Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Abandoned Kitten

HELP! Abandoned Kitten

Hey everyone,
    I just got home from a long weekend away, and found an abandoned kitten underneathe my house.. it's obvious that the mom moved all teh litter but this one..all my cats are inside so I have no clue who the mom is.. but anyway, it's about 4 weeks old, i got it to drink some evaporated milk, but i'm clueless as to what to do now, and this dinky town doesn't have an emergency vet clinic.. any suggestions?

HI, there - there are some people who post a lot in Cat General that can help you - so I am going to copy the link to your message there!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thank you!

Hi Ashes..I commend you on rescuing this tiny wonder. First, you will need to make it a safe, warm sleeping area. A box with towels in a dry area in your house will do nicely. Second, you will need to pick up some KMR or JUST BORN from your local pet store. It is milk replacement. You should be able to get a bottle at the pet store as well. If the kit denies the bottle, just use a syringe or eye dropper. Feed every four hours or whenever the kit cries...usually at that age they can be fed every four to six hours. If the kitten is lapping up milk, then just place the formula in a saucer or small dish. The kit may be ready for baby food. Pick up a couple of cans of Gerber, Stage 2 Lamb. It has the most powerfull smell, and kits love the taste. Offer the kit a teaspoon full in between feedings. In about a week or two you can mix in kitten soft food and wean him/her off the baby food. Then in another week or so you can add in dry kitten food and wean him/her off the soft. Be sure to stimulate the kits bowel movements. Just use a warm wet washcloth and gently rub the bottom area and urinary area to stimulate urine and feces. The kit should start using a litter box soon. Just offer it a small box (like a shoe box top) with non-clumping litter. The dust from the clumping can cause lung problems for the tiny kit. Get it to the vet ASAP so it can be dewormed and you can ask the vet anything you may be concerned about. Good luck and I hope I helped you. Please keep us posted on this tiny wonder....pics would be great.

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org

I can't keep her, I have a husky that would probalby unintentionally hurt her, not ot mention my other three cats HATE any other cat that comes around..... but i'm going to find her a good home after the vet tommorrow.. Thank you so much for your help...
    Here is a picture of her---at least I think it's a her----

Last edited by ashesbashes; 10-01-2006 at 10:48 PM. Reason: include pic

Awwwww! Hopefully you can keep her just until she is on solid food, and litter trained. She'll adapt better to a home that way.

Bless you for taking her in! Can you look after her a little while longer?

She is a cutie!

Yes, I'm going to try to until she is trained and on solid food.. if I can't because of the dog .... my grandmother said she willl, and I'm fairly certain my friend Sara is going to be her permanent home, but she's in Tennessee, and I dont want to transport her long distances in the car until she's on solid food and all..... Don't worry, I'd keep her if i could, i'm a sucker for cats, but I just can't. The kitty will be very well taken care of..

You shoulld get some KMR, and maybe Royal Caning Baby Kitten Food which you can mositen.
    And its usually very value priced too.
    Good Luck with that Baby, from the Found Cats.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Turns out the kitten is only a week and ahalf old, so HE is on kitten formula and i'm bottle feeding her. It's actually a homemade recipe our vet created and uses. HE is doing well, and will most likely stay with me, because I've become attached already. If it works out w/ the rest of my pets that is.. i can't come up with a name though b/c I"m trying really hard not to get attached.. it's not working.. anyway just wanted to update you all..

Don't worry....there are many people on PT who have "failed" fostering a cat!

1 1/2 weeks! Oh my goodness! If you are getting attached he must have a personality already!

How about Newt for a name? Short for Newton - or like those little cute lizards with smooth skin.

Oops, sorry about the name. Don't want you to get attached!

Name

So much for getting attached, it's going to kill me if it doesnt work out with my other pets...and yes it has a personality all ready.. the little guy is killing me, i can't stand to be away from him!!
    As for a name, I want to name it Carter, because it reminds me of NIck Carter from the Backstreet Boys--why I don't know but it does. My mom wants to name it Jack Sparrow, because he reminds her of Captian Jack from Pirates, and my uncle wants me to name it Simba because it reminds him of a tiger... so we're all arguing over it at the moment. Although techicnally my uncle doesn't have a say if I keep it, but if he gets it, he does.. so we'll see..right now we call him "kitty" lol

thanks again for everyones help!

Ash

how is the kitten doing today? please keep us updated!

He'd good, still no name, but doing really well. He and my husky puppy are getting along amazingly, not so much with my other cats though. But he's happy, and healthy as of now, he goes back to the vet on Monday. just to make sure

ummm....so are there more PICS????

Update w/ Pics

Hey everyone,
    The kitten is great, just got back from the Vet today. We're probably going to keep him, he still doesn't have a name though. I had some drama with my husky (he is okay now though). So I haven't had time to post.. anyway.. here is a picture i took today while he was attacking a string!