Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Niņo was bitten

Niņo was bitten

I thought I'd tell you all and ask for some advice. I was at work all day but when my step-dad picked me up, the first thing he told me was that when he was jogging in the street with Niņo, an elderly Golden Retriever came up and lunged at Niņo snarling. The owner appologised greatly and said the dog had never done anything like it before. They all thought he didn't break the skin, but I found a spot of blood on him a few minutes ago. When I looked closer, I found a puncture wound. What should I do for him? I'm home alone babysitting my sisters right now.

Niņo & Eliza

Where is the wound?
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

pics attatched
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wound1.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	393.1 KB 
ID:	30716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wound2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	30717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wound.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	444.1 KB 
ID:	30718  

Niņo & Eliza

Try cleaning it with a warm, wet rag and then put some antibiotic ointment on it.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

ok, that's what I'll do. Do you mean like neosporin or something like that?

Niņo & Eliza

Yep.

poor Nino! on the last picture it looks like it's kinda deep. I would keep an eye on it and take him to the vet when you can just to be safe so it doesn't get infencted.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

You can also put hydrogen peroxide on it to clean the wound out. Then the antibiotic. I agree, it looks deep. Nino looks a bit uncomfortable by his expression. He may also need an antibiotic pill. That's a shame. Were either of the dogs off leash?

I've been Boooo'd!

Ouch! Poor Niņo! That looks like it hurts.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Poor Niņo . Winston was attacked last year and had multiple bite wounds like that all over him. We took him to the vet and he said just to put some neosporin on it about 3 times daily. You're also supposed to clean it with a warm cloth before every application of ointment. He didn't think antiobiotics were necessary at all.

I hope Niņo get's better soon, and will be healed in no time!

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

He'll probably go to the vet tomorrow. While cleaning it I hound about 3 other small shallow ones.
    K9Karen, He was leashed, the Golden apparantly ran out of his yard or house unleashed. I wasn't actually there when it happened.

Niņo & Eliza

Niņo!!! My poor puppy!! That does look like a rather deep puncture wound. Looks like the teeth sank right in instead of skimming the top...Ouch! Anyways, I agree with the rest, and you might want to clip the fur around it and apply some sort of bandage. My pups have never gotten bitten so I'm not too sure what you should do :/

Awwww!!! Poor Nino! Get better sweetie!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Poor Nino. Aw, Eva, I am so sorry to hear that. I hope that sweet boy is feeling better today. {{{Hugs}}} to that big boy.

Quote Originally Posted by K9karen
    You can also put hydrogen peroxide on it to clean the wound out. Then the antibiotic. I agree, it looks deep. Nino looks a bit uncomfortable by his expression. He may also need an antibiotic pill. That's a shame. Were either of the dogs off leash?
    The hydrogen peroxide is probablly good to clean it at first, but don't use it regularly. Ralph normally cleaned things this way, and when Sadie just had her surgery a few weeks ago, Ralph mentioned tot he vey he was using hydrogen peroxide to clean it. They told him that will actaully destoy some of the "bacteria" helping the wound heal.

Spot had a similar puncture wound a few years ago. If I remember right, the vet gave us an antibioccream (like neosporin) and an oral antibiotic. I think they also shaved around the area to clean it out.