Thread: Allergies..can anyone recomend a food or vitamins

Hybrid View

Allergies..can anyone recomend a food or vitamins

Konnor has terrible allergies to something in Dog food. Before we fed him RAW his whole stomach was red and covered in ichy bumps. We switched him on to RAW and his allergies went away. He has since been switched back onto kibble (a different brand then before) and he is having worse reactions to it then before. He is always itching, all over like he is covered in a million fleas. Hi stomach is red and covered in red bumps again. I know the easy thing would be to switch him onto RAW again, but I worry that with RAW I'm not providing him with the proper nutrition he needs (I’m not saying that a RAW diet does not give dogs proper notional value, I'm saying that I worry in the diet I am feeding him, I’m going to miss something).

Does anyone know of some really good doggie vitamins I could buy him to add to his food? Specifically something that might help his skin and coat? Also, does anyone feed hypoallergenic food to there dogs? If so, what kind? I'm going to switch him onto a food made for dogs with allergies soon and I would also like to get him started on some vitamins. Any suggestions welcome, I'm going out to buy his food/vitamins probably this weekend. Hopefully he will be feeling better. If not I will have no choice but to place him back on RAW.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

There's a brand Barking At The Moon (I think, I'll double check)... I've heard good things about it from friends who have switched to it because of allergies.

Do you know what he's allergic to? What kibble are you feeding him?

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I've fed Nebo Natural Balance Venison and Brown rice which is meant for dogs will allergies, and he has done well with that. Good luck.

Try switching to a Lamb and Rice kibble, or Venison and Rice.

As a person with food allergies, I can tell you that there is no vitamin in the world that will have any affect whatsoever. You need to read ingredient labels religiously. Start with a lamb/venison and rice formula, give that a few days. The shorter the ingredient list on the kibble is, the better, because you can "process of elimination" it with him.

Keep in mind, too that if it's skin reactions, you want to be sure it's not some mold or pollen in the environment this time of year that's aggravating him as well. Autumn can be brutal that way.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Karen - I'm more looking for vitamins to boost his skin and coat. Ever since his first out break in the beginning of the summer, his skin and coat has never been the same (even when he was on RAW) so I'm looking for something to get him back to where he was and keep him there. I'm also looking for a good, multi vitamin. The thing with him being allergic to the environment is his problems start and stop when he is taken on or off kibble. However, he has never been tested for allergies (although the vet has confirmed and gave me plenty of meds for his allergies) so I can not say for certain what he is allergic to. The next food we were going to try with him is Nature's Variety - Venision and Rice. Or I was considering switching him onto a Duck and Potato food.

BC_MoM - I was feeding him Chicken Soup for the Pet lovers soul. He did great on it in Pennsylvania, but when we moved down to Georgia, it no longer agreed with him. When we switched him onto RAW his skin problems disappeared, which makes me assume it was something in the food (maybe they changed an ingredient?). When he was switched back onto kibble he was switched onto Natures Variety Chicken Meal and Rice.

Wolf Q - Thanks I will look into Natural Balance, does Nebo have allergies or do you just feed him that kind of food?

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Nebo's never had any sort of skin allergies but when he has been on other (chicken based) food he had an upset stomach a lot more often.

I would recommend a duck and potato, or there is a food out there with kangaroo in it? That is supposed to be great for allergies.

I had Zoie on the regular Natural Balance and she was itchy all over, I switched to Chicken Soup and since then it had stopped. It will vary from dog to dog on what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspen and Misty
    Konnor has terrible allergies to something in Dog food. Before we fed him RAW his whole stomach was red and covered in ichy bumps. We switched him on to RAW and his allergies went away. He has since been switched back onto kibble (a different brand then before) and he is having worse reactions to it then before. He is always itching, all over like he is covered in a million fleas. Hi stomach is red and covered in red bumps again. I know the easy thing would be to switch him onto RAW again, but I worry that with RAW I'm not providing him with the proper nutrition he needs (I’m not saying that a RAW diet does not give dogs proper notional value, I'm saying that I worry in the diet I am feeding him, I’m going to miss something).

Does anyone know of some really good doggie vitamins I could buy him to add to his food? Specifically something that might help his skin and coat? Also, does anyone feed hypoallergenic food to there dogs? If so, what kind? I'm going to switch him onto a food made for dogs with allergies soon and I would also like to get him started on some vitamins. Any suggestions welcome, I'm going out to buy his food/vitamins probably this weekend. Hopefully he will be feeling better. If not I will have no choice but to place him back on RAW.

Ashley
    I have fed raw for 19 years. Honestly my opinion is that no kibble can compare to raw diet. It doesnt have the perservatives, more natural what a dog as a conavoire would eat, and better for them.
    As far as vitamins, i like Missing Link as its a granular. If you having skin Problems try Hair of the dog by Doc blend. One of my dogs is rescue with severe thyroid and had bald spots they said would occur from the medication. Yea well- in 3 weeks she was fine. See my website on my dogs and it gives you more information. www.beckonridgeborzoi.com