Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: german shepherd/great dane mix

I know this post is super old, but I could not help but join when I saw it to comment. I have a 2 year old Dane/Shepherd mix named Tyberious. The Mom was a Dane, in heat, and the Dad, the Shepherd, jumped the fence to get to her while the owner was in the shower. She had 14 puppies, all of who made it. One boy, whom is now mine. He is Brindle with the body of a Dane and the head, tail, and coat of a Shepherd. He does shed! A LOT! Riding in the car with him the other day on the way to the dog park, his fur was literally flying out the window off of him. With that being said, he is one of the best dogs I have ever owned. He loves to be up in everyones business, which can put some people off. He has a really annoying habit of taking my arm in his mouth. He is not biting down when he does it, he just kind of sucks on it and slobbers up my whole arm. He only does this to me, I don't mind so it is a problem I did not care to work on. Extremely intelligent and sometimes a bit ADD, but he is the most eager to please. If In the car, the windows can be down in every seat other than mine with 5 open seats and he still wants in my lap. I know everybody has touched on the topic of shelters and ignorant breeders, with that being said, I think they make a wonderful breed in their own. I would love to see them one day professionally bred out. We have the luxury of knowing 6 of his sisters and their families and they all have had wonderful experiences with their dogs also. He has some of the best traits from both breeds. Although, I have never seen his agressive side until the other day at the park. He normally wants to be friends with every dog he meets. In fact, when he was younger, he would whine to go play with the small dogs in the other section of the park. Unfortunetely, it made me the laughing stock of the dog park. With that being said, after making about 7 new friends at the park the other day, we saw two Mastiffs coming towards us. As we were walking along the path I could already see the owners struggling to contain their beasts and their growls were audible from a way aways. Tybo stood on his haunches and barked at them after taking his stance in front of me and my boyfriend, much like I have seen Shepherds doing. He has never had a reason to be protective over us before, but now we know he really is since we witnessed that. It kind of scared me to see my baby behaving so aggressively. With that being said, they should not have had their extremely agressive dogs at the park... but that is a whole other rant. If you want to know more about my experience, ask!

Hello!

I have a Great Dane/German Shepherd mix, he's just shy of a year old. All he knows how to do is play and love. He's very codependent (I believe this is the is the Great Dane in him) and gets separation anxiety anytime we leave or leave him outside. I've never seen him be agreessive, not even when he plays. He does chew A LOT, so we diligently worked on redirecting him, but to this day he's still mouthy, as puppies are. I will say, he's not the smartest dog in the world. I'm not sure if this is breed specific or just him. He didn't really pick up on any training until about 7 months. But now he's done a 180. I guess it just took him time to understand call and response and he picks up things easily now. Also, as a puppy he was very timid and scared of everything but still very curious. He always wants to be around animals and other people. Although, he hasn't learned to be gentle with smaller people/animals yet. I'm not sure if this is something we can teach considering we got him so early, he didn't learn much from his littermates.

I would say this breed needs love, love, love. They're a very needy and active breed. I'm positive he thinks he can survive on cuddles alone. Train them early because they're going to get BIG. My dog weighs 110 and 11 months old. We can't "make" him do anything due to how big he is, so it's really important that he's compliant. We have a really hard time at the vet when they try to take his tempature. It takes myself and at least two other vets/assistance to hold him down for anything they need to do.

Last edited by FurBabiesFTW; 06-28-2017 at 05:15 PM.