Thread: My dog has pneumonia...

My dog has pneumonia...

I got my dog (Jack Russell) from the pet rescue on Sunday. She came home and was rather lethargic and sneezing constantly. We thought she was just nervous and needed some time to adjust. She was also spayed the week before, so we thought maybe she was just tired from the operation. The cough came on Monday and we assumed it was just a case of kennel cough. The lady who runs the rescue gave me Clavamox to give to her on Wed. By Wed. night she was worse- no appetite, coughing excessively, shaking, etc. I made an appointment at the vet first thing Thurs morning. I took her in and they did a chest x-ray. Sure enough, she has a mild case of pneumonia. They prescribed her some Zithromax and we gave it to her last night. She slept with me last night bundled up in her fleece blanket. I am really concerned that she is not eating at all. We did as the vet instructed and put warm water over her dry dog food to make it softer/soggy. She sniffed it, ate one bite and walked away. She loves hot dogs, so should I try feeding her a hot dog or will it make her feel worse? She has to eat in order to get her strength back. I am also hoping that once she fights the illness, she will have the normal "Jack Russell" energy and playfulness because she has not had it since we got her. I know, watch what you wish for. =) Any advice on what to feed her/ do for her? Please help!! Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Have you tried mixing her kibble with chicken broth? Or even frying up some hamburger and making some rice (no butter or salt though) and feeding that??

But don't worry I can assure you she will be back in no time!!

facebook

Aw, she's a cute little one.What is her name? Jessika gave good advice
    with the broth, or hamb. & rice for awhile till her appitite returns. You should
    check back with your Vet for ideas if this continues.be careful that she
    doesn't get dehydrated. Best of luck with her.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Awwww!! She's adorable. I hope she starts feeling better real soon!! Please keep us posted. Can't wait to see more pics of her

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Oh poor Stitch. She is such a little cutie. The only thing I thought of was as Jessika suggested, heat up a little ground beef and rice and mix it in with her food. I hope she starts feeling better real soon. I can't wait to hear her adventures as she settles in to her new home. Best of luck.

Awww. how adorable! Poor little girl. When you feel sick, you just don't feel like eating. I'd be concerned about her liquid consumption. I do remember, someone mentioning Gatorade..I think..check with your vet. I'm sure once the meds kick in, your precious baby will be back to her JRT self...whish.........

When my Logan just got back from dental cleaning, she didn't feel like dinner, so I added a bit of grilled hamburger, cut up and she ate almost half. That was her first people food treat. I'm sure Stitch will improve rapidly and be fine in no time! Please give her lots of huggies!

I've been Boooo'd!

Update!!

Stitch is feeling better and she is eating like a champ! I gave her half a hot dog, some pepperoni and some lunchmeat ham. Once she ate that, she began eating her dog food again. She is still coughing, but it is more of a dry cough now and she is definitely coughing less than before. We only have 2 days left of her medicine and I am happy to say that she is acting like a regular JRT- stubborn, playful and a little hyper. Thank you for your help, everyone! I will post some pictures later today or tomorrow. I am taking her to my parents house to play in their large backyard.

That's so great to hear she is feeling better now.She looks like such
    a sweetie.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt