View Poll Results: Do you have a fence on your propety?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

69 75.00%
  • No.

16 17.39%
  • We have a small portion fenced for the dog(s).

7 7.61%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is your property fenced?

Is your property fenced?

This poll is prompted by something I have been noticing when I scan petfinder.com. Most dog rescue groups insist that your property must be fenced in order to adopt through them.

I feel you can be good dog parents without a fence.

So I thought I'd ask you all if YOU have a fenced area for your dogs.

My yard is not fenced all the way around. It would be great to let them run free in the back yard but I feel like a person can still be a good pet owner without a fence. I know my kids have to have a fenced in yard for their crew. My Granddogs thrive on their fence play sessions. Those dogs have so much energy, they need extra fence time in addition to their walkies. Plus, they love to overlook the neighborhood for predators

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Our yard isn't fenced at all.
    It will be at the start of next year, though.

Huskies MUST be fenced, preferably with at least 6' high fencing and often people bury fencing a foot underground to prevent escapes. Some huskies will "untwine" metal fencing. We have 6' kennel fencing. Sherman prefers digging, so most of the fence perimeter now has cement blocks buried in his holes & filled in with dirt. We used to have 4' fencing, Star would leap over it in one bound, climb up it in the corners, and pull her doggie friends over the top of it into our yard. She's so creative. I think being a good doggy owner means doing whatever is in the best interest of your chosen breed to keep them safe.

Fenced!
    We have a wooden fence, the back corner of our yard is 6' tall and the rest is 4'. Before we adopted Buddy, Sierra would jumped the fence to play with the neighborhood dogs! But not anymore!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Ours is completly fenced with atleast 5" fencing. I would not have dogs in an unfenced yard. Our kids have access to inside and outside at all times and love this set up, they spend alot of time outside in the yard playing at this time of year (Before it gets too hot).
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

You CAN be a good doggy parent without a fenced yard.

But it is more difficult. Most shelters require a fence because they recognize that a lot of people begin by taking their dogs for walks and end up just letting them out in the yard. "I just let him out for 5 minutes! Really, he never leaves the yard!" is an often heard comment when a dog goes missing.

I couldn't have dogs without good fences. Mine is 6 foot wooden fence all around the back yard. Keeps other dogs (and dognappers) away and my dogs in.

Our yard is not fenced. I would LOVE to get it fenced, but, my grandpa will not go for it. (he lives in a trailor house in our yard) I live on a HUGE farm, so the dogs just go wherever it is that they please. Autumn and Maggie love to go run out in the field and hunt mice. I have had dogs on this farm my whole life, and I have never had one wander off. They all stay in the yard and warn off anything that shouldn't be here.

I agree, having a fenced in yard is a must for some dogs. I would prefer having a fenced in area for the dogs, but at the moment we don't have anything. When we move though, we will have a fenced in area.
    DeviantArt
    Beth-
    Maggie [lab x germanshepherd], Autumn [Cattle dog x chow], C.P. [Domestic short hair] Henry [domestic short hair] Mittens [siamese/ x ], Buck [paint horse], Indy [Paint horse]

Yes, the backyard is fenced, and I am glad!

Our yard is not fenced *yet*. It is high on our priority list for next spring after we build a deck. It has been on our list since Malone was a puppy, but there were too many other pressing house projects. One of the benefits that we DO have is a 3/4 mile trail that runs right beside our house (snowmobilers use it in the wintertime, but the rest of the time it is pretty much unused); and we let the two dogs run and play 2-3 times per week. The other days, we take them for a leashed walk up the road.

Our back yard is fenced. 6' privacy fencing. It wasn't when we first got Roscoe, but he ran away several times so we decided to go ahead and fence the yard, it's been much better since we did.

Nope.. not fenced. The only fence we have is the fence going between us and the neighbour.

My dogs have learned since day one that if they leave the yard before me, they'll be in trouble.

They're never out there unattended - and they wouldn't be even if we had a fence. I never have problems with them darting out of the yard.

Both applications for our dogs asked if we had a fenced backyard - we answered yes - but we really don't.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Interesting. Actually, my back yard IS fenced too (I live in a city row....ALL the yards are fenced), but it is only 4 foot high on one side, 6 foot on the other.

I too prefer a fenced yard, but I still think it is a bit restricting to not adopt ANY dog to a person with no fence. (and yes, I realize that certain breeds need it more than others)

We live in an apartment, so no, the yard is not fenced. There is a small fenced in area designated for pooping in, but it's not big enough to enjoy a nice run in.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

We have fencing around a pretty large portion of our yard, but also fencing, inside of that, for the dogs, which is a bit higher. They are never outside of fencing, without leashes, except for Lilly, who is trustworthy, off leash.