Thread: Potty Training

Potty Training

We have a 4 mo old Min Pin that we just got. His previous owner hadn't even named him. She said 4 mo pups are too "stupid" to answer to their name. We had him 2 days and he was coming to Zeus when we called.

I take him out when he first gets up, right after he eats and before bed always. And he's pretty good about going to the door when he needs out. But now he has started refusing to go when he gets let out. I can stand out there for 20 minutes and he will come back in and promptly pee on the rug.

Any advice or idea why he is doing this?? He never poops in the house, just pees and it's not a daily thing.

HELP!! Thanks
    Heather

i had that problem for a little while too with cainan! What i started doing was walking around the yard with him instead of just standing there and waiting! or i take a short walk down the block. He eventually realizes he has to pee once we start walking. So while he's going i get REALLY excited that he went, and i just keep saying "good boy cainan, good boy" after a few times he finally started to understand that when you let him outside he goes pee! he distinguishes outside=pee, instead=no pee! try walking around with him, sometimes you may have to walk further, just depending! good luck!!

have you tried taking him to the same spot in the yard everytime?

no matter how bad my dog has to go, she will drag me to the other side of the yard and take a second to find the "magic spot" before she will pee.

We go to the same spot everytime. I have also tried the little walk but that doesn't work either. Hopefully we'll get it down soon. I make a huge deal out of it when he does go so maybe that will help.

Thanks for the info.

Heather

Unhappy Ticha

My four year old Siberian Husky Female also seems to have lost her house-training mind! We live in the desert, and our "yard" is small red volcanic rock, which she seems to do okay with until it rains. She hates to walk on it, even worse, she refuses to do her business. We bring her in the house, and she has begun to use her crate, but now she has started using the carpet near her crate. My husband is thinking in terms of finding her a home! I know that we can't tolerate this, and the rain has stopped but she hasn't. Worse. The forcast is for more rain tonight. She actually refuses to get off the porch when it is raining. I am helpless! I can't walk her when it is raining, although I am considering dragging her. I have kept her in her crate when she wouldn't go outside and she just goes in the crate. She did better at six weeks old when we got her!

Help!!!

Ticha
    Last edited by Ticha; 10-11-2006 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to delete formatting info. [FONT]

isn't volcanic rock pretty pourous and sharp? i bet she doesn't like to walk on it because maybe it hurts her feet, have you tried potty mats or getting her doggy boots? or you could even buy a roll of astro turf from a sporting goods store, lol.