Thread: American ban on goldfish and koi

American ban on goldfish and koi

Major rant. October 31 may be the last day stores can get goldfish and koi from suppliers outside the country. Over 90% of goldfish in stores come from out of the country because American suppliers don't have good quality or prices. This is due to a strain of disease that wild, natural carp are susceptable to and that can be carried by ornamental fish. The government is giving other countries just 30 days to comply to inspection standards.

Here's info: USDA TO PLACE IMPORT RESTRICTIONS ON LIVE FISH, FERTILIZED EGGS AND GAMETES SUSCEPTIBLE TO SPRING VIREMIA OF CARP
    WASHINGTON, Aug. 29, 2006--The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service is proposing to establish regulations restricting the importation of live fish, fertilized eggs and gametes of fish from certain species that are susceptible to spring viremia of carp (SVC).
    The following species are considered susceptible to SVC: common carp (including koi), grass carp, silver carp, bighead carp, Crucian carp, goldfish, tench and sheatfish.
    SVC is an extremely contagious viral disease of carp. Outbreaks of SVC confirmed in the United States in 2002 and 2004, and since eradicated, have been linked to unregulated importation of SVC-infected fish. This action is necessary to prevent further introductions of the virus into the United States.
    This action is scheduled for publication in the Aug. 30 Federal Register and becomes effective Sept. 29.
    Consideration will be given to comments received on or before Oct. 30. Send an original and three copies of postal mail or commercial delivery comments to Docket No. APHIS 2006-0107, Regulatory Analysis and Development, PPD, APHIS, Station 3A-03.8, 4700 River Road, Unit 118, Riverdale, MD 20737-1238. If you wish to submit a comment using the Internet, go to the Federal eRulemaking portal at http://www.regulations.gov and, in the “Search Regulations and Federal Actions” box, select “Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service” from the agency drop-down menu; then click on “Submit.” In the Docket ID column, select APHIS-2006-0107 to submit or view public comments and to view supporting and related materials available electronically.
    Comments are posted on the Regulations.gov Web site and may also be reviewed at USDA, Room 1141, South Building, 14th St. and Independence Ave., S.W., Washington, D.C., between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. To facilitate entry into the comment reading room, please call (202) 690-2817."

The outbreaks they refer to were within supplier farms, not with wild carp. What this means to the average person is that goldfish prices are going to skyrocket as American suppliers get the advantage, and some stores have already decided that they will stop the sales of goldfish once this ban is implemented. To me it means a loss of the best genepool. Aquariums are my main hobby and a big part of my life. I plan to breed goldfish eventually and this is a big blow. American suppliers have unhealthy, poor type fish. Just like dog breeds and breeders, American suppliers ruin almost every fish they get. Importing will still be allowed, but impossible. Fish will have to be visually inspected. Goldfish and koi are rush shipped ideally in under 16 hours, but with inspections they could have to sit for days at ports waiting and dying. There is not enough water or oxygen in the packaging for a goldfish or koi to survive more than two days. Ironically, they are usually packed so securly that a visual inspection for the disease symptoms would be impossible.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I can't belive this That is horriable for you and all the people who love goldfish and keep them. I love goldfish and was going to keep them in the future.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Thats insane.. it seems like all the top-notch breeders are from other countries at all! =( How I've never had any plans to buy from a breeder, it still means that fishstores owned locally won't have anything...

I will tell you one of the reasons why. Although this is highly illeagal it is still being done. Some fisherman use them to fish with as bait and when they get off the hook and survive (which has been proven and thus for this law) they get into the lakes and create disease for the fresh water fish. I read an article years ago on this and knew it was coming.
    Tim ~ Majestic Collies

"Just when you think there are no Angels, a Collie comes into your life"
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    but by the moments that take our breath away"

GIVE ME THE HELPLESS, THE LOST, THE HOMELESS LITTLE ONES STRUGGLING TO LIVE; SEND THESE WEAK,
    ABANDONED LIVES TO ME, I OFFER HOPE, CARE, WARMTH AND MOST OF ALL LOVE,

Pledge of a Rescue Worker

Apparently this disease can affect livebearers and danios too, but they are not being restricted. Keep in mind many guppies, platies, mollies, and swordtails are wild-caught. I understand why they can want tighter inspection policies, but to only give 30 days for compliance is rediculous when the disease has only been found twice in captive fish populations.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton