Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dogs not on leashes at Dogs OK On Leash parks...

Originally posted by anna_66
    I'm pretty sure Roxey would run off without her lead on, guess it's just in her genes! I really wish we could go to parks and take them off lead, oh well.....
    OH OH! Here comes the trainer response in me. I think any dog would run off unless they were trained not to. I don't think genes have anything to do with it! Someone said it earlier in this post and I agree 100%.... If your dog does not know the "COME" command that is taught in a recall, they should never be off leash. For their own safety and for the safety of other peoples pets.

Teaching the come command is something I believe all pups should be taught in addition to basic housetraining etiquette. It can someday save their life! I have taken it one step further with my dogs. Whenever someone approaches them they are dropped immediately into a down until I can evaluate the situation and then they are released. If necessary they are given a Come command.

At the park we go to, I let the dogs off leash. My fear when they meet someone is that they may lick them to death! Fortunately though when we go to the park we usually don't run into any other dogs until we get close to the parking area. It is a 2500 acre park in the woods with tons of trails intertwined all over the place. It was donated by a dog lover who realized the need for a place for dogs to be able to run. We are very fortunate to have something like this in our area. My fear is that we will end up on one of these trails and get lost!

MY PET PEEVE about going to the park is that usually near the parking area most dogs end up relieving themselves. It is almost a automatic given event. All the park caretaker asks is that the poop is cleaned up. There are signs posted everywhere that in order to keep this park open, the dog owners MUST clean up after their dogs. Yet I still find pile after pile all over the place. WHY??? How hard is it to take a plastic bag with you to clean up. They even provide garbage cans where you can deposit the dog waste.

Dixieland, she has learned the "Come" command and knows it very well. She just thinks if we are out, and she is off leash, it's time to play! I don't know if you ever read my post about her running out the front door..but she ran almost to the road, and I said "Roxey Come", she stopped dead in her tracks and turned and came to me, but kinda jumped around a little like "let's play mom!". So, I really don't trust her completely. Maybe it's her age (1yr), and she will, over time be more trustworthy, but for now, I still don't quite trust her. You say you are (or was) a trainer? Do you have any suggestions on how to make her more trustworthy, besides continuous training? In the back yard, she always comes when called, but when something else looks more exciting, I just don't feel she would listen.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

If I tell Kia to "come" it had better be dinner time or I'm in for it!

"Come" was the one command that Kia doesn't quite get and even after obedience class and all the practice, she still won't do it. "Stay" was a little shakey at first, but she's progressing very well.

She "heels" beautifully and "sits" without me having a treat.. but "Come"... oh boy... what a headache.

I wish she would come when I ask her too. Any suggestions?
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I'm sure Candy and some of the others will have a lot of suggestions....I say "This way" with Duncan and "come" This way is kind of a casual, get over here, we're going this direction now thing....But Come, means over here NOW!!

He's improved remarkably over the past few weeks. I try to take him and train him when no one else in around, early mornings are the best.
    He's still not perfect either. I would love to hear what some of the more experienced dog owners here have to say...I'm sure there are threads galore on it somewhere too....
    Well, off to the second job....See you all tomorrow!!

Well, unless you are in a dog park......I don't care how friendly the dog is, I hate when people let their dogs off leashes. It's not that I mind the dogs coming up to *me* it's my dogs I'm worried about. Even if the dog does not have a mean bone in its body....well, Reggie does. He is a total sweetie to people, but he gets quite aggressive on his leash. When unleashed dogs come up to him, it makes him mad, which in turn usually makes the other dog mad...and Reggie is not a large dog. I hate having to pick him up while he claws at me to get down and growl at the dog. Smokey is fine with other dogs.

If everyone would just keep their dogs on leashes, I'd be able to take my anti social terrier terror more places, and not be in fear of another dog running up to us.....

Reggie actually comes to me quite well, but not well enough that I trust him off leash. Smokey doesn't listen, and I don't think he can hear to well anymore either.

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)

Come

We had Cookie trained on the 'come' command perfectly. No problems, she'd listen and come and knows that it also means that she has to sit down next to me and look up at me.

Then puberty came along and we've to start all over again. And this time it's so much harder to get her to listen. We train every morning and afternoon, and we're getting there slowly but surely.

For me it's important that Cookie follows me. I go bike riding a lot with her. She's on a springer till we reach the country club, than it's off leash and she can run/walk freely. We train to come there as well, and as long as there's no water for her to see, she'll come. Otherwise the seal in her shows up and takes over

This morning we had an encounter with a Great Dane who was on a leash. Since we walk with a group of dogs, all of them are off-leash. One dominant Australian Shepherd went over to check the Dane (just sniffing, nothing else). The owner kicked the male in his stomach and accused the owner of not taking care of her dog and he was going to report her to the police.

Originally posted by anna_66
    Dixieland, she has learned the "Come" command and knows it very well. She just thinks if we are out, and she is off leash, it's time to play! I don't know if you ever read my post about her running out the front door..but she ran almost to the road, and I said "Roxey Come", she stopped dead in her tracks and turned and came to me, but kinda jumped around a little like "let's play mom!". So, I really don't trust her completely. Maybe it's her age (1yr), and she will, over time be more trustworthy, but for now, I still don't quite trust her. You say you are (or was) a trainer? Do you have any suggestions on how to make her more trustworthy, besides continuous training? In the back yard, she always comes when called, but when something else looks more exciting, I just don't feel she would listen.
    At 1 year her age does have a lot to do with it. She is entering into those turbulent teen years and like CC's MOM said, sometimes they just plain forget any previous training! I would not say at 1 though that she knows the command very well. Knowing the command very well means that even in play when you give the command she will listen. Without constant training and use of the command, it is hard to keep the concept of come in their thought.

In the intermediate levels of competitive obedience the come is still a excercise that is judged. Basically because it is recognized that this is something that takes a whole lot of training in order to be effective. This stage of training also incorporates the down on the recall.

I wish there was an easy way of telling you how to train her to be consistent without more training but I can't. I can however offer you some suggestions on training her to be more consistent in her response to the command. But there is training involved! If you are interested and want more info then just let me know. I will be happy to offer some suggestions.

Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer

At the park we go to, I let the dogs off leash. My fear when they meet someone is that they may lick them to death!

I do worry about that with Sadie too!!!!