Thread: Service Dogs

Service Dogs

Does anyone own a Service Dog? Mine just completed his training after two years of hard work. Even thou Certification is not a requirement in the US by the ADA (American With Disabilities Act) Shadow is. We're just waiting for his paperwork to arrive.

Shadow is a Boxador (Lab/Boxer mix) and is super intelligent. You can read all about his journey thru his training at: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=142635

I'm also new to posting and hopefully I'll be able to pop in once and awhile to post.

Ellen and Shadow Walker

Your dog is real beauty and obviously very smart too! Welcome to Pet Talk!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Hi Ellen and Shadow!! Welcome to Pet Talk!! We'll look forward to hearing more from you and this handsome man!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Welcome to Pet Talk! Shadow is soooo handsome. My sister adopted a black lab/boxer mix female puppy about six months ago. I haven't met her in person yet, but her puppy picture looks a lot like Shadow's puppy picture. I hope she grows up to be as pretty and as smart as Shadow.

Welcome to Pet Talk! Shadow is very handsome! Congratulations on his certification, that is a fantastic thing. I don't personally have a service dog, however there is a neighbor dog (he's is an "All American Dog" if you know what I mean) that is a service dog and was certified last year.
    Jessica

Thank you so much Kay for this great Sig!!

Congrats!
    What a special pup he is in Deed!!
    My name is Angie and I am owned by the 2 GSD rescues in my siggy, Buddy and Sierra.
    I hope you stick around Pet Talk!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

welcome to pet talk! Im here in arizona too, i am owned by 2 dogs ( a dane and a hound)..i look forward to seeing more pics of your handsome boy!

What a handsome boy! Shadow is absolutley stunning. Congratulations on his certification!! He must be one smart boy. If you don't mind me asking what is Shadow specifically trained to do?

Welcome to pet talk! Shadow is a beautiful boy. I have a high respect for service dogs and therapy dogs.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Congratulations, Shadow! You're very handsome!

My close family friend trained her little dog to be a service dog for her.

Niño & Eliza

Shadow's Tasks

Shadow started his training with a local trainer for a couple months. She then sent us out on our own to train him on the Public Access Test. After a few months we found a school that was FREE and they trained the disabled to train their own Service Dogs. Shadow was in the program for a year and he had problems retrieving, picking up and holding on objects. I told them from the beginning that he has a weird shaped jaw and they only called them excuses. Finally I asked his Vet what could be the problem and she said he has a badly deformed jaw and will have difficulity picking up and holding objects. I told them and they said excuses... Then I called his first trainer and she wanted a 2nd opinion. The 2nd opinion was the best, time consuming exam and it definately showed that Shadow's teeth don't line up and that he can only chew on the 2 back molars. He'll never be able to retrieve for me, but his other tasks he has mastered. The ADA doesn't require the Take command... only that a Service Dog should do at least three tasks for my individual disability needs.

1) Helping with getting up and down from any type of furniture
    2) Assisting with stairs, curbs and elevators
    3) Support for walking

He also can turn on touch lamps, but I'm afraid he'll break the one I have so I don't ask him to do it anymore.

So, Shadow got the doggie boot from the formal school in August because he couldn't do the Take command and for my online diary on dogster. I then found Pets and People; Companions in Therapy and Service to have him certified. Since he completed his Public Access test and passed it with the formal school last April they just had my original trainer redo the test and notarize it stating that he's a Service Dog. So, they now have his paperwork and he should be certified by them in a couple more weeks..

Ellen and Shadow Walker

Hello and welcome! Shadow is a beautiful dog, and sounds like he will be just the ticket to help you live a better quality life! There are a few service dogs and therapy dogs here on PT, I'm sure you'll hear from them eventually. Gina's dog Crayola is her service dog (Golden Retriever), and Cincy, and Spot, and Sadie are all therapy dogs that belong to a couple in Toledo. There may be others, too. Hope you enjoy PT, we'd love to get to know you and shadow better!

Shadow is not only beautiful but an amazing dog! And so are you - for your perseverence and trust in him. Congratulations to both of you - a remarkable spirit and wonderful relationship to have.

I don't personally have experience with Service Dogs however, I worked in an office complex for many years that had a service dog training facility. Most of the pups were golden labradors and began their training at very young ages. They would come to "work" with their trainers every day and often we would see them in the mall. This was an excellent place for the trainers to bring the puppies and test their abilities to take commands and respond accordingly. I did meet some of the trainers (and the puppers too ) and was able to learn a bit about their efforts. The dogs were incredible.

Welcome to Pet Talk - I hope you visit often and share your experiences with Shadow.

Betty
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Welcome to PT!

Yes, I have a service dog. I have Borderline Personality Disorder and occasionally I have days where my medication just doesn't seem to work. I'll be anxious and prone to panic attacks, dizzy, I'll have "brain shivers," and I'll get really depressed. Though I haven't had a psychotic episodes since being on medication, I'm always worried that on one of these days I may have one. On these days I bring Visa with me into public. She helps to keep me calm, she gives me something to focus on, and I won't panic if she's with me. If I'm going to be manic she will definatly alert me. She's a life-saver, she's been everywhere with me. I'm going to donate puppies from her future litters to the service dog society here in BC.
    I've been BOO'd!