Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: There is a kitten trapped- UPDATE I have THEM *3*

There is a kitten trapped- UPDATE I have THEM *3*

Oh my gosh! I heard a kitten crying this morning and I finally located it under my sunroom. I had to struggle to get the crawl space door open but then nothing came out so I got down on my knees and looked in and saw nothing. I left the door open so just in case it could get out and I came back in to rest (I just had surgery a week ago). As I sat here it began to cry again. After sitting out there and crawling around I have determined it is stuck down inside the concrete blocks that make up the support wall and I would have to crawl in several feet to get him. I called Richard and he has forbidden me to do it since I'm still suppose to be taking it easy from the surgery. He said he would come get it as soon as he can get away from work in a little while.

I called Rural/Metro - our fire, rescue, ambulance servirce that we are a member of and they told me they don't do cat rescues. Oh gosh I want to crawl under there myself but just getting that old door open that was stuck has already caused me some cramping and other problems. I hate this!

The worst part is I'm pretty sure I heard it crying yesterday afternoon when I got out of the shower but it quit and I figured it was just a bird because there were so many singing in the backyard.

I bet you anything that cat I thought was pregnant was and she had her kittens under there.

I want to get that baby out quick! Oh please hurry home Richard!

UPDATE a couple of post lower!
    Last edited by jazzcat; 10-06-2006 at 04:11 PM.

From Decker with Love

Call your local county/city animal shelter person they should beable to get the ball rolling for help.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Oh my goodness! What a distressing experience for both you and the kitten. It's going to be awful for you having to wait but you know you have to, no choice in that at all. I'd suggest putting a plank inside at an angle but you would hurt yourself more. Do you have any idea how the mother cat got into your crawl space? I'll keep dashing into this thread during my work day to see how thing progress. I feel sure that there will be a positive outcome but we'll all be on tenterhooks until we hear about the rescue.

I've got him!!! His eyes are open so he's maybe about 2 weeks old!!! I'll update in a little bit once hubby get here!!!

From Decker with Love

Awwww! I wonder where his mom and sibs are???

I bet he is happy to be cuddled and safe! Is he eating at all?

Keep us posted!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

That's a relief and much quicker than I expected. Do you think there is a chance he got away from mom and crawled through a small hole by himself?

What a relief.....hope you are OK as well...especially after your surgery. Keep us posted.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Were you under that deck???

Looking forward to hearing more. Poor baby!

I have tears in my eyes reading this thread. I am so glad you are both out of there!

I'm so glad to hear that you were able to rescue the kitten. I wonder how he/she got under there and if there are any more kittens some where. Please continue to keep us updated.

newest update. I have the black and white tuxie and have now fed him KMR. He wasn't under the house but stuck in some evergreen juniper against the house so I as able to get him with a little digging. He is currently resting on my chest as I type this.

Now for the bigger news. Richard got home and decided to go look at the juniper and found two more solid gray kittens who don't want to be rescued and are hissing and spitting. He took pictures of them but I haven't gotten them uploaded yet.

What should we do? The mom is the feral acting cat I've been feeding for a few weeks and she has them under this big mound of juniper where for the moment they are safe. I called my vet and they recommend I put the tuxie back, call animal control and let them trap and catch momma and gather the babies so they can be together.

I don't know what to do. I'm already in love with this little troublemaker but he needs to be with his mom. Plus I'm absolutely exhausted from all this so I know I'm not up to bottle feeding three little ones right now.

Help!

From Decker with Love

Awwww bless you for rescuing him! Hopefully you can get meowmie cat and the sibs and they can all be together.
    "The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched - they must be felt with the heart." ~~ Helen Keller
    ------------------------------------------------
    Chuck (rb) meowmie misses you!

------------------------------------------------

thanks kittycats_delights for the sig!

Complicating this issue is the fact that you are not at this time up to the physical labor of rescue etc. and (I don't think) have room to isolate the mother cat with her kittens (she would take care of the feeding, etc.). It would be best for this group if they could all be in someone's home. I'd want to grab the kittens while they were still grabbable, then trap the mother and keep the whole group in isolation while they were being socialized. Has kitten season slowed down at all so that some foster homes are available? I'd assume calling animal control is to put them at risk of an early death if the shelter is overloaded - but perhaps the organization in your area has more options. Do any PT'ers live near enough to you to help?

I can imagine how much you are enjoying cuddling that tiny baby. We'd all find it next to impossible to put him back.

Lizzie - you are right, I really don't have any place to house the mother and kittens. I don't know what to do. I've called the rescue where I adopted Jazz and Scout and left a message asking for their advice. Richard is pushing me to make decision if I want to put the tuxie back or if I want him to gather the other two and keep the three kittens in the house at least tonight.

I've never been able to get the mom to trust me. She runs off when she sees me in the window watching her eat and to make matters even worse, this weekend we saw a coyote in the woods on the other side of our chain link fence. I've been so worried about her since.

From Decker with Love

Ask your rescue group if putting the kitten(s) in a live trap might encourage the momcat to go in there?

Amazing how tame the tuxie is when his sibs are spitting and hissing!

The little guy needs to be fed from his mom...but ask your vet if he is likely to be in harm's way if he goes back with your scent on him.

Maybe it will help her get used to you. Put a towel with your scent near the juniper.

I hope you get this fur family together!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda