? Goldfish get big fast and require a large tank. They do not grow to their environment, like a lot of people think. Goldfish are messy, and they are pretty fragile. If your tank is 50 gallons and you want goldfish I suggest 2 or maybe 3. They will be happy with that size.

Let us know what size your tank is and I can make some good suggestions. I have had African Cichlids for years and I love them. For me they are easier than goldfish.

BTW, having a fresh water tropical tank isn’t harder than having a non-heated tank. All my tanks have heaters, even my betta tank.

Do you know about ammonia poisoning and cycling the tank? I can help you with all that if you need help.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

I just saw your tank. It is very cute but it way too small for even one gold fish.

Really?! The photos do make it look alot smaller but I dont see how they can keep fish is smaller tanks in the shops and have about 6 in one tank half the size of mine?

I just found out its 15 litres which is 4 gallons?

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy4paws
    I just found out its 15 litres which is 4 gallons?

The minimum for a gold fish is 10-20 gallons and they out grow that pretty fast.

A betta would do well in a tank that size. Mine lives in a 5 gallon mini bowl.

Really?! The photos do make it look alot smaller but I dont see how they can keep fish is smaller tanks in the shops and have about 6 in one tank half the size of mine?
    That is horrible and that shop should be shut down. This is not an attack on you. I know what it's like to get bad advice from pet shop operators.

Goldfish give off a lot of ammonia. It would be dead in no time. A tank that size would be very hard to control with a gold fish in it, plus it's way too small. I believe the rule is 20 gallons for the first goldfish and then 10 gallons for each additional goldfish. So if you wanted 3 goldfish, for example, the tank would need to be at least 40 gallons.

It's a very cute tank, but it's not even close to suitable for even one goldfish.
    It's good that you are learning this now before you bought the fish.

There are a lot of smaller fish that could go in there. If you want help I can research some.

Ok, So a goldfish is out, Are betta easy to care for? they look so pretty! Are they ok in pairs or would you suggest only one for my size tank?

Thanks for the info everyone.. I dont want to cause any suffering to any animal so thanks for being honest about the goldfish!

I got to go research on Bettas now

Another question quickly! In the way future if I decided to get a bigger tank with goldfish could they mix with bettas? I would seek advice from you guys the next time!

Ok, So a goldfish is out, Are betta easy to care for? they look so pretty! Are they ok in pairs or would you suggest only one for my size tank?

Another question quickly! In the way future if I decided to get a bigger tank with goldfish could they mix with bettas? I would seek advice from you guys the next time!
    Bettas are easy to take care of in my opinion.

To the question about getting more than one, no no no no! Two male (the pretty ones) bettas WILL kill each other. Their nickname is/was Japanese fighting fish. Only one betta per tank. There are some cool things that can live with a betta. Small frogs and I believe tetras can live with bettas too. Again, I can help research that if you'd like.

To the second question, I have seen one betta living with goldfish. Betta only 'hate' their own kind. Some people say no to goldfish living with a betta, but I have seen it with my own eyes. Some bettas are more aggressive than others. So to this question I say maybe. You'd have to try and see, but even in a large tank, only ONE betta.

Hope that helps.

I just seen that! Thats scary! I'm reading about how to tell what sex they are I think I would stick to one betta. I will definatly get a bigger tank if I add any more fish or if the betta grows.

I'm researching before I rush into anything! Thanks for the advice!

I just seen that! Thats scary! I'm reading about how to tell what sex they are I think I would stick to one betta. I will definatly get a bigger tank if I add any more fish or if the betta grows.

I'm researching before I rush into anything! Thanks for the advice!
    Don't worry about the betta needing a bigger tank, he won't. 4 gallons is a betta palace compaired to living in those little cups they keep them in. Bettas need a minimum of a 1 gallon. He will love you forever for putting him in a 4 gallon

Yeh, you're definately getting pointed in the right direction of a betta for that tank. =)
    And about the whole betta-living-with-a-goldfish thing. Normally, in bigger tanks, bettas prefer a heater while goldfish are strictly coldwater fish. While a betta can be fine without a heater, I find that the female bettas I have in a heated tank are a bit happier with warmer water.
    Just from personal experiance.
    I've often thought about seeing how well one of my male bettas would fair in my goldfish tank... but I have yet try such a thing.
    Good luck with your fish purchase! And I'm so very happy to see someone doing research before buying the actual fish. Good job! =D