Thread: New tricks...??

Question New tricks...??

As some of you know already, i've been having some trouble with coco listening to me! She's gotten probably 10% better with the help of an over abundance of treats(she threw up last night, so i think it may have been too many) but i was just curious what are some new tricks i can try and teach her, or more of less, commands i guess! she knows, sit very very well! down(from couch or bed) decently, lay down(on her belly), gettin there, and stay (when we walk away from her)! I know that i could just keep practicing those commands with her so she gets those, but today i just tried to get her to stay with the treat is on her nose! She doesnt quite get the concept yet, but it's okay, it's just the first day! but i guess is there some tips or hints you could tell me to help me teach her these new tricks easier, such as stay with the treat on her nose, or shake...or possibly roll over! (those are the ones i want to get accomplished also! Thanks again!
    P.S. how do i sit next to her without her totally consuming my face with her tongue and mouth! i keep telling her no when she licks, but she just loves to give kisses TOO much! How do i get her to just sit there without giving me another shower?

Hmmm...definitely keep working on the basics of Sit, Down, Stay and Come! Theres a rule...if your dog does it reliably 30 times in a row (or something like that, I don't really remember, lol) and does it the first time you ask, they have it down!

Do you have a word that you say everytime she does something right? I would recommend teaching that. I would sit down with a bunch of treats, say YES! or Good girl and give a treat. Do this over and over so eventually she'll understand that when you say YES! she gets a treat. I'd also teach a release word I use 'okay' but you could say whatever you want. Have her sit, she sits say yes, give a treat then say OKAY! and bounce around happily. That way she knows when you say OKAY! she can break from the sit and all is hunky dory.

Shake: To teach shake what I would do (and have done with all 5 of my dogs!) is to grab the paw, say 'yes' and give a treat. Do this OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again. Eventually they'll start offering a paw (how long before they start offering the paw depends from dog to dog, some pick up what you want reeally fast and others take a few days/weeks). I wouldn't even say the work Shake yet until she offers a paw. When she offers you her paw when you stick out your hand say Shake, yes, give treat. In my experience shake is one of the easiest tricks you can teach, and can unfortuantely be a pain in the butt sometimes because she'll always be offering you her paw!

Roll over: lay her down, hold a treat right by her ear so she has to shift her body and look sideways and then gently roll her over and once she makes it all the way over say Yes! Do this until she's comfortable doing it. Some dogs FREAK out when you try to do this, just be patient and don't force her to roll! Shadow (my Rottie) has ALWAYS hated rolling over, so I never taught her this one. However, it's Kyra's favorite trick ever! (Here's a video, lol. http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?use...1&ctime=155524 ) If the treat by the ear method doesn't work you could always lay her down in front of you, push her on her side and slowly guide her over. It works too.

I'm not sure what to tell you about your last question, though! Jack does the same thing, but I looooove it

And with balancing a treat, I would just hold her nose, put the treat on it, tell her to hold it (or whatever command you choose) say yes, remove the treat and give it to her. Do this over and over and slowly increase the amount of time she holds it and slowly remove your hands from her nose.

I hope this all made sense, I can do it, I just can't explain it very well! Good luck! Training tricks to my dogs is one of my most favorite things to do!! I LOVE it, and its so much fun to 'show off' in front of friends and family!

Soon you'll be getting her to do things like this!!
    http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?use...3&ctime=091352

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

U ASK Y MY BOXER WAS SO SKINNY? I WONDERED THAT MYSELF BUT THE VET SAID SHE WAS PERFECTLY PROPORTIONED. I WAS FEEDING HER A LOT WHEN I FIRST GOT HER AND ALL SHE DONE WAS POOP ALL THE TIME. MY BROTHER IN LAW IS EXPERIENCED WITH DOGS AND THIS IS MY FIRST, ANYWAY HE SAID I WAS FEEDING HER TO MUCH. SO I STARTED FEEDING HER WHAT THE BAG RECOMMENDED ACCORDING TO HER WAIT AND SHE STARTED POOING NORMAL. AND I HAVE LOOKED AT MANY BOXER PICS AND MOST R ON THE SKINNY SIDE AND SHE WILL FILL OUT MORE AS SHE GROWS. BUT IM TRULY NOT NEGLECTING MY PUP I LUV DAISY. CHECK SOME OUT HERE www.boxerworld.com BE SURE TO LOOK AT A FEW DIFFERENT DOGS AND N DIFFERENT POSITONS TO FORM A GOOD OPINION AND LET ME KNOW WHAT U THINK