Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there something wrong with this sentence?

Is there something wrong with this sentence?

The story is sad...but the way the newspaper started off the story this morning, sounds like the guy is in better shape than they thought...

Cops are investigating after a man was discovered dead overlooking the Bow River this morning.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Well, if they found him while he was overlooking the river, he can't be TOO dead, can he?

Hope they get a second opinion....
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

There's definately something wrong with that sentence! It makes no sense at all, and it doesn't help much to change the words around!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Randi - exactly! This is TOO funny, and I wonder if the writer is getting thoroughly teased by their colleagues today!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

It's amazing they get away with it. I suppose they try to get it all in one "smart" sentence, but this certainly doesn't work! There's a collection somewhere on the web of all of these silly mistakes.

The instructions/manuals to various gadgets are even worse. I think John posted some of them here a few years ago.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Cops are investigating after a man was discovered dead overlooking the Bow River this morning.

I dont see anything strange or funny. Because,
    The "overlooking" is a figure of speech to describe where they found the man.

They could of said "around the Bow River" - "near the Bow River" - "at the Bow River" for example.

Overlooking is used allot to describie locations.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

As a former staff writer at a newspaper, blame the editors. THEY are the ones that have the final say in how the article is edited and printed.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Craftlady
    I dont see anything strange or funny. Because,
    The "overlooking" is a figure of speech to describe where they found the man.

They could of said "around the Bow River" - "near the Bow River" - "at the Bow River" for example.

Overlooking is used allot to describie locations.
    I have to disagree. "Overlooking" has to describe something. The road overlooking, or a terrace overlooking, but just "overlooking" is wrong. Since they didn't qualify the verb with another subject it leaves one believing the man is "overlooking" the Bow River. The other examples you gave didn't involve verbs, so they did not need an additional subject.

They could have said that the man was found dead at the bow river
    overlook. That would make better sense.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I think I would put it....

Cops are investigating after a man was discovered dead this morning on a spot overlooking the Bow River .
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

12. I assume the view must be deadly......

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger's Mom
    I have to disagree. "Overlooking" has to describe something. The road overlooking, or a terrace overlooking, but just "overlooking" is wrong. Since they didn't qualify the verb with another subject it leaves one believing the man is "overlooking" the Bow River. The other examples you gave didn't involve verbs, so they did not need an additional subject.
    Well, it could be using to describe the spot they found the body at, the spot was overlooking the river. That makes sense.

facebook

Rachel, that is how they should have put it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    Well, it could be using to describe the spot they found the body at, the spot was overlooking the river. That makes sense.
    Yes, it could have. Unfortunately, it didn't say that, and that is what makes the sentence incorrect. In a news article the reader should not have to try guess what the writer is describing.