Thread: So Tiffany's not healing as well as I'd hoped...

So Tiffany's not healing as well as I'd hoped...

Tiffany's spaying incision won't heal. It's been a 8 days, and there was a big hole, you could see some of the internal stitches, so I took her to her vet. The vet used skin glue to close the incision and gave her a 14 day course of antibiotics....... that was late this morning. The hole in the incision has reopened, and I can't figure out why. She's not as active as she has been, she doesn't lick it much, but it's still red and inflammed and open..... I'm nervous, but can't do anything else, the vet is closed, I can't take another day off work for it, otherwise I won't be able to pay for her medicine or food, and if Saturday is the earliest she can be seen by a vet.............

Oh, poor Tiffany.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you. Maybe the vet can tell you something on the phone tomorrow until you can get in on Saturday with her. Maybe she will need to wear a cone. Is it possible she is licking it a lot when you aren't there to see? Maybe another glueing and then a cone to keep her away from it will do the trick.

Please keep us updated and good luck.

From Decker with Love

Poor girl...I hope the antibiotics will help and she will leave it alone.

A home-made cone...trying to remember where I saw this...cut a round circle of heavy stiff paper; cut a smaller Tiffany-neck size hole in the middle. Cut a slit from the outside to the hole...and then punch two small holes in it so you can put in a ribbon or some bias binding and tie it up(not too tight).

Don't know if that made any sense.

Is this your regular vet? Is there another one you can talk to? Can you board her at your vet for one day while you go to work?

Poor baby...prayers going big time for her and you!!!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

thanks everyone, guess I'll try and sleep some now..

One last thing - is there an emergency vet you can at least call?

I hope you sleep...and that Tiffany heals soon. Don't be afraid to seek a second opinion, though I know your time is limited!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I really hope she heals up nice and quickly for you... keep us posted..

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope that the antibiotics will help and that she'll be able to see a vet soon. Please continue to keep us updated about her.

Oh, no.. Poor Tiffany.. poor you!

Hoping for the best for both of you!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

We are praying for Poor Tiffany.
    The spay operation is not a complex one, and it sounds as though they might have done something wrong.
    In that case you shouldnt have to pay anymore to fix her.
    I have never had that problem with a female Cat.
    Good Luck with Tiffany.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I'm surprised your vet didn't send her home with an e-collar. She has to be licking it, just in private when mommy isn't looking! I think you can buy them in other stores rather than just a vet's office, I would definitely do that until your vet can see her again!

Good luck, and be a good girl, Tiff!

I agree with the collar thing!!
    But I would try to see any other vet asap; an open incision,, that sounds pretty scary to me....
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

An update:
    I was able to get her in to our vet this evening (Friday). She wasn't concerned about the hole, partly because it was smaller then before, and very little redness, but mostly because the internal stitches were still fine. She outfitted us with a soft collar, which my little Tiffany just loves, let me tell you. I think I might finally be seeing some of that infamous 'tortitude' everyone keeps talking about. But all in all, I am hoping for the best, and with her not being able to lick her stomach, or do much beyond walking in to walls, I'm sure she'll be okay.
    I want to thank everyone for their kinds words of support and their advice, it's mean a lot, so thank you!
    Cheers!

I'm glad to hear that Tiffany is fine. I don't think I've met a cat yet that likes an e-collar. My baby girl Ziggy just got spayed today and is also wearing one. She also hates it but it's for her own good. I hope that Tiffany will make a speedy recovery.

We Will Continue To Pray Until Little Tiffany Is All Better.
    Shes Such A Super Cute Super Tortie!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS