Thread: Eating Stool From The Litter Box

Eating Stool From The Litter Box

I think my Cat ( Bootsie ) might be eating stool and perhaps some litter from the litter box. I use Yesterday's News and I am afraid this will hurt her, and make her very sick. Has anyone ever had this problem ? I am going into the Vet's office on Friday with another cat, and I will ask him about this. Do you have any suggestions as to why she would be doing this. I feed them Science Diet food. I have six cats and I just saw her doing this today. Thanks for any help you can give me. Lois

Glad to hear you already have an appointment with your vet who will be better able to answer this for you.

I have heard of this problem in dogs, never cats before. In the dogs at our hosp. that have had this problem, it usually comes down to either bad habit or deficiency of necessary digestive enzymes (which is easily tested for and put on medication for life usually). Once in a great while it comes down to poor nutrition (not the same as natural dificency of enzymes).

I'm rather curious to see what your vet says in this situation involving a cat. Please keep us posted!

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

did you find out why your cat was eating stool and litter??

My Vet does not think that is what she was doing. He thinks that maybe she was just smelling it. He has never heard of a cat doing this, only dogs. I did not see her eat it. I just saw her head down in the litter box, and it looked that way to me. I have not seen her do it since, and I am keeping a good eye on her !! I will keep you posted if I see her do it again.