Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another reason to spay/neuter (WARNING: GRAPHIC)

another reason to spay/neuter (WARNING: GRAPHIC)

I read this and it has been making me ball my eyes out for hours. but the tears that i cry give me more determination to at least TRY and make a difference, with the shelter i open. i thought i should pass it on, so maybe we can all put our minds together and DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!! ......

Yes, I Gas Dogs and Cats for a Living.

I'm an Animal Control officer in a very small town in central North
    Carolina.

I'm in my mid thirties, and have been working for the town in
    different positions since high school.

There is not much work here, and working for the county provides good
    pay and benefits for a person like me without a higher education.
    I'm the person you all write about how horrible I am.

I'm the one that gasses the dogs and cats and makes them suffer. I'm
    the one that pulls their dead corpses out smelling of Carbon Monoxide
    and throws them into green plastic bags. But I'm also the one that
    hates my job and hates what I have to do.

First off, all you people out there that judge me, don't. God is
    judging me, and I know I'm going to --heck--. Yes, I'm going to --heck--. I
    wont lie, it's despicable, cold, cruel and I feel like a serial
    killer. I'm not all to blame, if the law would mandate spay and
    neuter, lots of these dogs and cats wouldn't be here for me to gas.
    I'm the devil, I know it, but I want you people to see that there is
    another side to me the devil Gas Chamber man.

The shelter usually gasses on Friday morning.

Friday's are the day that most people look forward to, this is the
    day that I hate, and wish that time will stand still on Thursday
    night. Thursday night, late, after nobody's around, my friend and I
    go through a fast food line, and buy 50 dollars worth of
    cheeseburgers and fries, and chicken. I'm not allowed to feed the
    dogs on Thursday, for I'm told that they will make a mess in the gas
    chamber, and why waste the food.

So, Thursday night, with the lights still closed, I go into the
    saddest room that anyone can every imagine, and let all the doomed
    dogs out out their cages.

I have never been bit, and in all my years doing this, the dogs have
    never fought over the food. My buddy and I, open each wrapper of
    cheeseburger and chicken sandwich, and feed them to the skinny,
    starving dogs. They swallow the food so fast, that I don't believe
    they even taste it. There tails are wagging, and some don't even go
    for the food, they roll on their backs wanting a scratch on their
    bellys. They start running, jumping and kissing me and my buddy.
    They go back to their food, and come back to us. All their eyes are
    on us with such trust and hope, and their tails wag so fast, that I
    have come out with black and blues on my thighs.. They devour the
    food, then it's time for them to devour some love and peace. My
    buddy and I sit down on the dirty, pee stained concrete floor, and we
    let the dogs jump on us. They lick us, they put their butts in the
    air to play, and they play with each other. Some lick each other,
    but most are glued on me and my buddy.

I look into the eyes of each dog. I give each dog a name.
    They will not die without a name.

I give each dog 5 minutes of unconditional love and touch.
    I talk to them, and tell them that I'm so sorry that tomorrow they
    will die a gruesome, long, torturous death at the hands of me in the
    gas chamber.

Some tilt their heads to try to understand.

I tell them, that they will be in a better place, and I beg them not
    to hate me.

I tell them that I know I'm going to --heck--, but they will all be
    playing with all the dogs and cats in heaven.

After about 30 minutes, I take each dog individually, into their
    feces filled concrete jail cell, and pet them and scratch them under
    their chins.

Some give me their paw, and I just want to die. I just want to die.
    I close the jail cell on each dog, and ask them to forgive me.
    As my buddy and I are walking out, we watch as every dog
    is smiling at us and them don't even move their heads.
    They will sleep, with a full belly, and a false sense of security.
    As we walk out of the doomed dog room, my buddy and I go to the cat
    room.

We take our box, and put the very friendly kittens and pregnant cats
    in our box.

The shelter doesn't keep tabs on the cats, like they do the dogs.
    As I hand pick which cats are going to make it out, I feel like I'm
    playing God, deciding whose going to live and die.

We take the cats into my truck, and put them on blankets in the back.
    Usually, as soon as we start to drive away, there are purring cats
    sitting on our necks or rubbing against us.

My buddy and I take our one way two hour trip to a county that is
    very wealthy and they use injection to kill animals.

We go to exclusive neighborhoods, and let one or two cats out at a
    time.

They don't want to run, they want to stay with us. We shoo them away,
    which makes me feel sad.

I tell them that these rich people will adopt them, and if worse
    comes to worse and they do get put down, they will be put down with a
    painless needle being cradled by a loving veterinarian.

After the last cat is free, we drive back to our town.
    It's about 5 in the morning now, about two hours until I have to gas
    my best friends.

I go home, take a shower, take my 4 anti-anxiety pills and drive to
    work.. I don't eat, I can't eat.

It's now time, to put these animals in the gas chamber. I put my ear
    plugs in, and when I go to the collect the dogs, the dogs are so
    excited to see me, that they jump up to kiss me and think they are
    going to play.

I put them in the rolling cage and take them to the gas chamber. They
    know. They just know. They can smell the death.. They can smell the
    fear.

They start whimpering, the second I put them in the box.
    The boss tells me to squeeze in as many as I can to save on gas.
    He watches. He knows I hate him, he knows I hate my job.
    I do as I'm told. He watches until all the dogs, and cats (thrown in
    together) are fighting and screaming. The sounds is very muffled to
    me because of my ear plugs.

He walks out, I turn the gas on, and walk out.

I walk out as fast as I can. I walk into the bathroom, and I take a
    pin and draw blood from my hand. Why? The pain and blood takes my
    brain off of what I just did.

In 40 minutes, I have to go back and unload the dead animals. I pray
    that none survived, which happens when I overstuff the chamber. I
    pull them out with thick gloves, and the smell of carbon monoxide
    makes me sick. So does the vomit and blood, and all the bowel
    movements. I pull them out, put them in plastic bags.

They are in heaven now, I tell myself. I then start cleaning up the
    mess, the mess, that YOU PEOPLE are creating by not spay or neutering
    your animals. The mess that YOU PEOPLE are creating by not demanding
    that a vet come in and do this humanely. You ARE THE TAXPAYERS,
    DEMAND that this practice STOP!

So, don't call me the monster, the devil, the gasser, call the
    politicians, the shelter directors, and the county people the devil.
    Heck, call the governor, tell him to make it stop.

As usual, I will take sleeping pills tonight to drown out the screams
    I heard in the past, before I discovered the ear plugs. I will jump
    and twitch in my sleep, and I believe I'm starting to hallucinate.

This is my life. Don't judge me. Believe me, I judge myself enough.

What a heartbreaking story, told from a very different and very shocking angle. That should be printed out into a leaflet and delivered to every home in the world.

If accounts like that don't convince people to spay and neuter, then I don't know what will.

Zimbabwe 07/13

That has just broken my heart
    What an awful story, like Miss Z says if this doesn't convince people to spay their pets then what will. But the thing is only people like us who love and take care of their pets and spay them will read this. How will we get others to read this to make them aware?
    Why is nobody doing something to get gassing banned? I can't believe this goes on? It's like the jews in the second world war, but with animals, why put them through such suffering? What is going on?!!!
    God this makes me so angry I just want to explode

The people who NEED to see this have no interest in reading anything like this. They think it don't apply to them or the pets they breed...

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

OMG! I truly wish every person that lives would be forced to read that story so they can KNOW that their one litter of puppies/kittens DID cause this problem. And I truly mean breeders too (for far too many legitimate breeders are simply NOT selective enough and add to this burden.) MY OPINION.

I remembertalking to a Lady at the SPCA, and it killed her to have to give the needle to so many Animals who are so starved for love.
    And these Poor Souls will all be there to greet you when you arrive at the Rainbow Bridge, and Thank You for you acts of kindness.
    Your letter should be shwon to every potential adopter.
    You and these Poor Ones will live in Paradise while thier Guardians watch behind them with scoops.
    God Bless You for giving those Dogs the five minutes of happiness.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

IS there a petition or group anywhere fighting for no-kill shelters and no-gas euthanasia(sick or badly hurt animals still need this, sadly).

I would support and write letters and everything in a heartbeat!

Anyone have links to people trying to find solutions to this?

Spreading the word is a BIG part of it...someone must be pushing this somewhere!

hugs
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Just want to cry. Such a powerful story there must be a way of putting it to good use
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.

I have to go to the vets in a few days to get Jenny wieghed. I was wondering... Is this thing copywrited or something? Or can I put it up in the waiting room? I hope I can, but thought it would be a good idea to ask.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

That would suck to have that job and i really do wish something would be done.

I kept thinking.. why doesn't she quit, move, or find a new job if she hates it that much. and she is in the usa.. she is a taxpayer.. is she not? So can't she call the governer.

i hope that place gets shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by ylrebmik
    That would suck to have that job and i really do wish something would be done.

I kept thinking.. why doesn't she quit, move, or find a new job if she hates it that much. and she is in the usa.. she is a taxpayer.. is she not? So can't she call the governer.

i hope that place gets shut down.
    It wouldn't matter if he/she quit, the management would simply find some other person to do the dirty work.

As long as their are people allowing their animals to reproduce at will, and as long as there are people who let their unaltered animals roam, and as long as there are people who heartlessly dump off their unwanted pets, then there will ALWAYS be places like that to take care of the dirty job that OTHER PEOPLE created the need for!!!!

Top 8 *cough* reasons *cough* I hear at work for not spaying/neutering...(sorry for the crudeness, but this is what I'm always thinking when people say these things, but because I have to be 'customer friendly' I'm not allowed to say what needs saying the way it needs saying at work, so I'll say it here! Bash me all you want, I'll defend it to the last!!!)

*beginnning of rant*

1) I was always told they should have one litter before surgery. WRONG, INCORRECT, TOTALLY A MYTH!!! Not spaying can increase risk of pyrometra(sp?) which is an infected uterus that can KILL (we just lost a chihuahua to this recently even after we tried everything to save it!!) Not spaying also increases the risk of deadly mammary tumors! Not neutering increases the risk of: urine spraying, fighting, getting lost or hit by a car roaming!!! IS THAT ONE LITTER WORTH IT? NO!

2) But my fluffy/fido is soooo cute and special there should be more like him/her. SHELTERS/POUNDS ARE FULL OF CUTE/SPECIAL ANIMALS THAT ARE BEING PUT DOWN EVERY DAY BECAUSE THERE ARE TOO MANY!!

3) Neutering/spaying will make my animal fat and lazy. WRONG, TOO MUCH FOOD, NOT ENOUGH EXCERSIZE MAKES THEM FAT AND LAZY, MAYBE IF YOU'D GET OFF THE COUCH YOURSELF YOU'D FIGURE THAT OUT!!!

4) It's too expensive. IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD THIS HOW ON EARTH ARE YOU GONNA AFFORD THE EMERGENCY BILL WHEN YOUR PET HAS BIRTHING COMPLICATIONS, OR FEEDING/CARING FOR THE PUPPIES/KITTENS? FUNNY HOW YOU SEEM TO AFFORD THAT CADILLAC IN THE PARKING LOT, AND THE FLORIDA VACATION YOU WERE TALKING IN THE LOBBY ABOUT TAKING!

5) I want my dog/cat to be a male! IT IS A MALE YOU DOLT, NEUTERING DOESN'T CHANGE IT'S SEX, GET OUT OF YOUR OWN FRAGILE EGO FOR A MOMENT AND REALIZE THAT JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A MASCULINITY PROBLEM, DOESN'T MEAN YOUR PET HAS ONE TOO!!!

6) I'll have to think about it for a while. WELL WHILE YOUR THINKING ABOUT IT FOR 4 YEARS, AND ALLOWING RANDOM BREEDING CONTRIBUTING TO EUTHANIZING ANIMALS IN SHELTERS, DON'T EXPECT ANY KIND OF SYMPATHY FROM ME WHEN YOU CALL UP WHINING BECAUSE FIDO/FLUFFY IS MARKING ALL OVER YOUR HOUSE WITH URINE AND THE STENCH MAKES YOUR EYES WATER AND IT'S RUINED YOUR IMPORTED LEATHER COUCH. DON'T EXPECT ANY SYMPATHY FROM ME WHEN YOUR PET IS KEEPING YOU UP ALL HOURS OF THE NIGHT WHINING/YOWLING TO GO OUTSIDE!! DON'T EXPECT ANY SYMPATHY FROM ME WHEN FIDO/FLUFFY GETS INTO A FIGHT OVER TERRITORY AND YOU CAN'T AFFORD THE EMERGENCY BILL TO PUT HIM BACK TOGETHER, I'LL FEEL BAD FOR THE ANIMAL BUT NOT YOU! DON'T EXPECT ANY SYMPATHY FROM ME WHEN YOU COME IN WITH A HORRIBLE CASE OF PYOMETRA AND YOU ALREADY WAITED A MONTH FOR IT TO "CLEAR UP ON IT'S OWN" AND WE HAVE TO EUTHANIZE THE ANIMAL WHICH COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED IF YOU HADN'T WAITED.....TWICE!!!! I'LL FEEL BAD FOR THE ANIMAL BUT NEVER FOR YOU!!!

7) But fluffy/fido never goes outside. WHAT YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF 'A FIRST TIME FOR ANYTHING' LIKE MAYBE SOMEONE DIDN'T SHUT THE DOOR FAST ENOUGH? MAMMARY TUMORS, PYOMETRA, URINE MARKING AND AGGRESSION DON'T REQUIRE GOING OUTDOORS!! I SUPPOSE YOU THINK THAT ONLY SMOKERS CAN GET CANCER, AND ONLY FIREFIGHTERS DIE IN FIRES?? GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR REAR AND GO VISIT A SHELTER ON EUTHANASIA DAY!

8) But fluffy/fido is pedigreed! YEAH SO WHAT, DOES THAT MAKE IT MANDATORY YOU SHOULD BREED HIM/HER? LAST YEAR WE HAD A CLIENT WHO PAID $400 AT A PET SHOP FOR A "PEDIGREE" DOG, THE "PEDIGREE" WAS ONLY A HEALTH CERTIFICATE AND IT SAID THE "BREED" WAS A POODLE TERRIER MIX!!!

I'm normally a nice person, but when people can't do something so simple as a spay/neuter they have NO BUSINESS having a pet in the first place!!! Come to think of it, when they say they 'can't afford' any routine medical, prescription food, rechecks, or minor emergency care, I don't think they should have pets either. NO WHERE IN ANY CONSTITUTION OR BILL OF RIGHTS DOES IT STATE THAT A PERSON MUST OWN A PET!!! I get so sick of hearing people whining all day long that they can't afford to take care of their animal but they 'don't want it to suffer'. GEEZE like it hasn't suffered for the last 2 months while you tried to decide if you should even call the vet, I mean like how much could a phone call cost for crying out loud! Even if you don't take your pet to us, take it somewhere, don't sit watching it suffer because you took on a responsibility you couldn't handle and the poor pet is suffering because it relies on you for care! If you can't afford to take care of it, if you can't manage to bring the pet in, then give the pet to someone who can and will give it the care it deserves!

*end of rant*

Sorry folks, that gets me going something fierce and I'm not allowed to say stuff like that to the clients at work which really stinks!

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

unfortunately, i got this post from a thread in another forum, that i sometimes watch from time to time. and the person who posted it just said something like "i found this, and wanted to share it". if i can get ahold of the link, that it came from, i will let you guys know. but the way that the article was "posted" made it seem like the person who did it WANTED it to be shared. also i think it was probably made by someone under "anynomous" from the sounds of things. i don't know though, i will find the link and see if anyone else can help figure out where it came from.

They will just hire a new person. And with this person at least he dose something for them by going out every Thursday night. Thats such a sad story
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

My husband is an AC officer, our county doesn't use gas, but this part of the job is still dreadful to him too. But it is one part of the job, he also is able to help way more families then the number of animals that he has to put down. Our county is very difficult to get money from, we need a new shelter bad. Our shelter was only built to hold up to 16 dogs and like 20 cats, but on most days it has 50 dogs and 50 cats or more! Thing don't get fixed when needed. The board for the shelter has been fighting with the county commissioners for years now and the only time things get done, is when the press gets involved, you can alway tell when its close to election time, so maybe somethings will get done. Animals being put down is the fault of us, the owners, all of us know someone who has given us an animal for whatever stupid reason. I strongly believe that every animal should be requirred to be spayed/neutured. AC officers are not the bad guys, most own their own animals too!

Quote Originally Posted by dionne
    unfortunately, i got this post from a thread in another forum, that i sometimes watch from time to time. and the person who posted it just said something like "i found this, and wanted to share it". if i can get ahold of the link, that it came from, i will let you guys know. but the way that the article was "posted" made it seem like the person who did it WANTED it to be shared. also i think it was probably made by someone under "anynomous" from the sounds of things. i don't know though, i will find the link and see if anyone else can help figure out where it came from.

I tend to be a doubter of things that arrive in my inbox, or when someone says 'I read/heard this somewhere'. So I did some checking out on this one and the only place I found it was Craigslist. I cannot validate the authenticity of the letter, or even the author however, regardless I think it's message is a good one, kinda in-your-face, this world needs that sometimes.

This letter is not one I'd spread around unless I made absolutely certain that people knew it's authorship/authenticity was in question, and that anyone passing it along would also pass along that it could not be verified at this time as truth but simply as a story with a moral.

I think I'll wait a little longer to see if Breakthechain or Urbanlegends has any information as to the truthfullness of it before I start emailing it around, there's already too many lies in people's inboxes now to need another one (ie. flesh eating bannanas, fabreeze warnings, needles on toilets etc.).

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022