Thread: Cainan Has ROUNDWORMS!!!

Cainan Has ROUNDWORMS!!!

Oh man, this is very upsetting to me! i know im making this alot bigger than it really is, but i've never gone threw this with a dog and im just scared for him! the vet. assistant told me it'll be cleared up as soon as i get the med. in him but im still worried! Ill give you all a little story and then ask questions at the end!
    ***today cainan had a vet appt. at 10:30 so we headed outside to the truck to take him when he didnt want to get in the truck so he backed up and i pulled tighter on the leash...she wiggled outa the leash and took off, when i reached down to grab him before he took off too far i grabbed his back, and then he turned around and grabbed ahold of my hand with all his little teeth, he broke the skin in two places but i told him to not bite and headed back to the truck(totally my fault for grabbing him wrong, but i just reached down real quicK as to not loose him) so we headed off to the vet, I being airheaded forgot the fecal sample and the vet checked him out anyways, and said he looked good! we just had to drop the sample off after he went #2 later on that day! So after we finally went, i took it back to the vet and dropped it off! back at home i was starting to gather my laundry so i could take it to the laundry mat when the vet. assistant called me back! She broke the news to me that my little guy had round worms and to stop in anytime to grab his medication! so i headed straight there, i didnt want to waste any time! On the way to the vet i decided i needed to call the guy we purchased cainan from to inform him of what we found and if he had any left, to get them to the vet right away! I called and told him of my findings and the didnt seem to care @ ALL!! GRRR....!! All the man said was well the mom was infested with ALL kinds of worms before the puppies were born, she probably passed them on to the pups! (well thats nice to know, maybe you could have told me, or had them checked out properly before hand) but anyways, he thanked me for calling and then went on about our business! I finally started thinking about when we went to visit the puppies and how cainan looks awfully bloated, but coco was like that so i didnt put a second thought to it(and she didnt have any worms) Cainan has a hard time pooping to, and seems to walk around while pooping, trying to get it to come out! And so anyways, when we first went to buy him, he didnt live in the cleanest conditions and one of the puppies was throwing up ALOT and the other puppies were eating it...we then decided we DEF. didnt want the puppy who kept throwing up! And now that we look back...there was something wrong right then and should have said no because of the un-sanitary conditions and the things we saw going on in that dirty/awful kennel but all i knew was, i was taking a puppy out of that and give him a better life then he probably would have! ***
    So my questions are...
    1. because i was bit, and actually broke skin...is there a chance i could get it?
    2. Coco was vacinated but she sniff each other and lick each other also...can coco still get it even tho she was vacinated at her last check up?
    3. is there anything i should expect with his medication i gave him? will he throw up or have diahrea or anything?
    thanks everyone for the help in advance!!!

I just read that most puppies are born with round worms???? It's easy to get rid of with medication. I know people can get round worms too, but not sure how, ask your vet or call your doctor. It looked like that Coco most likely would have them too, did your vet remember that you have another puppy at home? I think I have read on this site before that all dogs in your home should be treated when one has them! Good luck, sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

The best person to call would be your vet, just to be on the safe side. Hope everyone is on the mend now
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

cainan got his medication and i can actually tell his attitude has changed a little bit! normally he's pretty hyper but its a little touch and go, and now he races around like never before, his whole attitude has increased about 10 or 15 percent it's pretty amazing! I asked the vet assistant when i picked up his medicine and she said that she could have them too, but next time she goes to the vet to have her check just in case! but im still kinda wery anyways, so when cainan goes back for his last booster shots im going to take a sample just in case! They said that older dogs dont get them that often, in fact it's kind of rare!?! but i dunno about that,i guess we'll see! thanks everyone for the response!

If you Google Roundworms there are tons of sites that tell you all about it.
    Here's on for starters:
    http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...7263--,00.html
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by coco-bean
    1. because i was bit, and actually broke skin...is there a chance i could get it?
    I have worked as a vet assistant for 5 years and have never heard of roundworms infecting people in that manner before. You'd be more likely to contract rabies, or some nasty infection than roundworms. Roundworms can infect people, particularly children because they crawl around in the yard and put their dirty hands in their mouths alot. The CDC (center for disease control) has information about this in a pamphlet distributed by Merial. This pamphlet is one of the regular informational brochures we place in our 'puppy packs' given to each of our clients with a new puppy. It's a PFD document available online also.

2. Coco was vacinated but she sniff each other and lick each other also...can coco still get it even tho she was vacinated at her last check up?
    There is no vaccine for roundworms. Roundworms are passed from dog to dog by contact with their stool. Be sure to pick up all stools from Cainan and throw them in the trash. Roundworm eggs (which are microscopic) can live in a yard for years. At our clinic we not only regularly do worming on puppies (whether we have a positive stool sample or not), but also recommend dogs younger than 2 years being on a heartworm medication like Heartgard Plus or Tri Heart Plus year round because it also contains medication for roundworms, that way they are wormed every month so the owners (and their children) don't have to worry about this with their pets.

3. is there anything i should expect with his medication i gave him? will he throw up or have diahrea or anything?
    Your vet probably gave you Strongid-T or some similar yellowish liquid (at least that's what we use). some puppies with a bad case of roundworms will vomit up worms that (sorry for the analogy) look like spaghetti. Nasty yes, I agree. Strongid-T (or one of the aforementioned heartworm preventatives) will often show they are working by the dog passing some worms in the stool in a day or two after using it. I can't tell you how many calls I've taken from clients in a panic after giving a heartworm preventative and now they're convinced it 'gave their dog worms'. It usually takes a few minutes to get them calmed down and to understand that it means the medicine is working. Diahrrea isn't a common side effect of the medication we use, you'd need to check with your vet as to the particular wormer they gave you to use.

As a side note, it's not uncommon at all for puppies to have roundworms, it's one of the most common worms we see day in and day out in puppies. Yes they do get them from their mothers or from unsanitary conditions from other dogs with roundworms. Personally it sounds like the person you got Cainan from was not particularly concerned with the condition of his breeders or their pups. A good breeder usually does at least one dose of wormer and a vet check before pups are allowed for sale. At least the ones around here do anyways.

Regardless, since you have the meds now your puppy should be fine, and you can relax.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by mayabress
    a perfect wormer you can find in www.cosmic1.net.
    I checked out that link, I have a few problems with it...

1) According to it's own website 'A new revolutionary wormer' however under the ingredients area it says 'a known deworming medicine'. This seems contradictory to me

2) For both the dewormer and the food it only states it was made by 'top manufacturers who meet the highest standards'. No where does it list the actual companies involved. I'd be skeptical of a product hiding this information if they are such 'top manufacturers'. Also who's highest standards? What authorities approved this? Who is the veterinarian who helped formulate this stuff and is he still practicing? Any reliable company should be willing to put this information up front to back their 'claims'.

3) According to their own website 'The ingredients are specified on the package'. So in otherwords they want your money before you get to find out exactly what you are paying for.

4) I'd be leary of feeding any pet a food with such limited information as this one gives.

5) The website states it gets 'all kinda of worms', however does not list them by name the ones it 'claims' to 'get'. There is NO such thing as a deworming medicing that gets all the different kinds of worms/parasites that your pet can have (rounds, whips, hooks, tapes, coccidia, etc). And some worms/parasites can ONLY be found by a fecal examination under a microscope!

6) It's never a good idea to just randomly medicate your pet without having had a diagnosis first by a licensed vet! Giving pets medications for possibly the wrong illness can possibly cause further complications with what is really going on, AND make your vets job harder by having to deal with any medication you've used (that may/may not work) that may react with what your vet would like to use that will work.

Honestly not only would I not feed this to any of my pets, but I would never recommend it to anyone in good concious either.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022